SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-17, 08:59 PM   #16
jenrick
Bosun

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

Quote:
The crux of the matter is that it's either this or no mission at all, because moving to a viable launch position on the strategic map and clicking on a button is not a challenge at all.
I have no issue with having to launch and get the TLAM's to the circle on the map and then survive exfiltrating as a game-play mechanic. It's giving the player a mission failure for literally something outside of their control (TLAM on target performance) that I have a problem with. I'd think something along the lines of getting to a certain area on the map, selecting fire from the status menu, and then having a bunch of hunter-killer groups converge on you in the strategic map would be a good option as well. Each their own though.

Also in CMANO it's usually the result of firing them into/through a very high density air-defense environment with no attempt at using terrain. It took me a while to get into the habit of actually planning the route, using terrain masking, etc. Once I did that, they became MUCH more effective for me.
jenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 06:28 AM   #17
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie1983 View Post
Operationally a TLAM strike would be near impossible to meaningfully intercept. With that effective range, their speed, small physical size and contour following guidance, they would be near impossible to stop without airborne interceptors being placed at the right time to find and hit them. It would still be no small feat to hit a missile tracking the ground at low altitude using air to air missiles given the effect of ground clutter on radar.

Even SAM and AAA on the ground at the intended target would have seconds to make a shot. CIWS on the seas is one thing, but on land it is a another matter entirely.
On the other hand, if you launch your missiles from a long distance they can be picked up early by radar (especially if they're flying in a group) and the enemy will have sufficient time to scramble some jets. And I'd assume that for a flight of fighters shooting down 10 missiles is a matter of minutes, considering they fly in a straight line and relatively slow (to a supersonic fighter jet). If I were a pilot I'd even forget the missiles (TLAMS might be too small for them to intercept) and just deal with them using guns.

But if you fire them at closer range even if they are picked up by radar there's not enough time to intercept them.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 10:38 AM   #18
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
On the other hand, if you launch your missiles from a long distance they can be picked up early by radar (especially if they're flying in a group) and the enemy will have sufficient time to scramble some jets. And I'd assume that for a flight of fighters shooting down 10 missiles is a matter of minutes, considering they fly in a straight line and relatively slow (to a supersonic fighter jet). If I were a pilot I'd even forget the missiles (TLAMS might be too small for them to intercept) and just deal with them using guns.

But if you fire them at closer range even if they are picked up by radar there's not enough time to intercept them.
Actually, you would want to launch them as far away as possible. It's not easy to shoot down a TLAM, Unless it was detected at launch and engaged right away. they will be below the radar horizon (about 28 miles given a flight altitude of 100ft and a radar height of 100ft) of any surface radar in 3 minutes and with their ability to have programmed course changes. you wouldn't even have an idea where they are headed. Even fighters with look down/shoot down radar or a Mainstay will have problem picking them up given their size and ground clutter until they are very close.

Last edited by Wiz33; 06-27-17 at 10:47 AM.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 11:28 AM   #19
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
Actually, you would want to launch them as far away as possible. It's not easy to shoot down a TLAM, Unless it was detected at launch and engaged right away. they will be below the radar horizon (about 28 miles given a flight altitude of 100ft and a radar height of 100ft) of any surface radar in 3 minutes and with their ability to have programmed course changes. you wouldn't even have an idea where they are headed. Even fighters with look down/shoot down radar or a Mainstay will have problem picking them up given their size and ground clutter until they are very close.
You may be right. It just seems logical to me that the longer a missile is in flight the greater the chance that it will be discovered and the more time the enemy has to prepare before it reaches its target.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 12:12 PM   #20
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
You may be right. It just seems logical to me that the longer a missile is in flight the greater the chance that it will be discovered and the more time the enemy has to prepare before it reaches its target.
TLAM are suppose to be programmed to avoid all know sensor and populated area but given Murphy's hand in everything. I'm sure there's always a chance that it could be observed by some previously unknown mobile radar or even an alert ground troop. But unlike in the game, communication is not instant, even if they manage to get a positive track, by the time they check the chart and figured out where it's headed (providing it's on the final leg). The alert may not get there in time (an army field unit probably will not have a direct communication link with the air force or navy without bouncing the alert to their regional HQ which in turn to have past the info further down the chain).
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote