Closed Thread

Old 09-08-17, 07:14 AM   #7111
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Arguably so but I'm sure they'd rather be in a position to govern in NI.
The British government is weak because they the Tories failed to gain control and are now in a catch 22 situation with the DUP on one side and the rest of NI party's on the other side.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 09-09-17, 08:03 AM   #7112
STEED
Lucky Jack

Mrs May and the Tories take a hit from a big time doner..

Quote:
Theresa May is a "hopeless" leader of a "weak" government and Britain would be better off with a young Tony Blair at the helm instead, a major Tory donor has said.
http://news.sky.com/story/tory-donor...a-may-11026381

Only big butch Ruth gets a thumbs up.
Quote:
The peer instead backed Scottish Tory leader Ruth Davidson for the top job.

"She's very practical, very solid and won't give in," he said.

"She's clever as well as growing up on a council estate. I think she's top class.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 09-09-17, 08:32 AM   #7113
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Members of Parliament should be given six months' maternity leave, during which a colleague can cast votes on their behalf, Harriet Harman has said.
The former Labour deputy leader, who has had three children while an MP, said a "proper system of baby leave" in Parliament was "long overdue".
Currently maternity and paternity arrangements in Parliament are informal and operate at the party level.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41211741

I'm honestly surprised this provision isn't already in place.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 09-10-17, 11:51 AM   #7114
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Tony Blair has defended his call for new controls on EU migration as a cabinet minister accused him of a belated "epiphany" on the issue.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41216679

I see Teflon Tony is now saying his open door come on in must be a door with a man on the desk and a team to decide who comes in.

Bloody useless sod, put your money where your mouth is!

Answer from Teflon Tony...NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Old 09-11-17, 07:48 AM   #7115
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
DUP-Tory £1bn deal 'needs Parliament's approval'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41226113

Must be bit of a slow news day thanks to batty Mrs May.

Old 09-11-17, 09:21 AM   #7116
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Now that could be a tricky one, especially if the government lose the challenge made in the courts.

Old 09-11-17, 04:18 PM   #7117
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Theresa May 'confident' of winning vote on Brexit bill

The Government says voting against the bill will mean a "chaotic" Brexit, as Labour claims it gives sweeping powers to ministers.
http://news.sky.com/story/theresa-ma...-bill-11030537

EU Union for a UK Union, good bye democracy?

Old 09-12-17, 05:04 AM   #7118
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
http://news.sky.com/story/theresa-ma...-bill-11030537

EU Union for a UK Union, good bye democracy?
Well, it has passed the first stage by a margin of 36 votes so the second reading will probably be as early as Monday.

I do admit to it being potentially used as a power tool to ram through whatever the government feel appropriate though.

Old 09-12-17, 05:09 AM   #7119
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
UK inflation measured by the Consumer Prices Index rose to 2.9% in August, up from 2.6% in July, figures show.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41238822

It can only be a matter of time before savings interest rates rise. Good news for those who have savings but not so good news for those with mortgages and debt etc.

Old 09-12-17, 07:26 AM   #7120
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Well, it has passed the first stage by a margin of 36 votes so the second reading will probably be as early as Monday.

I do admit to it being potentially used as a power tool to ram through whatever the government feel appropriate though.
I did not vote leave so the government can over rule parliament, I know they are a load of sharks, money takers, power crazy loons and so on but I rather have some democracy than the road to dictatorship.

Old 09-12-17, 07:33 AM   #7121
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41238822

It can only be a matter of time before savings interest rates rise. Good news for those who have savings but not so good news for those with mortgages and debt etc.
Not going to happen jim, while interest rates remain where they are it helps the government to pay off the government deficit. Problem is as we and they know and said that paying off is going to take longer as they borrow more adding to the debt. All adding to another world wide recession, if we make it to 2020 I will buy a bottle of champaign, but the dirt will hit the wall before 2025.

Old 09-12-17, 09:20 AM   #7122
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Prison officers will get a 1.7% rise while police will get a 1% pay rise plus a 1% bonus for the year, paid for from existing departmental budgets.
No 10 also signalled the end of the 1% pay cap, saying they recognised the need for more flexibility in future.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41241295

One small step but in the right direction and hopefully the first of many more to come.

Old 09-12-17, 09:27 AM   #7123
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252
Uploads: 0

The Sun was right then.

Looks like my earlier cynicism was misplaced - the main UK Tory Party kept quiet about the SNP's earlier announcement of the same policy.

I wonder if behind the scenes there's a discrete degree of co-ordination between the Tories and the SNP in certain areas?

The Nats were known as Tartan Tories in the past, afterall.

In the meantime, SLab have announced their timetable for the leadership contest between Sarwar and Leonard. We'll know who their new leader will be at the end of November.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 09-12-17, 12:09 PM   #7124
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252
Uploads: 0

Now things get tricky:

Holyrood: No Holyrood consent for Brexit bill 'at this time'

Quote:
The Scottish government will not ask Holyrood to give consent to the EU Withdrawal Bill in its current form.
Brexit minister Mike Russell told MSPs that the legislation posed a threat to the founding principles of devolution.
The Scottish government said there will be no consent motion for MSPs to vote on "at this time", and it will instead seek to amend the bill.
The UK government has insisted that Holyrood will see "significant" new powers devolved after Brexit.
Talks between the two governments over post-Brexit powers for Scotland ended in stalemate in August, although more are expected to be scheduled.
Cardiff: Brexit: Carwyn Jones objects to 'hijack of devolved powers'

Quote:
The Welsh Government has confirmed it will formally object to Theresa May's plan to transfer EU laws to the UK at the point of Brexit.
First Minister Carwyn Jones said the bill "hijacked" powers that "rightfully" belonged in Wales.
AMs will vote on a legislative consent motion, on the grounds that the bill will affect the assembly's competence.
Ex-Welsh Secretary David Jones has said there is a case for EU powers in areas such as farming to go to Westminster.
Brian Taylor's take on the matter: History and Henry VIII at Holyrood in Brexit consent debate

Quote:
Scotland's Brexit Minister is Mike Russell. Perhaps he might be more accurately characterised as the anti-Brexit Minister or the Minister for Mitigating Brexit.
Either way, Mr Russell is a cultured individual, a prolific author indeed. He has a keen interest in Scotland's cultural, social and political history.
So it was no surprise that Mr Russell reached for an historical analogy when delivering a statement to Holyrood on the latest Brexit developments.
The UK government's approach to Scotland was, he said, a modern version of the "rough wooing". Remember? The dating scheme pursued by Henry VIII?
Lacking an app or a website, Henry VIII essayed a rather different approach when seeking to hitch his young son Edward to the infant Mary Queen of Scots. Instead of chocolates and flowers, he opted for swords and gunshot.
Henry has resurfaced as a character in the current Brexit debate. That's because he decided, after careful consideration and full consultation, that the best source of law in England was himself, rather than any pesky Parliament. He took executive powers.
Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 09-12-17, 01:24 PM   #7125
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41241295

One small step but in the right direction and hopefully the first of many more to come.
What the government gives from one hand they take it back with the other.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics