SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-14, 02:50 AM   #1
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 80
Uploads: 0
Default Speaking of Neutral Ships... MFM

Salute, All !!!

When attacking convoys (1942) I have seen ships with EIRE or PANAMA painted on the hulls. They fly no flag and are members of the convoy.

A couple of times there has been a nice big tanker closely trailing a convoy bit with PANAMA on the hull. Again, no flags.

Are these really neutral? I have refrained from attacking, but if they are sailing under British protection perhaps they are belligerent.

Will I be penalized if I shoot them?

AD
Andrewsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 12:31 PM   #2
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

Default "No" and "no"...

Although some have reported different experiences, I've always found this to be true with regard to MFM vessels...

If the ship is not flying any flag, the hull markings are "eye candy" and are for you, Herr Kaleun, to determine if the ship is a valid target based on the circumstances of the moment...in that condition, any ship in a convoy is fair game.

But, if the ship is flying a flag, the status as a neutral vessel, or not, is based on the real-world conditions as of the date which you've reached in the game (refer to the pull-down "Schiffsflaggen" booklet, or print it out and keep it handy at your desk).
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-14, 08:07 AM   #3
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

Thanks, Cap'n !!!

Next time it happens I will attack. Will report the results.

AD
Old 09-25-14, 01:18 PM   #4
frigokar
Sailor man

Downloads: 66

correct me if im wrong but i think MFM only adds ships to Britain and USA since no models of ships from MFM are listed in the museum under other nations.
frigokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 01:49 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by frigokar View Post
correct me if im wrong but i think MFM only adds ships to Britain and USA since no models of ships from MFM are listed in the museum under other nations.
The stock game only includes a tiny handful of ships, and they are all either common American and British types or are generic models that don't really look like anthing at all. MFM includes a very large number of common and less common European and American types that were used by all western nations. The problem is that SH3 requires a comlpete folder for each separate ship listing, so it quickly becomes too large for any computer to handle. SH4 changed that so only one folder is required per type, and creating new ships for different nations doesn't take up nearly as much space. MFM makes the compromise of only listing them as UK and US, but they do show different skins and different flags, so they seem to be from a variety of countries.

Once again the problem lies with the core game, not the mod!
Old 09-25-14, 03:35 PM   #6
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
The stock game only includes a tiny handful of ships, and they are all either common American and British types or are generic models that don't really look like anthing at all. MFM includes a very large number of common and less common European and American types that were used by all western nations. The problem is that SH3 requires a comlpete folder for each separate ship listing, so it quickly becomes too large for any computer to handle. SH4 changed that so only one folder is required per type, and creating new ships for different nations doesn't take up nearly as much space. MFM makes the compromise of only listing them as UK and US, but they do show different skins and different flags, so they seem to be from a variety of countries.

Once again the problem lies with the core game, not the mod!
By way of compromise I added ships with the suffix "X" to neutral and enemy countries' rosters. They can display any hull flags but they will not have animated flags on their flagpoles. It is up to you to decide if a ship marked as neutral is actually a neutral vessel - you must take into account course, speed, deck cargo, and whether it is in an enemy convoy. You can also check and see if the ship starts to zigzag when you approach.

This was the simplest way for me to represent ships from Sweden, Norway, & other countries that sometimes carried cargo to the enemy, despite being neutral.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-14, 08:03 AM   #7
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

ahhhh... that explains my seeing unflagged ships....

AD