SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-16, 01:50 PM   #1
Scorp10n
Watch

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Sinking Ships With Flak AA

Has anybody has any luck with this? I haven't even with a torpedo boat.

Currently playing GWX with SH3.

Any input is appreciated, even if it's a no.

Good luck and fair seas.
Scorp10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 01:58 PM   #2
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp10n View Post
Has anybody has any luck with this? I haven't even with a torpedo boat.

Currently playing GWX with SH3.

Any input is appreciated, even if it's a no.

Good luck and fair seas.
Not really what you're asking but:
I have tried with the AA gun but found it as useful as having a ferris wheel installed. The AA machine gun, on the other hand has been successful against boats and small ships, or finishing off that merchant that wasn't sinking after being hit with torpedos.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 02:33 PM   #3
Scorp10n
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
Not really what you're asking but:
I have tried with the AA gun but found it as useful as having a ferris wheel installed. The AA machine gun, on the other hand has been successful against boats and small ships, or finishing off that merchant that wasn't sinking after being hit with torpedos.
Thank you for your reply Von Due.

I like to hit the engine room on larger ships and then sink the ship with the deck gun once she has come to a stop (which is what prompted my question) so I will make sure to upgrade my U-Boat to the AA machine gun once I am available to do so.

Scorp10n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 02:42 PM   #4
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp10n View Post
Thank you for your reply Von Due.

I like to hit the engine room on larger ships and then sink the ship with the deck gun once she has come to a stop (which is what prompted my question) so I will make sure to upgrade my U-Boat to the AA machine gun once I am available to do so.

For the main deck gun, that thing is brilliant, if you can hit. Best thing is you can of course have both but I'm not sure what boat you are sailing with now as the machine gun is standard even on the bathtub duck type II, IIRC. From memory, both the VII and II start with the machine gun, the VII has the deck gun as well. You can then have both right from the start with the VII. Since you asked about the AA gun, I assume you mean the heavier AA gun and that thing is a joke. Not sure of you can get rid of it though or if it will have any benefits attached to getting rid of it.

Anyway, happy shootin' and hunting.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-16, 02:26 AM   #5
grenadier98
Watch

Downloads: 42

Yesterday I tried this as well and was able to sink an unarmed small freighter (~2400 tons) with the 3,7 cm AA gun. It took 207 AP shells of which all were hits because I was very close and the sea was calm. So in perfect conditions with a lot of time its possible.
grenadier98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 07:38 AM   #6
fumo30
Grey Wolf

I managed to sink medium cargo by only using 20mm AA gun on my type llA.

I concentrated the all the fire at the rear section of the ship aiming waterline. There were no explosions inside the ship, the only explosions were few cargo crates on the deck that I purposely destroyed with few rounds.
After all 1000 rounds were fired at the both flanks and right behind, it took some 15 minutes her to sink.(Rather quickly) I noticed at quite early stage of the attack, that the rear section started to sink after relentless shooting. So, 20mm AA gun do cause considerable flooding to the ships in the game. Its worth of trying in case all torps are used. Smaller ships often explodes from inside causing the ship sinking. I prefer shootin ships right behind with 20mm, I found it the most effective way damaging ships with it.
Maybe theres better ways? If so, please inform me.
I play GWX gold.

BTW. Small merchant is the only small ship type that i never succeeded to sink using 20mm. Even after numerous attempts and when I first stopped it with torpedo hit.
fumo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 08:10 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Every ship has a damage model that contains a differing number of damage points dependant on tonnage and every shell hit will add to the number of damage points destroyed. Hitting a vessel just below the waterline as well as creating onboard fires will speed up the process.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-16, 05:40 PM   #8
Shadowblade
Ensign

Downloads: 11
wolf_howl15

yes, yesterday I have sunk about 7 small ships (about 2K tons each) from large convoy using just my 37 mm Flak gun

Kapitänleutnant Vlad von Carstein - U-Flotilla Saltzwedel - U-123, Type IXB

SH3 GWX 3.0
Shadowblade is offline   Reply With Quote