SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > Eternal Patrol
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-08-09, 01:13 PM   #211
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 216
Uploads: 0

My thoughts and payers are with his family.
May he Rest In Peace
Old 08-08-09, 01:15 PM   #212
Kloef
Weps

Downloads: 30

My condolances to all who knew and loved him.

Although i didnt know him reading some of the posts here i realise the loss is great,i wish all involved lots of strenght and love through these difficult times..

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/

Last edited by Kloef; 08-08-09 at 01:29 PM.
Kloef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 01:40 PM   #213
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

My condolences and prayers. May God rest his soul.
Rest in peace!
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 02:13 PM   #214
John Wertz
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default RIP Captain Zeb

Our condolances go out to Joan, Margaret and to their four daughters, as well as his many, many friends.

Cap'n Zeb was truly an Officer and a Gentleman, of the highest order. It's because of heroes like him and all of our servicemen/women, that we're able to enjoy the liberty and freedoms that we possess today, which he was so proud of in his service.

If you'll indulge me.... we 1st had the honor, privalege and pleasure to meet Zeb when one of his Navy League colleagues and a mutual friend, Brian Klock, introduced my brother and I to him, to assist in raising money for the crew's activities during the week of the commissioning of the USS Texas, down in Galveston(back inthe Fall of 2006).

As the story goes, during some of the rather contentious meetings on a few occasions, Brian was trying to sell the committee on a bunch of us O&G folks putting on a play for the Captains' reception(the night before the commissioning) to raise that money. Amateurs that we all were but seasoned at having raised over $1 million for charaties in the local Houston area, it was suggested to the committee that we combine with the crew and weave several scenes from "The Best Little Whorehouse"(renamed "The Chicken Ranch"), "Chicago", "Road to Key West" and of course, "South Pacific" into our presentation. Brian conveyed to me that, as you can imagine, the traditional Navy committee members were squirming about the whole "play" affair, not to mention anything referring to the Chicken Ranch(i.e.Tailhook redux), because First Lady Laura Bush and practically every Admiral in the Navy was going to be there.

Finally, after listening to input from everyone on the committee, all eyes turned to Cap'n Zeb, and with his cheshire cat grin and folksy laugh, piped in "What's wrong w/the Chicken Ranch? There's probably nothing more represenative of the Navy". Obviously, that drew a huge laugh and from that point on, the play was on.
Word was that he, the Texas crew and many of the cast members shut down several of the Galveston establishments during that week.

Fittingly, he had a spot playing Admiral Nimitz during the play, when he conveyed to the audience, as has been noted previously, that "Submarines were now the Capital ships of the Navy". Truer words were never spoken.

Just over a year ago, he invited several of us, through Brian, to come down and tour the USS Cavalla. We were in awe that this great sailor and gentlemen was not only conveying history, he lived it on that very boat.

Fair winds, Blue skies and Calm Seas on your last patrol, from your friends Rae Lynn and John Wertz.

Last edited by John Wertz; 08-08-09 at 07:22 PM.
John Wertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 03:58 PM   #215
patti
VIP

Downloads: 1
Default patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
I hope you men who are able to attend the memorial will give our respects and condolences to the family and the daughters, and represent all of us as an honour guard to a fine man, seaman, father, husband, and skipper, i am sorry we cant all come but this wondeful chance to share our sorrow and support is a precious example of the gifts of the modern age, an age that Captain Alford worked so hard to protect and allow us all to enjoy.

And I hope you girls and other family will keep in touch and come by and visit with us when you can. We are your shipmates of the SubSim community and will be here for you.

I love the sub pictures, I can almost see my Dad Zeb on watch and he loved to moon on the ocean. Thank you so much for that pictures and kind words. I am the #1 daughter (that sounds a whole lot better than the oldest one!) Patti
patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 04:01 PM   #216
patti
VIP

Quote:
Katie, i am glad you liked the picture of the Golden Gate, it came to me as a symbol of your dad's times at sea and i figured you all had lived in California, either up there or San Deigo both having sub bases..i have lived in both and grew up myself out there too, and know that pattern of moves, having moved 24 times before i was 21 Peggy, that was a very touching tribute to your mom, Margaret and our hearts to out to you and to her and all that you describe. Life is not always easy but it is always precious, and it is clear that your parents gave you all a full cargo of love, care and the best of values which all are the foundations of character.

If i could come i would but am recoving from a long series of operations...but your sharing with us and this chance to honour dad has uncovered in all of us i think a deep welling up of love and respect that we all feel, and we will be there in spirit for the serivce, and with you in the days, months and years ahead when you feel the void that your dad's passing has left...but remember he did not leave really, he is jost gone on ahead, under the stars that shine far out to sea....and he and what he is and what you love in him will be part of you always. HUgs to all of you girls and all your family. Thank you so much for sharing with us all, and we will be with you.

Chris Gerlach
aka Adm Von Gerlach
Chris,
thank you again for your kind words, I keep coming back to this site to read more about my Dad and find it so comforting in my loss.

Patti (Navy Junior #1)

Last edited by patti; 08-08-09 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-08-09, 04:30 PM   #217
Carotio
Mr. Bad Wolf

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmuda View Post
Like most of us here, I didn't know him, but he was a submariner. The necessary dedication and bravery alone deserves everyone's respect.

May he rest in peace.
Couldn't have said it more precisely.

R.I.P.

Download my mods from SHMF
Follow my photography here
taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle fraais, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo castellano
Carotio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 04:33 PM   #218
Baby Katie
VIP

Downloads: 2
Default Shootin' theMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by patti View Post
I love the sub pictures, I can almost see my Dad Zeb on watch and he loved to moon on the ocean. Thank you so much for that pictures and kind words. I am the #1 daughter (that sounds a whole lot better than the oldest one!) Patti
Hate to correct #1 (oldest daughter) but she said Dad liked to "Moon on the Ocean" Is that shoot the moon - I am sure lots of sailors did that but not Zeb - He did tell us some stories that went on in the subs for 6 months out at sea that would make "Shootin' the Moon" seem mild

Baby Katie (#4 daughter)
Baby Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 05:54 PM   #219
patti
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Katie View Post
Hate to correct #1 (oldest daughter) but she said Dad liked to "Moon on the Ocean" Is that shoot the moon - I am sure lots of sailors did that but not Zeb - He did tell us some stories that went on in the subs for 6 months out at sea that would make "Shootin' the Moon" seem mild

Baby Katie (#4 daughter)
I don't know how to edit but what I meant to say was that Dad loved to see the moon reflect on the ocean, the other stuff I really don't know what all you guys did at sea!
Old 08-08-09, 06:36 PM   #220
Dan Olivas
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Dan Olivas

Zeb you are a one of a kind…..being your son in law for 25 years…I have been lucky to see the extraordinary qualities that you were blessed with and more importantly to see how effortlessly you walked through every facet of this life and how you extracted every ounce of life out of the time that you were given on this earth.

I have always admired how quick you were to forgive and forget and how you never let anything stand in the way of your focus to show your love to your daughters.

Your, ability to never meet a stranger and always leave that encounter having told them a story that resonated with what ever was going on in their life. Yes! I know the story more then likely was one of your passionate stories from one of greatest adventures and loves of your life the “Navy” … “I also know that any one who was lucky enough to hear one of your stories was lucky enough” .

Zeb The world and in particular our great country is a better place today because of your service to your country and to every human being you met. Thank you for your tireless service.… …You presence, wisdom and love will deeply be missed…may God bless you with all the rest and peace that you deserve. I am one of those that was “lucky enough”

Love you and miss you!

Dan
Old 08-08-09, 06:37 PM   #221
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by patti View Post
I don't know how to edit but what I meant to say was that Dad loved to see the moon reflect on the ocean, the other stuff I really don't know what all you guys did at sea!

I am qualified to answer that question mam: Two years 63-65 USS Salmon SS 573 and USS Ethan Allen SSBN 608 blue crew three patrols 66-70 and USS Sam Houston SSBN 609 blue crew 70-71

We ate a lot of good food, watched all of the Mission Impossiable, Star Trek and Clint East Wood series.

Told sea stories, played cards, acey duecy, cribbage, hearts, ate pop corn, read books, shaved, washed clothes, slept and once in awhile we would play Navy which was very dangerous sometimes.

Your father died a good man always remember that at he moment of death that's who you are forever ...
Old 08-08-09, 07:33 PM   #222
Werewolf
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 69

My condolences to his family and rest in peace Captain Alford
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 07:56 PM   #223
Vader 1
Engineer

Downloads: 0

Prayers and best thoughts to his family

Vader
Old 08-08-09, 07:59 PM   #224
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Patti, if you scroll back to your posts, you will see a small button labelled "Edit" at the lower right, push that and you can "correct" your post.

Hugs girls and always great to hear from you.
Old 08-08-09, 08:02 PM   #225
patti
VIP

Default Patti

Quote:
Patti, if you scroll back to your posts, you will see a small button labelled "Edit" at the lower right, push that and you can "correct" your post.

Hugs girls and always great to hear from you.
I laughed so hard when I re read what I had written that I thought I would just leave it. I needed a laugh at that moment and anyone who know my Dad probably figured out that he did not "moon" the ocean but liked seeing the moon over the ocean. My mistake!