Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-10, 08:12 AM   #31
Galanti
Captain

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by himlaviz View Post
Perhaps some WW2/Uboot feeling is lost in the UI but maybe the rest of the game/simulation makes up for that.
Ugh...maybe....but that modern 'feel' appears to be everywhere, from the speed indicator to the euipment loadout screens. Terrible. And loads of flat, untextured shades of grey.

It actually starting me thinking about how I would do it, so perhaps I should look at it as a challenge. Maybe I'll buy this thing just to change the UI.
Galanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 08:22 AM   #32
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galanti View Post
He means the various indicators, like speed, depth, the 'radar map', the actual shape and texturing of UI components look like they belong more a monster truck driving game or an I-phone than a sub simulator.
Monster truck games, huh?

Sorry but I can't see the similarity.

Seriously, some of you guys are complaining that the GUI looks too modern? FFS, some people will complain about anything.
Old 02-12-10, 08:33 AM   #33
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Thanks for sharing and I enjoyed the pics! Sure is purdy!

I never really thought that the game would be totally "dumbed down" to appease/appeal to the masses. I did think that they would keep the "traditional" stuff most have come to love and enjoy but add the more simplistic stuff for those that aren't as enthusiastic about all that kind of thing and thus make it more appealing for the masses while still keeping the main base happy. Time will tell once Neal spills the beans.
Old 02-12-10, 08:34 AM   #34
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Hey, Neal! Did you hit that CTRL key yet? Did ya? Did ya?
Old 02-12-10, 08:48 AM   #35
Darkbluesky
Sparky

Downloads: 61

Just in case someone is lazy and don't go to check all the images in the link I posted, here there are a few more.

Personally I think that at side of the UI, the lights and modelling helps to the immersion. For example, I like the light in the first shot between electric engines in the center left, and also to the diesel's... I like the ambience and also the explosions, and the night screenshots. Quite nice and immersive, IMO.

BTW, in the first shot the guys does not have shadows, but in Neal's video (torpedo reload), they have. So I guess, Neal's copy is more recent... (WAIT! maybe they have shadows...I am not sure, now)

I like the recognition book, only that the ship appears in grey. Probably a bug or placeholder. Remember that it is a preview, not the final one.

Last edited by Darkbluesky; 02-12-10 at 09:05 AM.
Darkbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 08:53 AM   #36
Galanti
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post
Seriously, some of you guys are complaining that the GUI looks too modern?
Yeah, I am. Does this game take place in a modern setting?
Old 02-12-10, 09:05 AM   #37
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119

Thank you so much for sharing. It seems sh-5 starts living up to my experience.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:05 AM   #38
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

With my verrrrrry limited French, I can figure out some of the keyboard commands. It appears that 0-5 are engine adjustments for ahead. It doesn't appear that there are any key board commands for reverse. I hope we can go backwards.
Between these screenshots and Neal's in game video, I can feel my level of excitement go from "meh" to "hmmmm...."

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:06 AM   #39
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galanti View Post
Does this game take place in a modern setting?
It's a minimalist interface. There's what? A three or four pixel border around the edge of each item? And you're complaining that those pixels are the wrong shade of grey and too flat-looking. Of course some two-dimensional wood/metal objects that float in front of your first person perspective would be totally realistic (sarcasm). More to the point, it boggles my mind that such details can be considered anywhere near important in the grand scheme of things. In any case we know for a fact that the GUI is totally moddable, and changing some textures will be very quick work for just about any modder, so relax - you'll have your realistic floating metal in no time.
Old 02-12-10, 09:22 AM   #40
trenken
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 0

All those screenshots look tasty. The game cant get here soon enough at this point.
trenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:34 AM   #41
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbit View Post
With my verrrrrry limited French, I can figure out some of the keyboard commands. It appears that 0-5 are engine adjustments for ahead. It doesn't appear that there are any key board commands for reverse. I hope we can go backwards.
Between these screenshots and Neal's in game video, I can feel my level of excitement go from "meh" to "hmmmm...."

you are correct, 0-5 are all for forward speed: "full stop", "very slow", "slow", "half-speed", "full" and "flank". I don't see a key for reverse, although there are two keys towards the right that control faster and slower speed.

There is also a key on the lower left for "advanced mode", wonder what that is for?

Also a minor nitpicky point, but they refer to the "Deutschland" as a "croiseur", (i.e. cruiser) rather than as a "cuirassé" (i.e. battleship)..
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:39 AM   #42
Galanti
Captain

Quote:
It's a minimalist interface. There's what? A three or four pixel border around the edge of each item? And you're complaining that those pixels are the wrong shade of grey and too flat-looking. Of course some two-dimensional wood/metal objects that float in front of your first person perspective would be totally realistic (sarcasm). More to the point, it boggles my mind that such details can be considered anywhere near important in the grand scheme of things. In any case we know for a fact that the GUI is totally moddable, and changing some textures will be very quick work for just about any modder, so relax - you'll have your realistic floating metal in no time.

I never said anything about realistic, I'm talking about immersive. It's a game that takes place in world war 2. It's not too much to expect that all the UI elements look like they belong in that era, too. Especially when Ubi claims to be delivering the most immersive sub experience yet.

I'm not bitching about a 2 cm height discrepancy on the wintergarten that's only visible from the external camera. I'm bitching about something that surrounds the player, that's visible in every screen he/she uses.

Bah, it's probably just me, and like you said, I'll probably be able to change much of it anyway. I'll shut up now and enjoy the rest of my Firday. Judging from your sig, I doubt you and I are going to agree on this one in the near future anyway.

I will say this, though. I do really like the message window in the lower right hand corner, that's a clear improvement over SH3/SH4.
Old 02-12-10, 09:40 AM   #43
sweln
Watch

Downloads: 8

Well I like that GUI. It's clean and you focus on what is important. Since it's BMP's, it's easy to change.
sweln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 09:42 AM   #44
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I am encouraged by some of the reviews/previews mentioning manual targeting.

I sure would like to see some screenshots or video of manual targeting.

But it is encouraging.

DRM I can tolerate if I must, but I gots to have my manual targetin'
Old 02-12-10, 10:06 AM   #45
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:

Oh dear.

SH3: buggy at release, and many bugs were never fixed by Ubisoft.
SH4: buggy at release, and wasn't fully patched until 7 months after release.
SH5: ...?
I hope this does not come off sounding too preachy, but when you say "SH3 buggy at release", just what sub game are you comparing it to, OLC?

I mean, I did not considered SH3 "buggy". To me, "buggy" means more than a few serious bugs that affect gameplay.

What is the definition of "buggy" to you? A game with 1 or more bugs? A game with at least 2 bugs?

If we say SH3 was buggy, then what sub game was not buggy? They must ALL be buggy, and if so, then why remark on it?

Anyway, looking forward to hearing this explained