SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-09, 05:40 PM   #16
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

The only better company I can think of is IBM to take its place.

IBM used to make a bunch of x86 CPUs but got out mostly when it looked like the future was with POWER.

But it would suck because then Intel would be at risk of being crushed by IBM might.

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 06:07 PM   #17
Zachstar
Sea Lord

More bad news.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/20/a...lcomm-for-64m/

Less diversity means less chance for success in the future.

This money will aid AMD in weathering the economic storm but will do nothing to beat the huge R&D advantage Intel and Nvidia has.

Old 01-20-09, 06:29 PM   #18
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
You have to understand that competition is good. AMD will have to pull on the boots and start walking the walk. I buy AMD purely on my experience I have had with AMD and price, although not the biggest factor, does play a roll. AMD will survive if it can get through the tough economic times. Many companies are facing the same reality. But, as history shows, a better company will take it's place.
I have been supporting AMD/ATI for the last 3 computer builds, I always build my own, if AMD folds there goes competition, frightening!!
Quote:
it would suck because then Intel would be at risk of being crushed by IBM might.
Yeh! I didn't think, not that I follow these things, that IBM had much of a business any more, haven't heard about them over here in some time! ! but I doubt that they would crush intel, they are big!!
Hey might be a good thing if IBM does take over AMD, might reintroduce a new operating system war, would be good to see Microsoft get a kick in the pants!!
Gee, am I raving on now!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 09:42 PM   #19
Zachstar
Sea Lord

IBM is huge. You may not see them in your face as much as before but they are huge.

The major biz still is with them and the POWER CPUs are still widely used in servers.

Gaining AMD would mean they could flood into the desktop market again and possibly crush Intel. They have ungodly amounts of R&D that once slapped to an x86 from AMD would mean winnor.

Old 01-20-09, 09:46 PM   #20
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachstar
IBM is huge. You may not see them in your face as much as before but they are huge.

The major biz still is with them and the POWER CPUs are still widely used in servers.

Gaining AMD would mean they could flood into the desktop market again and possibly crush Intel. They have ungodly amounts of R&D that once slapped to an x86 from AMD would mean winnor.
Thus you have grasped the competative market! Just as the fittest survive in the wild, so do the large corporations.
Old 01-21-09, 02:28 AM   #21
Zachstar
Sea Lord

There is a difference between market and letting an entity crush another to a point where they can sell at prices to generate a cycle of growth that removes any chance of competition.

I like IBM and yes I want them to take AMD if it fails. But IBM is it. If it crushes intel it will be able to use the same price on X86s as their super business class Cpus. It would force the gov to do a breakup that would send shockwaves through the industry and harm stuff for a decade.

Thus is the reason we must support AMD. In these super hi tech days there is simply no way a smaller entity can compete there is no mom and pop x86 fab.

However, I will admit that only goes to a point. Already for advanced overclockers the Kuma is kicked to crap by the Intel 45nm.

I wont ask one to support AMD by buying another 65nm if Intel drops the price again with their sub 100 dollar 45nms

If they dont get a "Kuma II" AKA the same way Kumas are made except with the 45nm Phenom IIs Intel is going to crush their last remaining strongholds.

Old 01-21-09, 10:14 AM   #22
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
There is a difference between market and letting an entity crush another to a point where they can sell at prices to generate a cycle of growth that removes any chance of competition.
Welcome to Capitalism! Crush your competitors, take all their customers. Make billions! There will be no monopoly, someone will step in, business goes on. IBM? Do they still make computers? Just what are they doing these days as a Blue Chip on the stock market?
Old 01-21-09, 10:20 PM   #23
Zachstar
Sea Lord

That is what they said before they broke up At&T.

You cant call Capitalism in a situation like this. This is not who can make the better burger the tech on this costs in the billions and has been developed over decades. The competitors are small. VIA was ok before AMD and Intel went on a fast track and completely outpaced its fab.

Now after doing more research I will admit IBM would have to COMPLETELY outclass Intel over a decade before Intel folds. But it is a scary situation.

Old 01-22-09, 03:00 AM   #24
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Intel trimmed the fat today, closing 5 plants and laying off 5000 people by the end of the year.

Not a shocker though, they are all old fabs, the whole industry is closing this type of fab. They just have a good reason to do it now.