SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-09, 01:39 AM   #1
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default AMD Future (Not good)

Let's be blunt. The glory days of AMD are long over. They got a great reprieve with their 64 bit tech but it got slaughtered by Intel's dual cores.

The tris and quads are generating cash but not nearly enough. And people are sticking with existing builds more with this economy.

What is not helping them (Tho it is great for budget builders like me) is obvious fab failure rates resulting in them having to open a new line of Kuma class CPUs with 2 cores disabled.

But I think several upcoming techs by Intel and Nvidia are going to force it to consider being merged.

#1 New Intel Graphics. Sick of having their IGPs being called useless. They are getting new versions out that will compete with weaker models of the ATI mobo IGPs. All of their boards in the future will be able to play Blu ray with no additional card. Robbing ATI of a badly needed source of income.

#2 http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/19/i...will-robinson/

This is HUGE loss for AMD. This was supposed to fill a gap and get them some serious mula. Now at best it will be split.

By far the worst tho will be this. #3 http://www.techpowerup.com/82322/GT3...hitecture.html

Unless they have somthing that can answer that with a budget build. Their graphics sales will plummet.

While this will mean huge savings for those who want to graduly update their computers. It will mean huge losses for AMD.

So what is going to happen?

Well simply put if AMD dies Intel will have nobody but Nvidia to compete with and Nvidia does not produce X86 cores.

In my view by 2012 after a congressional hearing or two. AMD will be allowed to be Merged into IBM. Part of the deal will likely be to put ATI back on sale. It is the ONLY way to put enough pressure on Intel to innovate so we dont end up using bargain bin Kuma CPUs in 2015.

BTW this is just a discussion post. This is not saying you need to think that AMD is not going to support you in the future. AMD still is kicking and will continue to be the leader in sub 400 dollar builds.

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 02:04 AM   #2
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

I believe AMD, in a cost saving move, is going fab-less. I think that is the new trend in the semiconductor industry, as several RAM companies are doing this ( Meaning; We design it, somebody else builds it) I think AMDs only fabs are in Germany and New york(?) AMD doesn't have the capital or manufacturing capacity to keep up with intel's production capabilities.

The biggest dissapointment I have with AMD is that they don't advertise. (I've talked with AMD people about this, and the short answer is: no money). They really caught intel with their pants down with their Athlon chip, but they weren't able to capitalize on that succuess, for whatever reason.

I am intreged by your IBM~AMD merger idea. I wonder how intel would fight it, in regards to practically being a monopoly (on the processor market)?

@ Zachster, have you been following AMD's anti-trust lawsuit? I haven't heard any news on it lately.
Old 01-20-09, 02:12 AM   #3
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
I believe AMD, in a cost saving move, is going fab-less. I think that is the new trend in the semiconductor industry, as several RAM companies are doing this ( Meaning; We design it, somebody else builds it) I think AMDs only fabs are in Germany and New york(?) AMD doesn't have the capital or manufacturing capacity to keep up with intel's production capabilities.

The biggest dissapointment I have with AMD is that they don't advertise. (I've talked with AMD people about this, and the short answer is: no money). They really caught intel with their pants down with their Athlon chip, but they weren't able to capitalize on that succuess, for whatever reason.

I am intreged by your IBM~AMD merger idea. I wonder how intel would fight it, in regards to practically being a monopoly (on the processor market)?

@ Zachster, have you been following AMD's anti-trust lawsuit? I haven't heard any news on it lately.
Here's the lawsuit:
http://breakfree.amd.com/en-us/default.aspx
Old 01-20-09, 02:21 AM   #4
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

And speaking of dying!
http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/amd_news.html

These guy's stock has totally tanked! It's hard to believe, just a few years ago, it was higher than intel's!
Old 01-20-09, 02:22 AM   #5
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Its a big lawsuit but will not do much to break the stranglehold of tech advances Intel is pouring on.

Intel can't fight an ATI IBM merger. As IBM would lose ALOT ALOT ALOT of money in the process. For the first 2 years IBM would just slap some CELL and POWER line advancements on Athlon and Phenom Chips and ship them cheaply to gain money to pay for the merger.

Intel may complain but that will be drowned out by people having to pay 1500 USD for Core i7 whatever builds by then.

Core I7 prices are insane.

Old 01-20-09, 02:24 AM   #6
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Quote:
And speaking of dying!

These guy's stock has totally tanked! It's hard to believe, just a few years ago, it was higher than intel's!
Well everyone is suffering due to people being pretty tight with wallets these days.

However, The blows are coming on strong. Mainly due to AMD completely unable to sell any CPU over 300USD in any quantity. They dont have the many Intel suckers willing to pay a thousand dollars for an unlocked 3 GHz quad.

Old 01-20-09, 02:30 AM   #7
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
And speaking of dying!

ofcourse, if AMD rebounds, this is the time to buy! Go buy a $100 worth of shares.:hmm:
Old 01-20-09, 02:35 AM   #8
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Yes if you want a nice little short term gain go for it!

I personally wont. I just don't see it gaining ground without going for something really really huge (Like a jump to 20-10nm) Such a feat requires HUGE amounts of money that not even IBM has.

They are going to be slaughtered by Nvidia's new platform for graphics. And if Intel gets an excuse to dramatically lower Core i7? Curtains for AMD...

Old 01-20-09, 03:48 AM   #9
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

I don't see AMD going to 10mn anytime soon. All of the semiconductor vendors (AMAT, TEL, KLA, FEI, etc) dance to intel's beat. Escpecially if AMD truely goes fab-less, somebody has to pony up the money to buy the tool-sets that are capable of that level of manufacturing. I don't remember what AMD's current spec is 65 nm or 45 nm. i think the i7 is XX nm, but I might be mistaken. Plus the i7 is using some new metal types that AMD is not (AMD is still using Cu process, which is old school).

AMD can't compete with this level of constant change, unfortunatly:
http://www.intel.com/technology/tick-tock/index.htm

http://www.intel.com/technology/arch...=tech_sil+32nm

AMD CMOS is 65 nm!
http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...7=&f8=&f9=&f10=

nevermind, just found this 45 nm
http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...f9=3600&f10=No
Old 01-20-09, 03:57 AM   #10
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

I though AMD was behind in the die shrink race, but I think I may be mistaken.
Old 01-20-09, 04:07 AM   #11
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Default zoinks

D'oh salary reduction time

Quote:

Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:02 PM

To: ALL AMD EMPLOYEES

Subject: A New Reality

TO: AMD Employees

RE: A New Reality

The last few months have been humbling for virtually every company in every industry around the world. Global demand is down dramatically. And uncertainty about both the timing and intensity of a potential recovery has risen. This combination has made our goal of regaining profitability and free cash flow more difficult - and more important - than ever.

At a time like this, I think it's important to remind ourselves and our teams of two 'undeniable truths' that should keep us motivated about the future. The first is that we play a critical role in an essential industry. Our customers both want and need us to thrive ... and we have the assets, both in the form of IP and people, to succeed. Second, great companies see major disruptions such as this one as opportunities. Economies always rebound, demand picks up, and future success goes to those who make the right choices to position themselves for the inevitable turnaround. We have lived through adverse times before, and we will do so again.

Meanwhile, we are weathering a monster of an economic storm, one that requires additional swift action and some very difficult decisions. First, we are going to have to further reduce our headcounts and our budgets immediately, to help meet a new, lower breakeven target. More specifically, our current plan is to reduce our headcount by approximately nine percent of AMD's 'product company' headcount in the first quarter through a combination of attrition, previously communicated divestitures, and a reduction in workforce. These reductions will be primarily focused on manufacturing and sales, marketing, and general and administrative functions, while limiting R&D reductions wherever possible.

But, while taking these difficult actions, we also must protect our core capabilities - beginning with our ability to execute our roadmaps. We have been watching very carefully what great companies around the world are doing to cope with this crisis, and thinking deeply about what our shareholders and employees would want and expect us to do. More and more leadership teams are taking a temporary, significant reduction in base salary, with Lenovo and Freescale as recent examples. It is time for us to take similar action. Beginning in February, I will be taking a temporary reduction of 20 percent in base salary. In the U.S. and Canada, we will implement similar salary reductions of 15 percent for VPs, 10 percent for all other non-overtime eligible employees, and 5 percent for all overtime-eligible employees. Outside North America, I am asking all AMDers to take comparable pay cuts - the details of which will be determined with local management next week.

I know this will be a personal sacrifice for all of you, but at the same time I know you want to limit headcount reductions as best we can in order to preserve investments that will drive our future success. I also want to emphasize that these actions are temporary, and we will revisit them every quarter and will begin reversing them when business conditions and financial performance return to acceptable levels.

In addition, the following changes in our benefits plans are scheduled to take effect immediately:

· suspend the 401k (U.S.) company match, and

· delay the implementation of the RRSP (Canada) company match program

In the meantime, we need you and your teams to continue treating every discretionary spend decision as though it were your own, including continuing the hiring freeze, scrutinizing all overtime and contract labor activity and eliminating all travel not related to serving key customers and growing revenues.

All of these actions are disheartening, but necessary in these extraordinary times. It is hard to know the size and timing of the recovery. But we do expect our cost structure to be better matched to business conditions in the second half of this year. Indeed, our goal is to avoid a cash drain in the first half of this year and begin making profits and generating cash in the second half. I know you will have questions, and I encourage you to speak with your manager and your HR business partners, and read the Q& document for more details.

We have recently turned the corner on a number of bold moves - the kind of behavior expected of winners. Our graphics team has successfully retaken the performance title, and innovations like Shanghai, along with our Yukon and Dragon platforms, are gaining industry and customer traction. Meanwhile, we are rapidly approaching a major milestone in our industry-changing "Asset Smart" strategy.

AMD is a company with a rich history of success, and a great will to succeed. We have lived through tough times before - and we will do so again today. It all comes down to how much we believe in our future success. I believe it, your executive team believes it ... and I need you to show that you believe it. I am calling on each of you to understand and support these actions - and to do what it takes to secure AMD's long-term success.

The future is what we resolve it to be - and what we work together to deliver.

---//---

1. BACKGROUND

Q1. Why are we making these changes?

The global economic climate and our current business conditions require AMD to readjust our breakeven point and topline targets. In order to regain financial health, we must make some difficult decisions at this point which include budget and headcount reductions. These decisions have been made with much care to preserve cash and protect our core assets as a company, so that we are poised to weather this financial storm and prepare for the future economic turnaround.

Q2. When will these changes be effective?

The effective dates will vary depending on the program. See further below for specific information about each program.

Q3. How does this compare to what other companies are doing?

Several of our competitors and partners in the technology industry, as well as global companies in general, are in the unfortunate situation of having to institute salary reductions or freezes, implement time without pay, and reduce or eliminate merit programs and other benefits.

Q4. How did you decide on the specific changes?

The management team spent and is spending considerable time reviewing AMD's options for meeting our new targets. In order to position us well for the future, changes were made based on preserving cash, and ensuring that we have the proper resources to execute against our roadmap and honor our customer commitments. While these decisions are difficult, they are being made with an eye toward the future, and retaining as many people, benefits and commitments as possible during these difficult economic times.

Q5. Are these changes global? Why/why not?

AMD is a global company, and our current economic situation is a global challenge. It is our intention to ensure a globally consistent program, with all of our employees working towards our new target levels. While we must ensure that we work within local and legal limitations, we are asking all AMDers to share in the restructuring and rebuilding of AMD's financial health. More details will come from regional leaders, but we need to act as a whole to gain the full impact of our changes.

Q6. What other measures are we taking from a business perspective to address our financial position?

We are scrutinizing all project and program costs. Hiring has been frozen with the exception of critical hires. Travel has been reduced and is approved only for customer visits. Video conferences are strongly encouraged. Contracts are being renegotiated where possible. Catering, as well as other forms of facilities and general purchasing, have been significantly reduced. AMD will continue to identify opportunities to increase our level of efficiency and eliminate non-critical work.

Q7. Why didn't our business leaders foresee the need for these changes in December when we rolled out other compensation and benefits changes?

Unfortunately, the current economic environment is unpredictable as a whole and has dramatically declined further since those decisions were made. As a result, further adjustments had to be made in order for us to regain financial health in these difficult times.

2. REDUCTIONS IN FORCE

Q8. How many employees will be affected by these reductions and at what level?

Our current plan is to reduce our headcount by approximately nine percent of AMD 'product company' headcount in the first quarter through attrition, previously communicated divestitures and a reduction in force. These reductions will be primarily focused on manufacturing and sales, marketing, and general and administrative functions, while limiting our R&D reductions wherever possible. The reductions span a variety of levels in the management and individual contributor populations.

Q9. Why does AMD need to reduce headcount?

The global economic situation as well as our own business conditions have required us to lower our financial targets. In order to return AMD to financial health and consistent profitability during this challenging time, we must reduce our headcount in line with our target expectations.

Q10. Will there be additional cost reduction actions?

Given our current economic realities, it is imperative that we continue to assess AMD's programs, activities and staffing requirements, in order to ensure that we adjust as needed based on our global market. Returning AMD to financial health will require us all to scrutinize our spending consistently and across multiple areas.

Q11. How will affected employees be chosen?

Reductions will be determined through a review of employee performance, skill requirements and functional needs.

Q12. What types of severance packages are being offered? How do they compare to others?

AMD is offering eligible employees severance packages in line with industry and regional practices, and making every reasonable effort to reduce the hardships on impacted employees.

Q13. What kinds of outplacement services are being offered?

AMD has contracted with outplacement agencies to assist affected workers in most locations. The services provided are competitive in respective local markets and include career coaching and job search assistance.

3. SALARY REDUCTIONS

Q14. Why are we reducing base salaries?

AMD is reducing base salaries in line with our new financial targets. While this is a difficult decision, reducing salaries will allow us to limit headcount reductions as best as we can in order to preserve investments that will drive our future success.

Q15. Why do the salary reductions seem to be targeted at North American employees?

While North American reductions in salary are mandatory, our leadership team is asking all AMDers on a global basis to take comparable pay cuts. Details will be determined with local management teams. All AMDers have an important role in driving AMD towards consistent profitability and full financial health.

Q16. Do these salary reductions affect The Foundry Company employees?

As employees of AMD, The Foundry Company will participate in these reductions between now and the close of the Asset Smart transaction. The Foundry Company will evaluate these actions at close and adopt a strategy to launch and build the company responsibly while balancing the harsh economic realities of 2009 and the need to reduce expenses.

Q17. When will the base salary reduction be effective?

Base salary reductions will be effective as follows:

U.S.:

. January 26 (overtime eigible)

. February 2 (non-overtime eigible)

Canada:

. February 2 (overtime and non-overtime eigible)

New salaries will appear in the February 12 paycheck for U.S. and in the February 13 paycheck for Canada.

Q18. How much will base salaries be reduced in North America?

Base salaries will be reduced as follows:

. CEO : 20 percent

. VP: 15 percent

. Non-overtime eligible population: 10 percent

. Overtime eligible population: 5 percent (excludes co-ops/PEY/interns)

Sales employees are included in this reduction in salary.

Q19. Will expatriates whose home location is in North America be affected by this salary reduction?

Yes, expatriates from North America will be affected.

Q20. Do the base salary reductions affect co-ops and interns?

No, the salary reductions do not affect co-ops or iterns.

Q21. How do North American employees hired in 2009 volunteer for the base salary reduction?

HR will be contacting newly hired employees regarding the voluntary based salary reduction process.

Q22. How long will the base salary reduction be in effect?

These actions are temporary, and AMD will revisit them every quarter and will begin reversing them when business conditions and financial performance return to acceptable levels. We do expect our cost structure to be better matched to business conditions in the second half of this year.

Q23. How do I change my 401(k) contribution and withholding election?

(U.S. only) You can make changes to 401(k) contribution rates online at MyHR > My Personal Data > Benefits Overview > 401(k).

(U.S. and Canada) For withholding elections, please use MyHR to update MyHR > My Personal Data > My Information.

You will have until January 23 to have these changes affect the February 12 (U.S.) and February13 (Canada) paychecks.

Q24. Will the reduction of my base salary have any impact on my other benefits?

Employee benefits that are based on salary will reflect the reductions. Basic and supplemental life insurance, which are calculated on multiples of annual salary, will reflect the adjusted salary levels. Disability benefit payroll deductions will also be calculated on the adjusted salary; any claims for disabilities that begin after February 1 will be based on the adjusted salary.

Q25. Do these salary reductions have any impact on the severance amounts referenced in termination agreements that have already been issued and signed by Handheld employees who will be leaving as a result of the reduction in force on a date after the February 1, 2009 salary reduction effective date?

No, severance agreement amounts that have already been issued and signed will be honored.

Contractors

Q26. Are contractors being impacted by the salary reduction?

Contractor headcount and expense continue to be reviewed and reduced. AMD renegotiated our contract with Volt in December 2008 and reduced overall contractor markup by 10 percent.

Q27. Why aren't we terminating all contractor relationships before taking additional actions on full time employees?

We will be reducing the number of contractors significantly, but due to business functions we will need to retain a smaller population of contractors where needed.

Restricting Overtime

Q28. Will the ability to work overtime be eliminated?

No, overtime will not be eliminated but we will implement tighter controls on the usage and approvals of overtime.

4. RETIREMENT SAVINGS PLANS

401(k) Plan (U.S. only)

Q29. What changes are we making to the 401(k) plan?

AMD is suspending the company match for 401(k) plans.

Q30. Is the suspension of the company match to the 401(k) plan a permanent change?

No, we will continue to monitor the economic environment and our business performance to determine the appropriate time to reinstate the company match.

Q31. When is this effective?

We will be suspending the company match effective February 2, which will appear in the February 12 paycheck.

Q32. Can I change my 401(k) contribution?

Yes, you can make changes to your 401(k) contribution rates online at MyHR > My Personal Data > Benefits Overview > 401(k).

You will have until January 23 to have these changes affect the February 12 paycheck.

Q33. Will the enhanced 401(k) match that appeared in the first payroll run of 2009 be reversed?

No, the enhanced 401(k) match in the first payroll run of 2009 will not be affected in any way.

Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) (Canada only)

Q34. Why are we not implementing the RRSP company match?

Although we recently communicated that the RRSP match would be implemented in Q3 2009, we will no longer be moving forward with the company match due to the unfortunate economic environment as well as our current business state. Not implementing the RRSP company match in 2009 represents a significant cost savings.

Q35. Is not implementing the company match the to the RRSP plan a permanent change?

No, we will continue to monitor the economic environment and our business performance to determine the appropriate time to implement the RRSP company match.

5. OTHER

Expatriate Assignments

Q36. How will current expat agreements be impacted?

We will review all expat agreements to determine what actions need to be taken and when.

Q37. Are we changing the expat program in order to save costs in the future?

We may make changes to the expat program after further review.

Q38. Because of the severe travel restrictions, are expatriates allowed to take Home Leave as the policy states?

Yes, Home Leave is an important part of the expatriate assignment and will continue.

Promotion and Equity Adjustment Freeze

Q39. Why are we freezing the promotion process?

Given the economic environment we are in and our need to preserve cash, we are freezing all promotions.

Q40. When is the freeze in effect?

The freeze will take effect January 19, 2009.

Q41. When will promotions be back in effect?

We will continue to monitor the economic environment and our business performance to determine the appropriate time to reinstate the promotion process.

Q42. Is the promotion freeze for all employee levels and roles in the organization?

Yes, the promotion freeze will affect all employee levels and roles in the organization.

Q43. Will there be any exceptions to the promotion freeze?

Exceptions will have to be approved by a corporate staff member and there will be very strict guidelines that must be met for any exceptions to be approved. We will share details of those guidelines in the coming weeks.

Q44. If a job is posted and it is at a higher level than my current role can I apply?

Yes, employees can apply for any open positions no matter what the salary level.

Hiring Freeze

Q45. Will there be any exceptions to the hiring freeze?

Any exceptions to the hiring freeze will need to be approved by a corporate staff member.

Q46. If I have a business critical need regarding hiring, what is the process to gain corporate staff member approval?

We will communicate the corporate staff member approval process to management by end of day Monday, January 19.

Q47. If I am currently in mid-process of extending an employment offer or finalizing a relocation, how should I get corporate staff member approval for this activity?

Please contact your HR Business Partner to help drive any current processes until further information is available.

Relocation

Q48. Are we eliminating relocation compensation for approved new hires?

No, relocation compensation will not be eliminated but all relocation costs will need to have a corporate staff member's approval.

Stock Option Exchange Proposal

Q49. What is the status of the stock option exchange proposal?

The stock option exchange proposal has been delayed.

Q50. When will AMD seek approval of a stock option exchange?

We will include the stock option exchange proposal in the annual meeting proxy filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in March 2009. Stockholders will vote on the proposal at the annual stockholder meeting in May 2009.

Q51. When will I receive more information?

If the program is approved by stockholders, we will include additional information shortly thereafter. This information will include timing, plan details and the exchange process. In the meantime, SEC rules prohibit us from communicating any additional information.

Eliminate 2009 Merit Program

Q52. Why are we eliminating the 2009 Merit Program?

The elimination of the 2009 merit program represents a significant cost savings. Due to the unfortunate economic environment as well as our current business state, AMD is reducing costs wherever possible. We will evaluate the economic environment and our business performance early in 2010 to determine the feasibility of a merit program.
Old 01-20-09, 09:09 AM   #12
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachstar
Well simply put if AMD dies Intel will have nobody but Nvidia to compete with and Nvidia does not produce X86 cores.
Intel bought with Nvidia - so Nvidia is in no way a competitor. The Nvidia brand is owned by Intel, though they left the name intact as its brand is valuable to them.

I will tell you this, don't think that Intel is going to squeeze out AMD. If AMD goes under - it won't be due to Intel, but rather pure market conditions.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 12:56 PM   #13
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

[quote=CaptainHaplo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachstar
I will tell you this, don't think that Intel is going to squeeze out AMD. If AMD goes under - it won't be due to Intel, but rather pure market conditions.
I have to agree, and lets face it the majority of PC owners don't build their own systems, they buy pre built. And the main system they buy will be Dell which uses Intel.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 03:23 PM   #14
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Intel does not own Nvidia in the least bit.

You are think about AMD owning ATI.

And yes if AMD does go down it will be because they were unable to beat Intel with technology.

Old 01-20-09, 04:40 PM   #15
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

You have to understand that competition is good. AMD will have to pull on the boots and start walking the walk. I buy AMD purely on my experience I have had with AMD and price, although not the biggest factor, does play a roll. AMD will survive if it can get through the tough economic times. Many companies are facing the same reality. But, as history shows, a better company will take it's place.