SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-06-09, 08:53 PM   #16
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Looking at games HL2 looks to have plenty of issues with Vista. No doubt. I have not seen ESP 3. Never played HL2. I see some new cpu cores coming out reaching 5Mhz. Personally, I do not see cores getting much faster with heat issue, etc. I do not see games going any deeper then what we are experiencing with today hardware. DX10 has yet to really get off the ground. It will come. I do not see any earth shattering games on the horizon. Only those utilizing quad core, more RAM and hefty videocards. Also, if the software makers want to make a buck, they need to conform to MS and the MS OS of the day. MS does not build the OS around what other software makers are creating.

As far as XP and my pre 2006 computer, AMD3200+, 2 gig RAM and 7800GS, I spent little time shutting down background programs. The game ran fine. Not like it does on a monster rig for sure, but all the same ran fine. The thing with multiple cores, mutliple things can be going on and shutting down/disabling programs is not needed. The machine is working with multiple threads on all the cores, not sharing one core for all programs.
Old 01-06-09, 08:58 PM   #17
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

5 mhz!!! OMG did the 8086 come out already?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_8086

The 80s are going to be AWESOME!!!

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 09:13 PM   #18
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I was just glacing though on CPU coolers today and saw some CPU cranking 5. The heat must be nuts. I see water cooling being perfected in the future.
Old 01-06-09, 09:34 PM   #19
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

The IBM power6 CPU can push 4.7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER6

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 09:47 PM   #20
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
I was just glacing though on CPU coolers today and saw some CPU cranking 5. The heat must be nuts. I see water cooling being perfected in the future.
I use this :http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9140&CatId=499

And the filtered fans that came with my case to keep things kool. :http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...49419&csid=_21

I don't plan on doing an upgrade for a looong time.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 10:25 PM   #21
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
I have Vista 64 now and I find something strange. I loaded up SH4 and COD waw. For some reason, a desktop icon for the games do not appear. Any reason why Vista does not allow a desktop icon to appear after the game is installed?
Vista puts most icons for games in the game explorer

Sometime it doesn't even show in your programs depending on the game.

I don't like that setup that vista has for icons. I know their is a purpose for it I just can't recall what. :hmm:
Old 01-07-09, 12:16 PM   #22
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Game Explorer? Hmmmm. I will have to check that out. You are correct, the SH4 start icon is not in the program folder. I made the short cut to the GU.exe that was installed after the 1.5 patch was introduced. Where can I find the Game Explorer folder?
Old 01-07-09, 12:20 PM   #23
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL
Quote:
I use this :http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9140&CatId=499

And the filtered fans that came with my case to keep things kool. :http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...49419&csid=_21

I don't plan on doing an upgrade for a looong time.
I have a Coolmaster Hyper 2. I watched my cooling last night while playing SH4 and COD waw. Max temp on the CPU is 40'C. At idle the CPU is at 32'C. Cut off and terminal meltdown on the X4 7850 is 61'C. I have a lot of breathing room. Can think about overclocking the CPU with that kind of low temp under gaming conditions.
Old 01-07-09, 05:53 PM   #24
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Found Game Explorer. My SH4 and COD icons to launch the games were there Thanks for the heads up on this!
Old 01-17-09, 06:54 PM   #25
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

OK, it is to my understanding with Vista that it is best to just access administrator account for changes, etc. and then create a user account to actually play games, surf the net, etc. Is that in fact true?
Old 01-17-09, 07:05 PM   #26
Enigma
The Old Man

Downloads: 7

Have had no problem with HL2, SH4, or any of the other games mentioned with my Vista. However, I cannot run my C&C:Genrals, nor my battlefield Vietnam on Vista.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-09, 07:14 PM   #27
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

So you feel it is ok to play games, surf the net etc while running as the administrator?
Old 01-18-09, 01:17 AM   #28
Thomen
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 14

Quote:
So you feel it is ok to play games, surf the net etc while running as the administrator?
As dangerous as it may seems to be, I do everything as admin and never had any problems. I am either just that lucky, or the security is totally underestimated.
Thomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 07:46 AM   #29
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I was running everything under the administration account. I read on the Vista Forums that doing so is like running the computer as if it had XP as the OS. One women reported that she created 2 user accounts and she used the admin account. Her account under admin ran much slower than the user accounts. Of course the Vista Forum (MS folks) said she should create herself a user account to solve the slower admin account problem which really was for maintenance anyway. She responded she did and all was well after she created the user account. Running the user account, I see in the lower right hand corner that internet protection is on. Meaning it will start questioning the user before allowing to download files. It really is just another layer of protection from rogue files I guess. Running as admin account, the protection is noted as off.

As a side note, I do not see any difference in speed when using the admin account or using the user account. Since each account is set up individually by the user, perhaps her admin account was firing up programs and running in the background thus slowing the computer. Who knows. Anyway, I set up a separate user account on mine. The only thing I find is SH4 will run under admin only. No biggy really. COD waw runs in the user account fine.
Old 01-19-09, 08:06 PM   #30
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Personally I run as an admin all the time. The UAC is off, and I have secured the system as needed for what I use it for.

With that said - you can run any app from a user account and yet have admin priveledges just for that series of processes. I often have to walk users thru setting it up as they are (as they should be) locked out to a point.

Right click on the shortcut (either in the all programs or on the desktop - whichever one you use) and left click properties. Go to the Compatibility tab and down at the bottom is a check box that says "Run this program as an Administrator". Check it and hit the apply button. Now when you run from that shortcut - the app will have full priveledged (even if you dont).

This is especially useful for productivity apps that need access to database files and such as they usually require a level of permission above what the end user has.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote