SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-05-08, 05:07 PM   #1006
akdavis
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Those are some great additions!
Old 06-05-08, 08:17 PM   #1007
theold1
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCorrado
For the Marshal Islands I would expect traffic to/from Truk and/or the Mariana Islands so I would patrol along a North / South axis to the west and try to cross the path of merchants regardless of whether they have shifted their approach or not- they still have to cross that North South axis at some point.
Thanks for the reply JoeCorrado. I had the same thought and did do quite a lot of N/S searching between the islands and Truk, but still didn't manage to find anything even in several tanks of gas (I'm using RFB, which I believe has some effect on range).

Maybe I've just been unlucky. I'll keep trying . Is there anything I can do to increase the 'random' traffic just a little bit in this mod? I do think the vanilla game has too high levels of random encounters, but I could stand just a little more now. The occasional lone ship going from here to there, and so on.

Quote:
You don't use up your fuel either so time is on your side... if the patience lasts is another story.
Actually that's another question I have. If I go to 0 throttle, 0 knots speed, on the surface, it seems like I still do use fuel. If I'm on time accel I can see the fuel reserves going down, although I'm not sure why. Maybe that's to model use of the engines for purposes other than propulsion, like generating electricity to run other ship systems, or something?
theold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 09:09 PM   #1008
JoeCorrado
Weps

Downloads: 176
Uploads: 5

I never noticed that fuel useage was even noticeable submerged or on the surface when stationary. I'll have to give it a try to see but it should be modeled to reflect very little use at all and that mostly for station keeping.

Anyway, check out the map that I posted- click the map for a full sized version. RSRD stays pretty faithful to the shipping routes has been my experience.

My Game starts with GFO - Keepin' it real as it needs to be!

Last edited by JoeCorrado; 06-05-08 at 10:22 PM.
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 11:05 PM   #1009
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by theold1
Actually that's another question I have. If I go to 0 throttle, 0 knots speed, on the surface, it seems like I still do use fuel. If I'm on time accel I can see the fuel reserves going down, although I'm not sure why. Maybe that's to model use of the engines for purposes other than propulsion, like generating electricity to run other ship systems, or something?
I'm not sure how this is modeled in the game, but IRL the engines were not directly connected to the prop shafts. Rather, the engines were connected to generators which powered the batteries. So even on surface running the screws were actually battery-powered, with the diesel engines topping up the batteries.
So I suppose even if surfaced and screws not turning some amount of fuel would be consumed in topping up the batteries, which would also be powering electrical equipment such as radar, lights, etc.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 11:59 PM   #1010
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner
I'm not sure how this is modeled in the game, but IRL the engines were not directly connected to the prop shafts.
That's true, however the batteries weren't actually being "topped off" constantly. In most Fleet type subs it was like this(simplified):

On the surface the diesels would drive the generators(one per each diesel, directly connected), which could be used to supply power to the electric motors or to recharge the batteries. The electric motors(4) would drive the props through a reduction gear(1 per shaft). Underwater the power to the electric motors was naturally supplied by the batteries. More here: http://www.hnsa.org/doc/fleetsub/chap6.htm#6A

edit: Removed a diagram and corrected some wrong info

Last edited by Fincuan; 06-06-08 at 12:17 AM.
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 02:46 AM   #1011
trebby
Medic

Downloads: 210
Default RDRD and SCAF

Lurker and Captn Scurvi,

I am running RFB1.5 and RSRD 3.95 (patched) enabled by JGSME by the BOOK as instructed on page 1 of the RFB1.5 thread.

I noticed an omission in the integration of both mods, namely:

The ships added by RSRD to RFB do NOT have the SCAF red aiming line in the recognition Manual as ALL the RFB ships DO have.

Maybe the newly created ships were not yet "blessed" by Captn Scurvis SCAF?
(maybe only a silhouette pic would do the job?)

Hope this helps to finetune your marvellous mod. After reading Clay Blairs fascinating "Silent Victory" and then reading that U guys modelled the mod after it
I knew that this is it!

Thanks, Trebb

Last edited by trebby; 06-06-08 at 04:08 AM.
trebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 11:03 PM   #1012
RFB Team
SH4 Mod Team

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebby
Lurker and Captn Scurvi,

I am running RFB1.5 and RSRD 3.95 (patched) enabled by JGSME by the BOOK as instructed on page 1 of the RFB1.5 thread.

I noticed an omission in the integration of both mods, namely:

The ships added by RSRD to RFB do NOT have the SCAF red aiming line in the recognition Manual as ALL the RFB ships DO have.

Maybe the newly created ships were not yet "blessed" by Captn Scurvis SCAF?
(maybe only a silhouette pic would do the job?)
SCAF is in the process of being modified for RFB, whereby the historically-known mast/funnel heights (and draft & tonnages) will be the values given to you by the game. Some ships have better data than others, so it will be all the more imperative to check your firing solution by multiple methods and to get as close as possible before firing.

The RFB team is an open group and our work is open to anyone. Although we have a separate forum for development and testing, it is not a private forum, so you can drop in and see what's going on or contribute. The forum is open to other developers that need a place to exchange ideas too.

http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php...647a9120c08614
RFB Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 04:56 AM   #1013
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

It fascinatiing reading all the technical know how from you chaps. The attention to detail is truly amazing but, are we trying to achieve the impossible here?

This is but a game, a simulation of what took place 60 odd years ago? The diesel engines on a sub, like in a boat/ship were running at some power, all the time, to power the generators I would imagine, so fuel was a constant drain until "finished with engines" in port; then the sub would be powered probably from shore.

What has been achieved with the mods is phenomenal and you should all be highly congratulated, but it is, only a game.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 05:32 AM   #1014
trebby
Medic

RFB team,

RFB 1.5 already is SCAF enabled (at least some beta or better).
My point in the above thread was that none of the ships added by
RSRD (added, as is is on top in JGSME) has the red line and thus data of SCAF.
My conclusion was that RSRD is the one without SCAF support.
If I am correct, that would be a pity, its preventing an "universal" targetting technique...:hmm:

Cheers, Trebb
Old 06-07-08, 11:22 AM   #1015
akdavis
Samurai Navy

It would certainly be nice to have all the ships integrated in RSRD for RFB, but maybe some element of uncertainty is good, too.
Old 06-07-08, 02:36 PM   #1016
trebby
Medic

Well AKD,

I think you mix up uncertainty with inaccuracy my friend...
Old 06-07-08, 03:59 PM   #1017
Rova
Swabbie

Downloads: 169
Default Questions from new guy

I'm new to playing Silent Hunter 4 v 1.5 and to this forum. I downloaded and installed the RSRDC mods per the insturctions in this thread (RSRDC_V355_for V15 and RSRDC_V355_Patch5). The Readme file indicates that there should be new missions and patrols available but when I'm in the game it appears that only the original "stock" game missions and patrols are listed. Is there a way to determine that the mods installed properly (I did use JSGME for installation and also ran the game files to snapshot task which listed the file changes from the original installation) and should the new missions and patrols show up as choices in the game? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this. Thanks.
Old 06-07-08, 06:04 PM   #1018
JoeCorrado
Weps

Downloads: 176
Uploads: 5

RSRD is an all new campaign layer. The missions are those assigned to you during the campaign.

My Game starts with GFO - Keepin' it real as it needs to be!
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 06:08 PM   #1019
akdavis
Samurai Navy

There are new historical missions and war patrols in RSRD, as well. If these are not appearing, then something went wrong in the install process.
Old 06-07-08, 06:20 PM   #1020
Nephandus
Seaman

Downloads: 13

Did anybody notice that the Momi Class Destroyer is lacking the starboard bow wave?

Also.... Wasn't that thing officially designated as Matsu Class?
Nephandus is offline   Reply With Quote