SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-11-09, 05:00 PM   #1
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Russian Submarine Wreck from the Great War Discovered in Swedish Waters (video)

http://www.aftonbladet.se/webbtv/nyheter/inrikes/article5854457.ab

Quote:
Swedish research vessel Jacob Haegg has discovered WW1 Russian submarine at the bottom of the Baltic Sea, says Swedish Maritime Administration.

The sub was found on Sept, 10 during researches near Gotska Sandön island 38 km north of the Götland island.

The well-preserved submarine lies at the bottom at a depth of 100 m. It likely collided with a mine – its hull is damaged by explosion. Investigation of debris shows that Jacob Haegg most likely found Russian Bars-type submarine Gepard, disappeared in 1917. There were 12 Bars-type subs on mission in Baltic Sea during WW1.

The Swedes are not planning to lift the submarine, but for reasons of safety they may withdraw torpedoes attached to its hull.

In 1992 the Swedes found another Bars-type submarine, Levitsa, east of Gotska Sandön island at a depth of 120 m. According to the routes of Russian submarines patrolling Baltic Sea during WW1, the lead Bars-type submarine with the same name could also be sunk in the region.

The construction of Gepard submarine was started at Baltiysky Zavod shipyard on Sept 28, 1913, it was put afloat on June 2, 1915 and came into service on July 12, 1915. It performed 15 combat cruises. The last one, to Filzand Island, was started on Oct 12, 1917.

The submarine's length is 67.9 m, width is 4.47 m, draft is 3.94 m, submerged displacement is 780 t, submergence depth is 50 m, crew is 40 men. Armament: 37-mm and 57-mm artillery guns, machinegun, 12 torpedoes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://rusnavy.com/news/newsofday/in...LEMENT_ID=7702
Wonder if they could raise it. Put it in a museum maybe. This is a pretty important find, given that they've only found a couple of others.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 05:06 PM   #2
OneToughHerring
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Reminds me of the time in the 80's when the Swedes claimed that there were Soviet subs within their territorial waters. Turned out the radar signals they picked up were otters if I remember correctly.

Or maybe even...ferrets? Hmm...
Old 10-13-09, 01:33 PM   #3
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughHerring View Post
Reminds me of the time in the 80's when the Swedes claimed that there were Soviet subs within their territorial waters. Turned out the radar signals they picked up were otters if I remember correctly.

Or maybe even...ferrets? Hmm...
Also that there were catapiller tracks (like on a tank) marks on the sea bed near Swedish ports. They claimed it was Soviet Midget Submarines driving around until they realized it was dredging equipment.

Of course there WERE Soviet Subs in Swedish waters...

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote