SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-09, 07:04 PM   #1
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Default USS Scorpion Essay

Hey all,
Been a while since I've been on here, but I've come to look to you guys as a bit of an...academic resource, if you will. I'm doing an essay about the tragic loss of the USS Scorpion. My idea is to essentially do a report arguing against the claims of "Scorpion Down" by Ed Offley. The heart of the whole thing is an investigation into why people take tragic events and essentially make mockeries of them by making ridiculous conspiracy claims.

Do any of you know of any good books or webpages I could use as references. What would be even better is if anyone on this site has knowledge or has served in the US Navy (particularly a Skipjack class...keeping my fingers crossed that some old-timers are on here) were willing to allow me to do an interview of sorts over IM, PM, or Email. This could be of great use to me, because I have a feeling I'm going to want some info about how quiet they were, how good their sensors were, speed, etc...

Thank you all so much in advance for your help!
Old 10-02-09, 07:48 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Let me start by saying good luck on your essay, and a good choice as well. As far as tech info about the boat, I wouldn't expect more than what Wikipedia will tell you. Most of that stuff is still classified. But here's a website I reference a lot for modding. http://www.navsource.org/ and this one is good too, http://www.txoilgas.com/589.html talks all about the loss.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 11:04 PM   #3
snakeyez
Last Man Down

Downloads: 6

PM sent. I think I can put you in contact with some help.

SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG - These are the submarines in your neighborhood! Get involved, they need you.
Doyle Blalock - the life of my WWII submarine veteran grandfather.
Drum228.org - devoted to the Gato-class museum sub USS Drum (SS-228) complete with war patrol reports, historical info, and restoration progress.
snakeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 07:18 PM   #4
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Get "Silent Steel - The Mysterious Death of the Nuclear Attack Sub USS Scorpion," by Stephen Johnson. I recommend it highly.

Also, if you can find it, in the June 1999 issue of USNI Proceedings magazine:

"Real story of Scorpion? by C A K McDonald

McDonald presents what tabloids might call the "untold story" of the mysterious sinking of the US Navy submarine Scorpion. Now experts say that blame for the accident may have a warhead explosion inside the submarine.

And in the July 1998 issue of Proceedings:

"Why they called the Scorpion 'Scrapiron'," by Mark A Bradley
"During 1968, the US submarine Scorpion was lost and eventually found in pieces. Although the cause of the accident was never stated, it was probably due to inadequate design and poor fabrication methods."

Old 10-04-09, 05:03 PM   #5
Marcantilan
Weps

Downloads: 3

and don´t forget checking "Blind Man´s Bluff".

Regards!
Old 10-05-09, 10:23 PM   #6
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

I second that recommendation of "Silent Steel". In fact the author wrote an essay that examines (in part) the very topic you're focused on - the infatuation with ludicrously implausible explanations for the sinking (and disasters in general). I'll see if I can dig it up.

Best of luck with your assignment; it's a worthy topic. What angers me is how some conspiracy theorists exploit/mislead grieving families (who understandably cling to theories that offer hope their loved ones are alive). I've seen it with the loss of the "Gaul", several aircraft disasters, etc.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 05:11 AM   #7
Prof
Medic

Downloads: 2

'Silent Steel' author Stephen Johnson has already done something like this and posted it online...check out this PDF:

http://www.terratol.com/sitebuilderc..._The_Myths.pdf
Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 08:49 AM   #8
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58

Thank you all for your support! Fishin' for that 'A' now!
Gotta say though, it's a little tedious when I'm listening and notating on an audiobook while reading text and checking out PDFs all at the same time.