SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-17, 10:03 AM   #1
Contra_Bombarde
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0
Default New Leutnant zur See ready to sail!

Ahoy Kameraden,

New member to these forums, signed up because I saw a lot of nice mods to be downloaded for SH3, which I have just recently purchased. Also have the GWX 3.0 Supermod downloaded which I will apply to SH3 after installation.

I'm no U-Boat expert, I originally started with SH1 back in yesteryear, but I was pretty young back then (age 9-10), so I didn't really understand things, and then I got SH2 when I was a few years older and finally was able to torpedo some stuff!

I'm looking for the true Subsim experience, so realism 90% and up is preferable, so I still have to learn how to do manual torpedo attacks. I'm aware that this game can be played by casuals just looking to have fun, but having skimmed through some single missions on anywhere from 15% to 59% realism, I think it is about time I learned some real U-boat skills and put them to use! Knight's cross with Golden Oak Leaves here I come!

I'm not familiar with the GWX mod, and I'm still reading through the manual, but compared to vanilla SH3, I think that I should be able to get enough renown so that if I start the campaign in Sep 1939, I can progress from Type IIA, to Type VIIB, to Type IXC to XXI before the end of the war. I'm not entirely sure if that much renown is going to be available to earn, especially with all the u-boat upgrades that turn up from 1941 onwards.

Is IIA-VIIB-IXC-XXI a good progression, or should I perhaps go IIA-VIIB-VIIC-XXI instead?

Also, is there really any point in getting any of the more advanced Type VIIC's like the/40 /41 and /42? I know the Type IX gets a lot more torpedoes, but is liable to be sent to patrol the Southern Ocean near Argentina where there is just rubbish shipping. Ideally, I'd like to be able to return to base having used all my torpedoes.

Finally, in vanilla SH3, what do each of the medals/awards actually do besides appear on crew uniforms as decorative sprites? I did hear somewhere that the German Cross in Gold makes whoever wears it have infinite fatigue, so that seems useful - but what about the others, such as the U-boat war badge, or the Iron Cross, or even the Knight's cross and higher? Perhaps GWX does something with this, but I haven't read that far into the manual yet, so apologies for asking a question which I might find the answer for anyway. Same goes for Morale. It never seemed to be affected in vanilla SH3, so what does it do? It would be great if there were some datamined results that give the figures as to what each award does, and if Morale does anything as well.

I look forward to coming back to this forum to ask any further questions should I have any, and hopefully give some of my own advice to the newbies once I've gotten my skills up to the point where I can truly Run Silent, Run Deep!

EDIT: Oh, come on...downloads still locked? I have to pay to download anything? Wow, I guess I won't be here very long considering that I only had 4 items I wanted to DL anyway. Not funny. Not cool.

Last edited by Contra_Bombarde; 10-01-17 at 10:53 AM.
Contra_Bombarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 10:24 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Contra_Bombarde!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 10:43 AM   #3
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 314
Icon14 Welcome to SubSim

Welcome to SubSim Contra_Bombarde!

“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” .
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 12:21 PM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Contra_Bombarde
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 03:38 PM   #5
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Welcome Aboard!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 05:17 PM   #6
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Welcome aboard and enjoy!

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 11:51 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Bombarde

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote