SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-17, 08:17 AM   #1
u_tommy
Mate

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default Simple mission went south fast... AAR, unexpected.

Hi all,

Been back at the helm after a long absence. (SH3) I had felt the missions in Cold Waters were a bit simple, and normally they are, but i just had one that went wrong very fast.

Mission was to stop wolfpack of killer subs causing havoc in the North Sea. I was close and in position early. Saw them coming, meet them at 5 knots, undetected.

I picked up 2 contacts after quite a long search, (playing realistic & 1:1 scale)
1 diesel electric, 1 nuclear. (can't remember exact classifications)

On approach to their baffles i was detected with active sonar, right at its range. (from the diesel electric, that was closest.) I guess our range was 7kyds. He immediately fired a torpedo, I counter fired at both targets with Mk84s, I also fired a MOSS & a noise maker & went off in the opposite direction @ 26knots whilst diving from 400ft to max 700ft. (floor bottom was 770") Avoiding cavitation. Job done... well it would have been on most missions in the 84 campaign.

After a couple of minutes, i went to silent running to listen... immediately a torpedo activated and locked on me.. most likely wired guided, considering i had been the quietest of the 3 contacts i'd presented it & was well out of its cone by this time, having gone off at 90 degrees.

It was very close.. throwing me into full evasion... 30 seconds into trying to loose the 1st torpedo i was locked by a 2nd I hadn't seen... for a bit i was doing alright with these two... then a 3rd arrived from nowhere, then a 4th... the outcome was pretty inevitable. The 4th one got me.

As my sub was sinking to the bottom... I was thinking WTF kind of captain had i just come up against... then i saw the post mission report. I'd killed both subs, with my initial salvo of two torpedoes, a fact I had missed in the chaos that took place. And was killed by a UGMT-1 torpedo! It seems the subs radioed a Udaloy class destroyer who proceeded to reign missile torpedoes at me... on an intercept a killer sub group mission! Sneaky bastards. Mistakes were made.. mostly complacency built up from earlier missions

It was the end a glorious campaign...

Game just got a lot better!
Old 09-28-17, 11:31 AM   #2
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

This sounds like aircraft tracked your long high speed run and dropped on you as soon as you slowed.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-17, 01:01 PM   #3
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Would there be aircraft in a mission? I would've assumed the missiles were sub-launched and sat there circling until someone came in range.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-17, 01:19 PM   #4
-Pv-
The Old Man

There are often aircraft in individual and campaign missions unless informed otherwise.
-Pv-
Old 09-29-17, 06:50 AM   #5
u_tommy
Mate

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pv- View Post
This sounds like aircraft tracked your long high speed run and dropped on you as soon as you slowed.
-Pv-
I discounted aircraft as i was killed by a missile torpedo (according to google). But a surface ship didn't make much sense either... also the Reds had just taken Sweden, but not Norway so there was no Red land near the mission.

I never knew you got aircraft attached to these types of missions away from Reds bases. Good to know. Thanks
Old 09-29-17, 05:32 PM   #6
-Pv-
The Old Man

The geographical location of sea forces and their constitution has little or nothing to do with proximity to friendly land forces. Modern navel warfare is an international, boundless threat environment. The only limitation sea forces have is their ability to stay supplied in ammo, fuel and food. With proper logistics planning and resources (both the US and Russia in this time period have vast international supply capability) an armada can go anywhere in the world and keep supplied for weeks and months. Part of the game is your attempt to interfere with this resupply.

You should never assume the forces you have as adversaries have any limitations they would not have in the real world. This includes ship based anti-submarine missiles, helo and airplane launched torpedoes, rockets, depth charges, various kinds of submarine launched torpedoes, decoys, etc. Airplanes can fly hundreds or thousand of miles, helos can launch and recover from the same ships in the convoy around you no matter how far from land. Ships outside your detection range can launch missiles from long distance based on information from nearby enemy which have detected your location.

You should take a look through the in-game encyclopedia and get familiar with the platforms and weapons available to your enemy. You'll discover the threats are many and varied and you cannot assume you'll not encounter most if not all of them at some time or another.

You are a church mouse in a dark room full of cats and dogs, nipping at their heels.
-Pv-
Old 09-29-17, 08:20 PM   #7
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

while playing the open roaming mod I lawn darted before I fired the first torpedo. Paying attention is key. duh on my part lol Yes I posted a fail (sorta) , video I'm not perfect, but I got the sub fixed for another mission. I told the guys in dry-dock they didn't grease the rudder enough...not my fault.....

As for the OP my thought is you came way in too close to the enemy. He who fires first has a huge advantage

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote