SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-21-17, 09:05 AM   #1951
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1854 First Victoria Cross won during bombardment of Bomarsund in the Aland Islands (Crimean War).

1919 The German Navy, feeling betrayed by the terms of the Versailles Treaty, scuttles most of its ships interned at Great Britain's Scapa Flow Naval base in the Orkney Islands.

1942 Rommel takes Tobruk in North Africa.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 09:28 AM   #1952
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1942 World War II: Germany's latest fighter, a ****e-Wulf FW190 is captured intact when it mistakenly lands at RAF Pembrey in Wales.

1943 RAF discovers Werner von Braun's V1/V2-base in Peenemunde.

1974 1st extraterrestrial message sent from Earth into space.

2016 United Kingdom votes to leave the European Union in their "Brexit" referundum.

Old 06-24-17, 08:01 AM   #1953
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1917 Russian Black Sea fleet mutinies at Sebastopol.

1930 1st radar detection of planes, Anacostia, Washington, D.C.

1966 Period of relative peace following WW II exceeds that following WW I

Old 06-25-17, 10:44 AM   #1954
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1876 Battle of the Little Bighorn: US 7th Cavalry under Brevet Major General George Armstrong Custer wiped out by Sioux and Cheyenne warriors led by Chiefs Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull in what has become famously known as "Custer's Last Stand"

1940 Adolf Hitler views Eiffel tower & grave of Napoleon in Paris, France.

1942 British RAF staged a 1,000 bomb raid on Bremen Germany.

1943 Crematorium 3 at Birkenau is finished.

1947 1st version of Anne Frank's diary "Het Achterhuis" published in The Netherlands.

1950 North Korea invades South Korea, beginning the Korean War.

Old 06-25-17, 11:25 AM   #1955
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default A little "third man syndrome" here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1876 Battle of the Little Bighorn: US 7th Cavalry under Brevet Major General George Armstrong Custer wiped out by Sioux and Cheyenne warriors led by Chiefs Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull in what has become famously known as "Custer's Last Stand"
Von Clausewisc ON WAR:" Whenever possible, increase firepower: Since the early 1980s, archaeological researchers conducted battlefield excavations after a major grass fire. Historians have been studying accounts by participating Indians and tribal oral histories. Based on these elements, a contemporary reassessment of theBattle of the Little Bighorn has given Gall greater credit for several crucial tactical decisions that contributed to the Sioux and Cheyenne's overpowering defeat of the five companies of cavalry led byCuster of the 7th Cavalry.:
How Galling! ]
Quote:
Major Marcus Reno's initial attack on the southeast end of the Indian village killed Gall's two wives and several children. Gall described it: "My heart was very bad that day." During the opening phase of the battle, the Lakota and Cheyenne repulsed Reno's three companies of cavalry from the south-eastern end of their large village. Gall was one of the few Indians to suspect that Custer's strategy was probably a two-pronged attack. He believed that determining the location of the other half of Custer's attacking force was critical to Indian defense.
Gall crossed the river and rode to the northeast, where he spied Custer's chief scout, Mitch Bouyer, returning to Custer from an overwatch of the Indian village. After locating the main element of Custer's five companies, Gall correctly determined that they probably intended to force a river crossing and an entrance into the northern end of the village. Riding back down from the bluffs, Gall told Sioux and Cheyenne forces returning from Reno's repulse of his suspicions. With Crazy Horse, he led forces north across the river to drive Company E and F due north up present-day Calhoun Couley to present-day Finley Ridge. There they forced three of Custer's companies to fight a largely defensive battle.
Within minutes, Gall and his forces took a position north east of Finley Ridge and poured a withering fire down on Companies C, I and L. When Crazy Horse charged through an opening between Lt Calhoun's Company L and Company I in a sudden surprise right envelopment attack, Company L probably began to pull back off the ridge to try to link up with Company I. Companies C and L's tried to redeploy from holding off Gall's men to the east and others to the south. This probably looked like a panicked retreat to Gall and his forces.
Seeing that the two Cavalry companies no longer had the fire superiority that held the Indians at bay, Gall and his men attacked from the east as the other Indians attacked the cut-off elements of Company C from both the east and the south. They soon finished off Companies C and L, and forced survivors and some of Company I to flee towards Custer and his men north of the so-called "Last Stand Hill." A few of the soldiers of Companies C, I and L also fled south toward the river. The places where they fell were later marked by white marble monuments, which still stand.
Soon the Indians finished off Custer and his men in the remaining companies C, E, and K. The last approximately 28 survivors made a dash south for the river. They were trapped in the box canyon called "Deep Ravine". After killing them, the Indians had won the battle, having completely annihilated Custer's five companies.
In later years, Gall recounted his role in the battle. He had mistakenly thought the survivors of Custer's three southeastern companies fled northwest to Custer because they ran out of ammunition. The horse soldiers may also have fled after losing their will to fight, as many men simply ran, even abandoning loaded rifles. The Sioux and Cheyenne picked these up and fired the weapons to drive off the soldiers' horses, thus depriving them of a key tactical mobility advantage. The native warriors' attacking Greasy Grass Ridge from the southeast came mostly on foot. Gall kept up enfillading fire from the northeast.
After Little Big Horn, this man became an even greater chief amid the reservation politics and government genocidal mistreatmen of native Americans.... https://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2008/fall/gall.html

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-17, 10:49 AM   #1956
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1857 The first 62 recipients are awarded the Victoria Cross for valour in the Crimean war by Queen Victoria.

1911 Nieuport sets an aircraft speed record of 83 mph (133 kph).

1917 First US Expeditionary Force arrives in France during World War I.

1918 The Australian steamer Wimmera is sunk by a mine laid north of Cape Maria van Diemen in 1917 by the German raider Wolf; 26 of its 151 passengers and crew were killed.

1945 United Nations Charter signed by 50 nations in San Francisco.

1968 Iwo Jima & Bonin Islands returned to Japan by US.

Old 06-28-17, 09:56 AM   #1957
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1880 Australian bushranger Ned Kelly captured at Glenrowan.

1914 Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophie are assassinated in Sarajevo by young Serb nationalist Gavrilo Princip at 10.45, the casus belli of WWI.

1919 Treaty of Versailles, ending WWI and establishing the League of Nations, is signed in France.

1950 North Korean forces capture Seoul, South Korea in opening phase of the Korean War.

1967 George Harrison is fined £6 for speeding.

Old 06-29-17, 09:48 AM   #1958
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1940 Batman Comics, mobsters rubbed out a circus highwire team known as the Flying Graysons, leaving their son Dick (Robin) an orphan.

1943 Germany begins withdrawing U-boats from North Atlantic in anticipation of the Allied invasion of Europe.

1944 Rommel & von Rundstedt travel to Berchtesgaden.

1952 USS Oriskany becomes 1st aircraft carrier to sail around Cape Horn.

Old 06-30-17, 09:49 AM   #1959
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1900 4 German liners burn at Hobokon Docks NJ, 326 die.

1905 In Russia, the "Potemkin" arrives at Odessa, where sailors take the bodies of dead crewman ashore; sailors join civilians in revolutionary actions of the '1905 Revolution'

1905 The crew of the Russian battleship "Georgei Pobiedonosets" mutinies in support of the "Potemkin", which mutinied three days earlier.

1934 "Night of Long Knives" - Hitler stages a bloody purge of the Nazi party.

1939 Heinkel He 176 rocket plane flies for 1st time, at Peenemunde.

1942 Col-gen Von Paul's 6th Army enters Ukraine.

1942 U-boats sink and damage 146 allied ships this month (700,227 tons).

Old 06-30-17, 03:02 PM   #1960
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Icon12 The big naval battle of the plains: Hordes of Indians & hoards of gold!

JUNE 30 1876: The steam boat Far West carries wounded survivors all the way back to Bismarck ND from Custer's last stand. They key to understanding the battle of Little Big Horn is to comprehend the river network which formed the basis of military strategy of the Sioux and the US Army.<(enlarges) Horses(and immense buffalo herds) operate on water so all cavalry operations revolved around water hence the location of the huge Indian camp( est. 10,000) along the banks to the Little Big Horn an area suitable for a herd estimated at 20,000+ animals. After the disaster of June 25 the army's steam boat, Far West, carrying supplies to the army, switched priorities and carried 52 wounded survivors 7i0 miles over wild rivers back to Bismarck, ND the headquarters of the Seventh cavalry..an 54 hour transit, starting on the 30th, that stands to this day. The famously able captain, Grant Marsh, buried some $375,000 in gold bars entrusted to him by fearful miners to lighten the load and make room for the wounded and the firewood to make the voyage. Approximately twenty miles up the Little Bighorn from the Yellowstone River.... Marsh returned to reclaim the hoard but a mud slide had buried the site. The treasure has never been recovered.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-30-17 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 04:34 PM   #1961
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Ah yes, the good old Far West.. friend of mine built it as a model almost 1 1/2 meters long. The long wooden beams with their blocks ad tackles were not only for loading/unloading, but also for stemming the hull over sandbanks (called grasshopping), it was a typical "mountain boat". The braces that held the hull up could also be adjusted to lift the hull at certain places and come clear again.. unfortunately she later hit a snag and was given up. For a river boat she had a long service time and was indeed lucky, certainly due to her captain, Mr. Marsh

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 06:08 PM   #1962
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon9 How the west was really won!

You left out Old Shatterhand and Winnetou; and brother horses; Hatatitla (Lightning), and Iltschi ! As conductors of biological warfare in the West, steamboats weere indispensable: http://bigskyjournal.com/fly-fishing-2013/steamboat-acomin
Quote:
Historic archives of the western movement show there was no more dangerous carrier of dreaded diseases such as smallpox and cholera than the steamboats that plied their way up the Missouri. Plains Indians had little or no resistance to the deadly smallpox virus transmitted through close respiratory contact, often with devastating results. Captain-pilot Joseph La Barge is reported to have said that the shores of the Missouri were a continuous graveyard. Crewmen and passengers dying from outbreaks of cholera and smallpox were buried at hundreds of places in unmarked graves.
In 1837, the steamer St. Peters left St. Louis en route to Ft. Union, N.D., and earned an infamous niche in the annals of western medicine by touching off an epidemic of smallpox that afflicted nearly every tribe from the Platte to the Rockies. The virulent virus was first unleashed among the Mandan Indians at Ft. Clark and in a few short weeks, hundreds of fatalities occurred. From the infected Mandans, the plague spread and inflicted additional outbreaks on nearby Arikaras, Pawnees and Minnatarees. As the St. Peters moved upstream, the smallpox virus was transferred to Indians at Fort Union. From here the disease spread to other tribal members and to outlying tribes such as the Crow and Blackfeet. By the end of the next year after the St. Peter’s departure from Ft. Union, an estimated 15,000 Northern Plains Indians had died from the disease.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-01-17 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 09:00 AM   #1963
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1916 First day of the Battle of the Somme: the British Army suffers its worst day, losing 19,240 men (WWI).

1944 Von Rundstedt against Keitel: "Sign peace, idiots!"

1946 US drops atom bomb on Bikini atoll (4th atomic explosion).

1997 United Kingdom returns Hong Kong and the New Territories to the People's Republic of China.

Old 07-02-17, 07:35 AM   #1964
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1900 First flight LZ-1, of a dirigible airship designed by Graf Ferdinand von Zeppelin, at Lake Constance near Friedrichshafen, Germany.

1940 Hitler orders invasion of Britain (Operation Sealion).

1943 Gulf of Biskaje: Liberator bombers sinks U-126.

1943 Lt Charles Hall becomes first black pilot to shoot down a German plane.

1957 1st submarine designed to fire guided missiles launched, Grayback.

Old 07-03-17, 03:15 PM   #1965
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1816 French frigate "Medusa" runs aground off Cap Blanc. Gross incompetence kills 150 in calm seas.

1863 Battle of Gettysburg: Largest battle ever fought on the American continent, ends in a major victory for the Union during the US Civil War.

1886 In Germany, Karl Benz drives 1st automobile.

1939 Ernst Heinkel demonstrates 800 kph (500 mph) rocket plane to Hitler.

1940 British Royal Navy sinks French fleet in Mers-el-Kebir, Algeria, to prevent Germany seizing it.

1943 Liberator bombers sinks U-628.

1976 Israel launches rescue of 103 Air France crew & passengers being held at Entebbe Airport in Uganda by pro-Palestinian hijackers.