SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-08-17, 06:26 AM   #1
Tschuldigung
Swabbie

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default A newbie has questions - running on WIN 10

Hello!

First: Thank you for that forum! Seems to be the right place for Silent Hunter fans.
So am I - or better: I will become one.

I just installed a "new" computer for my parent's house, just for fooling around a bit.

Here, I got some issues which are unclear, why they happen. There should be no problem with the hardware itself.

The system:
DELL OptiPlex 755
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz
8 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro
ATI Radeon HD6450 2GB

Installed Silent Hunter 4 Version:
German "CBS" Version (a give-away full version with no copy protection) and the "U-Boat Missions" Add on, patched to V1.5

Just for setting up the machine, I had an old VGA Monitor with 1280x1024 resolution. Running the game on maximum settings was absolutely no problem.

Now, the final setup just changed the Monitor to a DVI 1680x1050

No settings in game have been changend.
But the game does not run smooth any more. To be clear: The mouse pointer does not "fly smooth" over the screen - the graphics itself seems to be okay so far.

That is strange, as in my opinion there should be no difference.

Do I need any non-official patch?

Any help would be nice.

* edit: VSync needed or not? I did not activate VSync.
Tschuldigung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 07:03 AM   #2
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I would suggest you read this thread "[TEC] Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" when using Windows 10, AND having 8 gigs of ram memory as you do.

The fact that a new, out-of-the-box, Windows 10 OS doesn't provide the older DirectX files that are required for this old game to run. NOR, does it give you the older .NetFramework versions (or enables them either) that once again, were used by the game. AND to help with game stability, using an App like Large Address Aware to provide the game with additional memory access (since you have plenty of ram) are all important to bring Windows 10 and this 10 year old game together.

In both the DirectX 12, and the .NetFramework issues with Windows 10, my thread shows you how to check these items......to see if their as they should be. It also helps in choosing the correct LAA version (depending on which .NetFramework version your system has), and how to make sure its running for the game to access your extra memory.

As far as your direct question regarding the VSync setting? I have mine turned off....it doesn't seem to matter either way.

By the way, WELCOME to SubSim Tschuldigung!!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 06-08-17 at 07:34 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 07:14 AM   #3
Tschuldigung
Swabbie

Hey, thank you for this link.

I will take a sharp look to this soon.

First thing I did after the out-of-the-bos Windows 10 setup: I installed the "old directx" pack on my machine.

Still strange, that with the old 5:4 monitor I had absolutely no issue with SH4.

But, no problem. Thant you for that link anyway.
Old 06-08-17, 07:56 AM   #4
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

One thing about this game, that old 5:4 ratio monitor was exactly what the game was designed for. In the early 2000's when this game (SHIII too) were designed, wide screen, high resolution monitors were just a pipe dream! The game didn't take into account what was over the horizon as far as possible standard computer features of today. It simply was not designed for what we use now.

Some of the screen may be "cut off" in certain in-game pages due to this lack of making the page to fit a screen resolution/aspect ratio the game wasn't designed to render. The Captain's Log, when in-port, is one of those pages. Some players have complained "Why doesn't my sinking of ship XYZ show in my Log?" They don't have the ship listed, so they think the game is screwed up in its math. The truth is, the stock game doesn't render this page fully on the larger resolution/aspect ratio screens....the bottom is cut off. Ship XYZ may have been at the bottom of the list, but never seen because of the cut off issue. I was able to fix this with the mod called Fotrs Ultimate, but there isn't a specific modification to correct this for the stock game.

That's why adding an app like Larger Address Aware helps in bringing the game up to speed with the memory we think of as "standard" today. At least you'll get the most out of your memory with this old game, even though it won't help the lack of resolution/aspect ratio screen rendering.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 09:14 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard firsttime poster!

Tschuldigung!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 10:10 AM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Tschuldigung
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Support The New SH4 Mega Mod Project FOTRSU > 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.56 PublicBeta_EN
Steam Conversion SH4 Installation Instructions By ValoWay
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-17, 03:01 PM   #7
Tschuldigung
Swabbie

Hi, me again.

So, I added the RAM tool. Only Thing i changed so far.
All the other advices I did by myself even before I read it (own game Folder, not "programs..." and so on).

I switched the Monitors back and forth, and I always don't have any issues with the old 5:4 screen, but some lags with the widescreen.

The game itself doesn't make any trouble. Now, even if it sounds impossible, I think the graphics card is the problem. Yes, SH4 is an old game, and even this low-end HTPC graphics card should do the Job with maximun settings - but for some reason, it seems to be to much.

Well, it is not to bad for me, I think I will keep it as it is or adjust the graphics level a bit. I want to keep the PC silent, so I did chose a passive-cooled low-end card.

But still a big "thank you" for that RAM advice!