SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-30-14, 07:04 AM   #1
Kng
Watch

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
SHO A bunch of questions...

Greetings,

first, my utter respect and only the highest regards for the subsim-community. What an outstanding achievement, what a great nexus for everyone interested in naval warfare simulations. Now, a few words to clarify my situation. I have been playing SH3 for a few weeks now. I used LSH, changed over to GWX, tried NYGM, and went back to GWX. My current setup is GWX 3.0 Gold, h.sie's fixes and SH3 Commander with the corresponding .cfg files for GWX.

I am thinking about getting the MAGUI and the Merchant fleet mod.

Now, my question:

1. While the thread for the MAGUI mod does not list any problems, are there problems that could occur while integrating MAGUI in my current setup? I would re-run the h.sie process, of course.

2. I read about some problems caused by the Merchant fleet mod in conjunction with GWX. Is this still a thing? What do I have to expect? My highest concern is a very stable version.

3. Is there any way to disable the sound notification upon receiving a telegram? Some may refer to it as the "beep beep beep beeeeeep"-thing... it is really, really annoying.

4. Is there a way to reduce the sound level of the pings while being tracked by a enemy vessel? It is quite loud compared to the other sounds and after a 2 hour chase, this really drives me crazy. Immersion is great, but not for the price of actually loosing my nerves.

5. I saw some mods using the Sextant and I would like to navigate my u-boat. Do you have any recommandations? I would even like to have a ship position on the map, which becomes vastly inaccurate over time, if I do not step outside and use the sextant for exact positioning. Doing this would update the position on the map and the cycle begins again. I hope you know what I mean. I read, that SH3 uses a few weird settings for this purpose, like a kn being 1.8km and not 1.852km and so on, but one could work around that. Alternatively, doing all the navigation would be something to consider as well.

6. Is there a good way to get a range guestimation using the sonar/Funkmessung? I am currently sailing in a VIIB, will there be a way to get a somewhat decent range from underneath the surface?

Thank you guys in advance, those are a lot of questions, some might be dumb, sorry for that.

Best wishes and fette Beute,

Kng
Kng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-14, 09:21 AM   #2
glassbottom
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

Welcome Kng.
I'm in almost the exact same boat as you, so I don't have all the answers, however I have my SH3 installed with GWX gold, and have installed Magui F in conjunction with this and it works well.
Unfortunately, that is the only answer I can provide with any certainty.

I have found that JSGME allows you to remove and add mods quickly, so my advice is to simply add the mods you want one at a time and run a couple tutorial missions to see that everything still works.
You can always remove the mod that creates any conflict.
glassbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-14, 09:23 AM   #3
glassbottom
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

hey, ^ I was just promoted to swabbie.
Pays to help
glassbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-14, 05:12 PM   #4
Kng
Watch

Thank you! And congratulations!

I will try and enable Magui then!
Old 08-30-14, 06:52 PM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kng View Post
6. Is there a good way to get a range guestimation using the sonar/Funkmessung? I am currently sailing in a VIIB, will there be a way to get a somewhat decent range from underneath the surface?
Not really. The hydrophone crewmember gives a very rough range. Basically 3 range regions. But not enough to plot something with.

If you don't mind cheating a bit, you can use the faint ends of the sonar bearings shown on the map. But it is questionable if that was reliable in real life.

There are methods of finding position, course and speed based on (hydrophone) bearings alone. (4-bearing method) It is done drawing geometry on the map. But that takes alot of time, and needs a bit of a sprint on the surface to be accurate. And it is best for beyond visual range situations if you know nothing about the target. Not when the target is already near and visible.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-14, 07:08 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kng View Post
1. While the thread for the MAGUI mod does not list any problems, are there problems that could occur while integrating MAGUI in my current setup? I would re-run the h.sie process, of course.
I don't run any GUI mods, but as far as I know, no, you shouldn't have any problems. As Glassbottom said, JSGME is vital to adding mods, mainly because it lets you disable them if they cause problems or even if you just don't like them.

Quote:
2. I read about some problems caused by the Merchant fleet mod in conjunction with GWX. Is this still a thing? What do I have to expect? My highest concern is a very stable version.
The only problem with the MFM is its size. My poor old computer won't even run it. Put simply, it's huge. You need to use the 4-Gig Patch, which lets you PC run 4 gigs of RAM at the same time. If your machine can do that you should be fine.

Quote:
3. Is there any way to disable the sound notification upon receiving a telegram? Some may refer to it as the "beep beep beep beeeeeep"-thing... it is really, really annoying.
Unless you saved a copy of the Data folder before installing GWX, you'll have to do it yourself. Download one of the many free Audio Editors available (I used www.goldwave.com when I did mine). You'll have to edit the sound in all three files (RaM_K_New_message_received,
RaM_P_New_message_received and RaM_S_New_message_received) and you'll have to do it in all nine folders. Other than that you can probably convince someone who has the stock game to send you all those files and just replace them.

Quote:
4. Is there a way to reduce the sound level of the pings while being tracked by a enemy vessel? It is quite loud compared to the other sounds and after a 2 hour chase, this really drives me crazy. Immersion is great, but not for the price of actually loosing my nerves.
Again you can edit those yourself, and since they are .wav files you can do it with your computer's onboard Sound Recorder.

Quote:
5. I saw some mods using the Sextant and I would like to navigate my u-boat. Do you have any recommandations? I would even like to have a ship position on the map, which becomes vastly inaccurate over time, if I do not step outside and use the sextant for exact positioning.
You might start here. Bear in mind that SH3 has one serious flaw, which is that if you don't use waypoints the course will drift. I don't mean the course with drift, which would be a good thing, but that the helmsman will fall asleep at the wheel and your boat will travel in circles or wander all over the map, which is not the way it works in real life. You'll have to be willing to keep a sharp eye on the helm and reset the heading...a lot.

Quote:
Yes, if you don't mind cheating. With the stock setup the sonar lines end at the precise location of the target. All you have to do is measure them to know exactly where the target is. For precisely (or imprecisely) that reason I use the mod that makes all the lines extend all the way to the horizon. Without active sonar there was no way to get an exact reading without using the periscope.

For further information on what mods work best with GWX you might want to check out this thread.
Old 08-30-14, 07:58 PM   #7
Kng
Watch

Pisces, Sailor Steve, thank you so much for your answers!

I know it must be quite a handful answering all those questions again and again, but every answer is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Kng
Old 09-01-14, 11:35 AM   #8
Kng
Watch

Alright, thanks!