SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-10, 12:17 PM   #181
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

The interface is right now full of placeholders, so there's not much to show. But it will be completed soon
Old 01-21-10, 06:21 PM   #182
BillCar
Engineer

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 0

Hitman, will you be using the telemeter markings from your optics mod?

Also, this is a bit off topic, but could you explain how to use the markings in the historical attack periscope? There are 4 dividing hashmarks on one side of the 10 marker, and 3 on the other. I figure that you're the best person to ask, and that this is maybe a good place to ask you, since you'll probably have it in your GUI!
SH3: 100% Realism, DID, GWX 3.0 + SH3 Commander 3.2 + HITMAN'S BETA GUI FOR GWX 3.0 (in a word: AMAZING) + FM Interiors + SH5 Water + Thomsen's Sound Pack 3.2 + BillCar's Sonar Ping http://tinyurl.com/billcarpingmod

SH4: 100% Realism, DID, RFB / TMO1.9+RSRDC / OM+OMEGU.
BillCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 04:00 PM   #183
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Bill, here are some previews finally: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...20#post1243520

But it's still in early stage, it should look better when finished

Quote:
how to use the markings in the historical attack periscope? There are 4 dividing hashmarks on one side of the 10 marker, and 3 on the other. I figure that you're the best person to ask, and that this is maybe a good place to ask you, since you'll probably have it in your GUI!
My research so far indicates that those marks frequently seen in flims of that era are probably FAKE for film purposes. Real, trustworthy pictures through periscopes or descriptions of reticles show a very different pattern.

But if that reticle you are referring to was reallly used, the best explanation I can find is that one part of the reticle was divided in grades (The one with 3 marks) and the other in milliradians (The one with 4 marks), allowing different uses.

With a milliradian reticle, like the one included in my previous mod, or in the incoming one, the formula to get range is:

Target heigth / Scale x 1000 = Range
Old 01-22-10, 04:17 PM   #184
BillCar
Engineer

Downloads: 73

Neat! Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense to me. I wonder, is there a formula to calculate AOB using the hash marks that run on the horizontal plane? It seems like it should be possible, if you find the range, to then find the rough angle on bow - sort of like the slide rule in OLC. Do you know if this was done?

WOW, that GUI looks amazing!! Seriously, that looks really, really well done. Great work! I am already excited!
SH3: 100% Realism, DID, GWX 3.0 + SH3 Commander 3.2 + HITMAN'S BETA GUI FOR GWX 3.0 (in a word: AMAZING) + FM Interiors + SH5 Water + Thomsen's Sound Pack 3.2 + BillCar's Sonar Ping http://tinyurl.com/billcarpingmod

SH4: 100% Realism, DID, RFB / TMO1.9+RSRDC / OM+OMEGU.
BillCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-11, 05:23 PM   #185
YuriJanssen
Swabbie

Downloads: 48

I know this is a Major thread-necro but i thought making a new topic was not needed either.

I have made one of hitman's wheels and am trying to use it but i can't really seem to figure out (even after reading almost all the previous posts on here) how this thing is supposed to give targets course.

I've only made this to know what the targets course is, that will help me enough to line up 90 degree shots. but how do i do it?

as im doing it now:
-hold the wheel 180 facing up where the little arrow is too
-I turn the inner (yellow second to largest) wheel to the bearing my nose is pointing at. (with the outside numbers)
-After that i turn the big long pointer at the bearing i last spotted the ship at from my position, i use the numbrs on the biggest brown disk for this
-Then to finish up i turn the 'lage' red/green wheel so that the green and red arrow line up with the long pointer.

-i then take my course from the inner second to largest yellow wheel, using the inside numbers

I get really odd readings on what course he must be having, that are totally off (tested). i must be doing something horribly wrong but i can't seem to understand what.

Can anyone help me out?
Thanks!
YuriJanssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 04:01 PM   #186
Jmellor1
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 52

YuriJannsen,
Wonder who else is still using this wheel. I've made one of these about 3 months ago, It's a blast to use. The intercept technique works great. Follow the link in post 174 (from Pisces)for the handbook. It is in English and shows how much you can do with this thing. There is more than one way to get a target heading. (AOB or range/plotting)

John
Jmellor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 05:37 PM   #187
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98

^^^ Hi John, just wanted to officially welcome you to Subsim. Thanks for the input and hope you enjoy the site!

Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 04:46 PM   #188
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmellor1 View Post
YuriJannsen,
Wonder who else is still using this wheel. I've made one of these about 3 months ago, It's a blast to use. The intercept technique works great. Follow the link in post 174 (from Pisces)for the handbook. It is in English and shows how much you can do with this thing. There is more than one way to get a target heading. (AOB or range/plotting)

John
No need to search everywhere anymore for this book. It's in the download section of SH3 here too now:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3405
Old 11-03-11, 05:22 PM   #189
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriJanssen View Post
I know this is a Major thread-necro but i thought making a new topic was not needed either.

I have made one of hitman's wheels and am trying to use it but i can't really seem to figure out (even after reading almost all the previous posts on here) how this thing is supposed to give targets course.

I've only made this to know what the targets course is, that will help me enough to line up 90 degree shots. but how do i do it?

as im doing it now:
-hold the wheel 180 facing up where the little arrow is too
-I turn the inner (yellow second to largest) wheel to the bearing my nose is pointing at. (with the outside numbers)
-After that i turn the big long pointer at the bearing i last spotted the ship at from my position, i use the numbrs on the biggest brown disk for this
-Then to finish up i turn the 'lage' red/green wheel so that the green and red arrow line up with the long pointer.

-i then take my course from the inner second to largest yellow wheel, using the inside numbers

I get really odd readings on what course he must be having, that are totally off (tested). i must be doing something horribly wrong but i can't seem to understand what.

Can anyone help me out?
Thanks!
You cannot use the red/green line (which indicate 90 degrees AOB, angle on bow) to tell what course the target has. You have to look at how the ship is facing, and use that. Once you have the actual AOB set up, then you can look which course is the one that make you at cross angles to his course. Not before!

Personally I like to keep the N of north on the yellow disk pointing up. The brown disk I change as I change course.

1. Align your course (on the yellow disk) to the white triangle on the largest brown disk.

2. There are 2 sides to the long pointer, one end has a drawing of a boat with a black triangle on the bow, the other a black thick line on his aft. Choose the end like you are seeing the target, are you looking at his tail, or on his bow. Align that end with the bearing of the periscope/UZO/Binoculars on the brown disk.

3. Align the smaller disk (with "Lage" in red and green) to the long pointer with the actual angle as you see his bow. (if you are looking at an angle on his tail, consider the angle to the bow instead, so 180-AOB))

4. The pointer attached to the smallest disk has a triangle in a boat symbol, which points to the outer scale of the yellow disk. That is the target course!

Example:

1: Own course is 035. 35 on the outside scale of the yellow disk is against the white triangle on the brown disk.

2: Looking at peri/uzo/bino bearing 125, he is approaching so you choose the bow-end of the pointer. This end of the pointer should now point to 340 on the outer scale of the yellow disk.

3: I guesstimate (by eye) the angle on the bow to be 65, his right bow that is: Green 65 under the bow end of the long pointer.

4: The black 0 on the smallest disk is at 95 degrees on the inner scale of the yellow disk, and the black triangle on the attached pointer points to 275 of the outside scale. 275 is the target's course.

Ok, let's say you want to set a course that puts you at right angles to his course, in other words, his future bearing where his AOB is 90. This is the red or green thin arrow on the smallest disk. Since you are looking to his right bow you choose the green line at 90.

Move the pointer over to the green 90, while holding the other disks fixed to one another. The outside scale is the course to go: 005. While the long pointer now points to periscope/uzo/bino bearing 150. This is where you turn you periscope to, and press the "-" key to 'set heading to view'. (could be the "=" key, I keep mixing them up)

Let's see if you get the same readings now.

Last edited by Pisces; 11-03-11 at 06:00 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 11:45 AM   #190
frenetico
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
No need to search everywhere anymore for this book. It's in the download section of SH3 here too now:

Thanks
frenetico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 05:02 PM   #191
Ilpalazzo
Frogman

Downloads: 20

Thinking of giving SH5 a try. I made one of these wheels once (came out pretty bad). Was thinking of trying this wheel thing again. Links in first post don't seem to work. Looks like I didn't hang onto the file either.

woop. just noticed the link on the previous page

Last edited by Ilpalazzo; 03-25-12 at 05:12 PM.
Ilpalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 08:33 AM   #192
Joefour
Engineer

Default Angriffsscheibe

Hey Guys,

Is there some place I can find a printable version of this german whiz wheel some place so I can build myself one? The links that were there all seem to be broken. Can't find the files. I know I'm a bit late on the scene.
Joefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 08:37 AM   #193
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

All I can find is a link to a guide of its use:

Try sending Hitman a PM.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 08:43 AM   #194
Joefour
Engineer

Default Agriffsscheibe

Thanks!
Joefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 08:51 AM   #195
Joefour
Engineer