SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-14-11, 12:46 PM   #571
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275
Uploads: 0

We all live and learn Steve, you'd be surprised how many times I have done the same

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 04:18 PM   #572
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post

Sorry, just laughing at myself. I've reinstalled SH3 and GWX dozens of times, and I just realized I've never reinstalled the Cfg files in question. After wondering if I was hurting myself somehow, I just realized that that particular file is in Commander, and of course uninstalling and reinstalling SH3 doesn't touch the Commmander folder.
NOOB!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 06:07 PM   #573
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
We all live and learn Steve
Well, you live and learn. Me? I just live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
NOOB!
I guess I should be grateful you're not calling me old again.
Old 01-15-11, 08:05 AM   #574
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Steve: You don't have to be old to have Altzheimer's
Old 01-15-11, 09:05 AM   #575
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
Or good looking either

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 10:36 AM   #576
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
And you don't have have any brain diseases to be stupid. I manage just fine without excuses, thanks.
Old 01-17-11, 12:03 PM   #577
Gryffon300
Engineer

Downloads: 58
Default 'THE' Commander

Well, its back to a noobie question, i'm afraid.
Trying to get my head around Crew Management.
Should I use SH3C ('THE' Commander) exclusively for crew management, or continue to go to the Barracks etc from my 'office' pre or post-mission within SH3 GWX3.0? Or both?

There are some significant restrictions from within SH3, which in some ways seem more believable. For example, SH3 only lets me add one qualification per patrol. This means I really have to be on my toes re crew exhaustion v. compartment efficiency, whereas SH3 lets me give everyone in the whole crew multiple qualifications from the first cruise or two. Was this intended? This seems to give me a MUCH better crew than I deserve.

In addition, I, as the commander, seem able to pass out as many awards as I like to the whole crew (after their first patrol with me), whereas, SH3 severly limits the number of awards (seems more like it), though allows the commander to assign who they go to. Again, is this what SH3C intended to do? Would virtually the whole crew really have got Iron Crosses after a successful mission if The Old Man was in a particularly generous mood (or had visited Munich during Oktoberfest while deciding)? On this point I admit to being historically bog ignorant (but am curious).

Last edited by Gryffon300; 01-17-11 at 12:35 PM.
Gryffon300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 12:31 PM   #578
rowi58
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 56

Hi Folks

who never ever played SH3 with the SH3_Cmdr - he (or she) is realy missing somthing.

Nevertheless - i will never ever play SH3 without SH3_Cmdr. SH3_Cmdrr with all of it's possibilities? That's the best ever!

Greetings
rowi58
Old 01-17-11, 12:32 PM   #579
Gryffon300
Engineer

Default Malfunction

Maybe I didn't quite get it, but I notice that in the GWX3.0 sticky thread they emphatically advise that, "For SH3 Commander users:
PLEASE ENSURE that you run SH3 Commander WITHOUT the 'Sabotage and Malfunctions' option enabled."

Is this still the case? - I am running 'malfunctions' (but not sabotage - MY crew would never betray the Fatherland!), and it seems to be going fine. (On the previous cruise I had 'vaseline' all over my attack scope. And in this cruise, when I select 'ahead flank', Engine Telegraph and Speed drop to zero - it made chasing down a whale factory ship doing between 8 & 11 knots in bad weather, when I was only able to get from 6 - 10 knots out of the ol' girl on full, a real interesting exercise in patience and tactics. I LIKE it!

The reason I hadn't noted this before, is that I DL'd and installed GWX some weeks before I decided to DL SH3 (for the first time).
Old 01-17-11, 12:41 PM   #580
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffon300 View Post
How dare you interrupt yet another stupid joke session to be serious?

Quote:
Should I use SH3C ('THE' Commander) exclusively for crew management, or continue to go to the Barracks etc from my 'office' pre or post-mission within SH3 GWX3.0? Or both?
I stick with SH3C for all management duties, except of course when first starting the career.

Quote:
There are some significant restrictions from within SH3, which in some ways seem more believable. For example, SH3 only lets me add one qualification per patrol. This means I really have to be on my toes re crew exhaustion v. compartment efficiency, whereas SH3 lets me give everyone in the whole crew multiple qualifications from the first cruise or two. Was this intended? This seems to give me a MUCH better crew than I deserve.
The way SH3 does it is much more difficult than real life. The fact is that there is no such thing as an 'unqualified' petty officer. The very nature of the navy (any navy) is that by the the time you reach the equivalent of an E-4 rank your career path is set, and you have been studying that skill set for a couple of years at least.

I always start a career with a 'false patrol'. I sail out into the harbor, look at the sights, and dock again. This ensures that my first 'real' patrol will not start on the first of the month, and it lets me go into Commander and pass out the quals.

Just remember that POs can have more than one, but only the first one will work. On a submarine everyone cross-trains, but each man only has one real specialty. With officers you can have two.

Quote:
In addition, I, as the commander, seem able to pass out as many awards as I like to the whole crew (after their first patrol with me), whereas, SH3 severly limits the number of awards (seems more like it), though allows the commander to assign who they go to. Again, is this what SH3C intended to do? Would virtually the whole crew really have got Iron Crosses after a successful mission? On this point I admit to being historically bog ignorant (but am curious).
Yes, Commander is meant to make all aspects of the game more realistic. The key to handing out awards is to limit yourself to what you feel is real. I only give out medals if I feel someone truly deserves them.

One side-note: Keep a note of anyone who's wounded. The stock game is weird in that if the Sani (medic) heals a wounded man that man is no longer wounded, and you can't give him a wound badge. SH3C lets you give out the badges, but you need to remember who it was who got hit.
Old 01-17-11, 12:43 PM   #581
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Maybe I didn't quite get it, but I notice that in the GWX3.0 sticky thread they emphatically advise that, "For SH3 Commander users:
PLEASE ENSURE that you run SH3 Commander WITHOUT the 'Sabotage and Malfunctions' option enabled."

Is this still the case? - I am running 'malfunctions' (but not sabotage - MY crew would never betray the Fatherland!), and it seems to be going fine. (On the previous cruise I had 'vaseline' all over my attack scope. And in this cruise, when I select 'ahead flank', Engine Telegraph and Speed drop to zero - it made chasing down a whale factory ship doing between 8 & 11 knots in bad weather, when I was only able to get from 6 - 10 knots out of the ol' girl on full, a real interesting exercise in patience and tactics. I LIKE it!

The reason I hadn't noted this before, is that I DL'd and installed GWX some weeks before I decided to DL SH3 (for the first time).
I run Malfunctions with no problems, at least none that I've ever noticed. Sabotage (for me at least) is for the French ports, where the local dockworkers might be partisans.
Old 01-17-11, 12:47 PM   #582
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:

In addition, I, as the commander, seem able to pass out as many awards as I like to the whole crew (after their first patrol with me), whereas, SH3 severly limits the number of awards (seems more like it), though allows the commander to assign who they go to. Again, is this what SH3C intended to do? Would virtually the whole crew really have got Iron Crosses after a successful mission? On this point I admit to being historically bog ignorant (but am curious).
It's up to you and how you want to play.

From what I've learned here, it's unlikely that any NCO would be an NCO had he not been qualified in some area of special training. So typically after a first patrol I will give a qualification to any petty officer who doesn't already have one.

Also, even if you award qualifications to all your enlisted men (which Commander will let you do), it has no effect on game play as the game itself doesn't recognize it. But it can be helpful to use the feature if you want to assign crewmen to particular areas of duty, which would be realistic as even among the enlisted men on a u-boat the crew was divided between "technical" personnel (engine room, torpedo mechanics, etc.) and those whose primary duties were more traditionally "nautical" in nature - navigation, watchkeeping, etc.

As far as awards go, it did sometimes happen in RL that an entire crew would receive an Iron Cross after a successful patrol, and the game does not allow for this. Even if you feel 4 guys should get a medal or 3 guys deserve promotion, if the game says you can only award 2 medals and 1 promotion, that's what you're stuck with.

SH3 Commander simply intends to give you more options than the game does. How you use them and whether or not you do use them is up to you.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 02:16 PM   #583
Gryffon300
Engineer

Thanks, SSteve & The Frau(line). That helps a lot.
Old 01-18-11, 01:52 AM   #584
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:

That message is old news, loooong superceded by the availablility of updated config files.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 07:43 AM   #585
Gryffon300
Engineer

Yes, JScones, I had assumed that that was the case (from the fun and quirky things that are now happening - latest is after a while had ded slow on run silent speed magically creeps up to 4 or 5 knots, thus making me detectable - if I survive this current pounding, I'm going to have the Chief Engineers hide for sloppy engine management!). Thanks a lot, you mad genius!!!

So, could I suggest that the GWX team edit the GWX installation instructions to remove the loooong outdated warning?

Tags
sh3 commander