Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-11-14, 12:18 PM   #1
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Default Target Motion Analysis Tutorial

** I've searched through the rules but didn't find anything about this. Please let me know if this is frowned upon here! **

Howdy, all! I'm FPSchazly and I love making Dangerous Waters videos. Some of you have probably seen me around the YouTubez, others probably haven't. A grand majority of my videos are me commentating over videos as I play through the default Dangerous Waters campaign and the Red Storm Rising campaign.

Recently, I decided to start a Tutorial series because it was requested by many and because the resources that come with Dangerous Waters aren't really the best/limited. Now, I've already done six tutorials but I'm reckoning that most of you on here already know how to do that stuff (Radar, ESM, Navigation, Fire Control, etc.). Today, I'm releasing a new tutorial on how to do Target Motion Analysis. This is, by far, the topic on which most people have requested help.

Now, this tutorial doesn't get too crazy in depth. That will be for more advanced tutorials. This tutorial is focused solely on TMA and how to interpret basic waterfall trends and plot basic solutions.

So, without further ado, here it is! I hope this can help at least one person out there! Thank you.

P.S. Is there a way to do a media embed like on other forums?
P.P.S. Feel free to let me know if anything is confusing or if you find a mistake! I want these tutorials to be the best they can be, so, as they say, lay it on me.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 01:45 AM   #2
tirta
Seaman

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0

Thanks FPSchazly for the tutorial.
I really appreciate it.
I am looking forward for the advanced tutorial.
tirta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 09:10 PM   #3
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirta View Post
Thanks FPSchazly for the tutorial.
I really appreciate it.
I am looking forward for the advanced tutorial.
Glad to hear it!

My videos:
Old 05-13-14, 01:34 AM   #4
smithcorp
Bosun

Downloads: 27

Glad you have posted about these here. I've been watching the tutorials you've produced (as well as some of your play-throughs) and found then useful. I'm most of the way through the TMA one and it's damn good!
smithcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 11:44 AM   #5
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcorp View Post
Glad you have posted about these here. I've been watching the tutorials you've produced (as well as some of your play-throughs) and found then useful. I'm most of the way through the TMA one and it's damn good!
Thanks!

My videos:
Old 05-15-14, 04:16 AM   #6
Shkval
Planesman

Downloads: 54

Good one for an absolute beginner... but... you didn't show the most important stuff... the merging of bow and stern sensors/trackers data in waterfall (Master 01, Master 02 etc) and their usage in TMA. We know that crossing of bearing lines in TMA gives much more accurate picture about contact's heading, speed, distance etc.

1. First two bearings crossing gives: Exact Bearing, Approximate Distance, Unknown Speed, Unknown Course;

2. Second two bearings crossing gives: Exact Bearing, Exact Distance, Approximate Speed, Approximate Course;

3. Third two bearings crossing gives: Exact Bearing, Exact Distance, Exact Course, Very good idea of contact's speed.

It turns out that minimum time for a decent TMA solution is at least 6 minutes, the more time you have to observe contact, the better solution is! That's why the distance, i.e. first bearings crossings, is the most important part of the solution, it gives you the idea how much time you have! That is why the quietness of a sub is it's the most important feature... it comes down to "who hears who first"...

"Dangerous Waters" in difference of it's predecessor "Sub command" has one BIG flaw, the sensors (bow and towed arrays) are limited to exactly 10 NM... maybe 11 NM in clear weather, and their sensitivity is about the same... In "Sub Command" if you cannot hear a contact with bow sensors, but you can hear it with towed array you are pretty safe, and have enough time for tactical maneuvers... but that's another story...
Old 05-15-14, 12:32 PM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
** I've searched through the rules but didn't find anything about this. Please let me know if this is frowned upon here! **...
Making a tutorial is against the rules??? Don't be silly. Thumbs up to you.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 07:19 AM   #8
scott613
Mate

Downloads: 37

Hey - nice tutorial... ET1/SS - Battle Stations "Geo Plot" 85-91...

Regards,
Scott
USS Flasher (SSN-613)
1985-1991
scott613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-14, 11:22 AM   #9
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banryu79 View Post
I watched the "Cumulative" ones yesterday evening: pretty high quality tutorials, you are very good at it, imo.
DW wannabes are lucky you are feeling so passionate about the game; your videos deserves better visibility, imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
I entirely agree that those "cumulative" tutorials are done with great skill and good narrative. Thank you and keep them coming. It shows true aspect and character of submarine warfare in DW as being underwater chess game.
Perhaps for the complete beginners it maybe little overpowering, but for someone with knowledge of basics it is interesting to see what is the complex sequence of identifying, eliminating collateral traffic and tracking and killing right targets.
Looking forward to see similar tutorials for other platforms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott613 View Post
Hey - nice tutorial... ET1/SS - Battle Stations "Geo Plot" 85-91...

Regards,
Scott
Thanks so much, everyone!

My videos:
Old 06-15-14, 06:54 PM   #10
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137

What I like about these vids is that every time I watch them, something clicks that I'd missed before. Also I like the informal commentary style. Don't take this the wrong way - You obviously know what you're doing, but sometimes you sound like an absent minded professor - e.g.

"Ok - so this contact here is an Akula and he's really moving - and then we have a cruise ship and a freighter and wow! the sea state is really ridiculous - Ok - anyway so let's look at how fast the freighter's moving - Oh my gosh it's really close - and is that another hostile submarine? - Anyway, this is how we use the DEMON....."

I have visions of a first officer in the control room trying to catch your attention - "Er.. Sir? If we could just get back to the Akula? You know, the big deadly thing that's looking for us too?..."

First rate work anyway - Thanks for taking the time
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-14, 07:13 PM   #11
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_vino_vomitus View Post
What I like about these vids is that every time I watch them, something clicks that I'd missed before. Also I like the informal commentary style. Don't take this the wrong way - You obviously know what you're doing, but sometimes you sound like an absent minded professor - e.g.

"Ok - so this contact here is an Akula and he's really moving - and then we have a cruise ship and a freighter and wow! the sea state is really ridiculous - Ok - anyway so let's look at how fast the freighter's moving - Oh my gosh it's really close - and is that another hostile submarine? - Anyway, this is how we use the DEMON....."

I have visions of a first officer in the control room trying to catch your attention - "Er.. Sir? If we could just get back to the Akula? You know, the big deadly thing that's looking for us too?..."

First rate work anyway - Thanks for taking the time
Haha, yeah definitely. That's something that just comes with knowing a lot, so I'll try my best to keep that from happening. I gotta remember I can edit out dead space in post so I should just take a breath at a situation like that and figure out how I want to present my thoughts.

My videos:
Old 06-16-14, 12:24 AM   #12
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Haha, yeah definitely. That's something that just comes with knowing a lot, so I'll try my best to keep that from happening. I gotta remember I can edit out dead space in post so I should just take a breath at a situation like that and figure out how I want to present my thoughts.
No - please don't. In case it didn't come across, I like the "stream of consciousness" style that you have - Especially since I tend to get target fixated and miss stuff, so it's a good reminder to stay aware of the complete picture - but mostly it's fun to listen to - I have to say though, if you feel like doing requests I'd dearly love some guidance on sorting out contact ambiguities on the FFG's Towed array....
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dangerous waters tutorial, how to, target motion analysis, tma