SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-27-07, 06:02 AM   #1
Delareon
Planesman

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
Default Sub Tactics and strategy

Hey guys,

im searching for an good book that provides Sub tactics and/or general naval strategys and or tactics. Do you know a good book? Maybe a german book?
English would be ok but german would be better
Delareon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 10:18 AM   #2
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

The lack of response does not mean a lack of interest. It's just that there's very little out there on submarine tactics. Probably the best book on modern naval tactics in general is Wayne Hughes's Fleet Tactics and Coastal Combat.

Milan Vego wrote a book on Soviet Naval Tactics, it has a chapter or two on submarine operations. That might help. Also check the 'downloads' section on my site. There are some nice writeups and tutorials there that, although focusing on sub simulations, do have some basis in reality.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-07, 03:08 AM   #3
Delareon
Planesman

Thanks Bill, i will take a look at Wayne Hughes's Fleet Tactics and Coastal Combat.

Of course i know your side, a very helpfull source and i think i allready have all the tutorials and dokuments there.
Old 12-03-07, 11:51 AM   #4
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Any specific era?

Here are lots of good (And free) readings about WW2, all official manuals :

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/index.htm
Old 12-05-07, 03:22 AM   #5
Delareon
Planesman

Thanks Hitman but the modern warfare is more interesting for me.

I know for the WWII era you can get tons of information, but im more interested in
the modern sub tactics and strategys.

Some type of Sonar description would be also interesting.
But i dont know if that is the right type of book for me.
I have readen a book about Submarine construction and it was too much theory for me.
Old 01-12-08, 03:25 PM   #6
Ironclad2
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Ran into a similar problem when I was researching a paper on mine warfare in the Strait of Hormuz (Best. College Class. Ever.). Most navies don't like to give up their tactics, for obvious reasons. In fact, I probably have a record in some government computer somewhere for overtly asking a few PR officers for information...

The best course of action I found was to look at historical accounts of operations. These can be from actual conflicts, or exercises. If the book is more general in nature, look at the bibliography: where did the author get his information? If one of the sources on that list looks interesting, check it out, then look at *its* bibliography. The further down in this chain you go, the more detailed the information will probably be. It goes without saying, it helps if there's a decent-sized research library around you, though with enough asking and smiling at librarians, you can usually find what you're looking for or have it ordered.

Sorry I can't provide any specific titles, I haven't done sub research in a good while. Still, there are some modern conflicts which could provide insight, specifically the Falklands and both Iraq wars. Each conflict involved subs, for different purposes. I know for a fact there's a personal account of the Falklands campaign by the commander of the British forces which does go into some detail regarding subamrine operations. If you're looking for blue-water tactics, accounts from the Cold war will probably be your best bet, or if you can find them, results from fleet exercises from the recent past.
Ironclad2 is offline   Reply With Quote