Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-20-23, 04:04 AM   #1
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Default The Pettiness of the EU knows no boundaries

Argentina has claimed a diplomatic “triumph” after the EU agreed to refer to the Falklands as the Malvinas in an official document.

The move was signed off by European Union leaders when they met with the Celac group of Latin American and Caribbean leaders in Brussels.

James Cleverly, the Foreign Secretary, had asked Brussels to reject any mention of the Falkland Islands in the declaration ahead of the summit.

But EU officials said Britain would not be allowed any say in the matter, since it is no longer a member of the bloc.

The agreed declaration read: “Regarding the question of sovereignty over the Islas Malvinas/Falkland Islands, the European Union took note of Celac’s historical position based on the importance of dialogue and respect for international law in the peaceful solution of disputes.”

James Sunderland, a Tory MP who served in the Falklands, said: “This is outrageous. The UK has exercised de facto sovereignty over the Falkland Islands since 1833 and went to their defence in 1982.

“The good people of the Falklands have also overwhelmingly voted to remain British. The EU would be wise to respect British sovereignty, rather than waste its time with tokenism.”

The statement was endorsed by all 27 EU member states and 32 of the 33 Celac countries, with Nicaragua refusing to back it because of the language on the war in Ukraine.

Argentina said it was the first time Brussels had officially recognised Latin America’s claim over the Falkland Islands in a joint declaration.

Santiago Cafiero, Argentina’s foreign minister, said Buenos Aires expected to “deepen dialogue with the European Union in relation to the question of the Malvinas Islands” following the pronouncement.

“This joint declaration represents a new call from the international community to the United Kingdom to agree to comply with its obligation to resume sovereignty negotiations with Argentina,” he said.

But a figure close to Mr Cleverly said: “The Argentine government can lobby whoever they wish but it doesn’t change the fact that the Falkland Islands are British.

“That is the clear will of the Falkland Islanders. Ten years ago, 99.8 per cent of Falkland Islanders who voted said they wanted to stay a part of the UK family.

British officials are relaxed over the statement because it does not oblige or promise any change in policy from Brussels over the Falklands.

A spokesman for the European External Action Service, the EU’s foreign affairs arm, said the bloc endorsed the statement in a “spirit” that displayed it is “ready to listen to the position of our partners”.

He added: “The EU member states have not changed their views/positions concerning the Falklands/Malvinas Islands.

“The EU is not in a situation to express any position on the Falklands/Islas Malvinas, as there is not any Council discussion on this matter.

“The EU does not take any position on such matters without a Council mandate.”

Shailesh Vara, a former Cabinet minister who sits on the Falklands Islands All-Party Parliamentary Group, said: “The EU doesn’t speak for the UK on these matters and nothing changes the fact that the Falkland Islands remain British, which is what 99.8 per cent of the Falkland Islanders want.”

Known as the Malvinas in Spanish, the UK-ruled islands were the subject of a short but brutal war after Argentina invaded in 1982

Britain and Argentina last year marked the 40th anniversary of the conflict, which claimed the lives of 649 Argentinian soldiers, 255 British servicemen, and three women who lived on the island.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...29f6bc2da&ei=8

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-23, 08:57 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Further to the above.

Quote:
'Regrettable choice of words': EU backs down after calling Falklands by Argentine name - PM

Mr Sunak's spokesman said the EU had now "clarified that their position on the Falklands has not changed".

"To be clear, the Falkland Islands are British, that was the choice of the islanders themselves," they said.

"The EU has rightly now clarified that their position on the Falklands has not changed after their regrettable choice of words.

"And just as a reminder, in the 2013 referendum, 99.8% of islanders voted to be part of the UK family. It's a position supported by international law and the UN Charter which is binding on all UN members.

"And we will continue to defend the Falklands' right to self-determination in all international forums and have called on the EU to respect the democratic rights of the Falkland Islands."

He added: "The concern is any suggestion that EU states would recognise Argentina's claims on the Falklands, which they have now clarified is incorrect."

In a statement following the row, the EU foreign policy service clarified the bloc's position, telling several newspapers: "The EU member states have not changed their views and positions concerning the Falklands/Islas Malvinas.

"The EU is not in a situation to express any position on the Falklands/Islas Malvinas, as there is not any council discussion on this matter."
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...ff63960c&ei=11

Old 07-20-23, 11:00 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
...three women who lived on the island.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...29f6bc2da&ei=8
...Susan Whitley, 30; Doreen Bonner, 36; and Mary Goodwin, 81.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-23, 11:01 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Dont trust that they mean what they said. And said afterwards. And will say. Opportunism rules. And btw, Britannia still must be punished anyway - "postponed" is not "cancelled".
Old 07-20-23, 12:02 PM   #5
Exocet25fr
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 254

Foradori-Duncan treaty....

https://buenosairesherald.com/politi...-shameful-pact
Old 07-20-23, 12:32 PM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Dont trust that they mean what they said. And said afterwards. And will say. Opportunism rules. And btw, Britannia still must be punished anyway - "postponed" is not "cancelled".
I don't foresee any problems tbh, the Islanders themselves have the final say so should the Argentinians fancy their chances again there is a permanent garrison on site.

I lost two colleagues in 82 and prior to the conflict I worked on the Sir Galahad so if my attitude is anything other than consistent with others I know I can't see any white flag being shown at the sounds of the first shots fired which is more than could be said for one or two of our 'European cousins'

Old 07-21-23, 09:14 AM   #7
Exocet25fr
Grey Wolf

“The good people of the Dombass and Cremea have also overwhelmingly voted to remain Russian. The UK would be wise to respect Russian sovereignty, rather than waste its time with tokenism.”
Old 07-21-23, 09:20 AM   #8
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ "Dombass"?

Almost 80 percent were for being and remaining Ukraine in the mainland, on the Crimea some 52 percent voted for being Ukraine, they were not prepared to resist the russian invasion in 2014, mostly because it came out of the blue. Whatever, even there there was no majority FOR Russia.
In the Donbass there were around 70 percent for remaining in Ukraine despite all the russian agents provocateurs and cheap propaganda trying to bend the general opinion.

France and its fascist MarieLePen followers would be wise to respect Ukrainian sovereignty, rather than support an illegal act of aggression by some dictatorship.
Of course, what to expect else of right wingers and dictator lovers .. as they say "Birds of a feather flock together".

I see what you are doing, but you have never lied that blatantly before

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 07-21-23 at 09:29 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-23, 09:48 AM   #9
Exocet25fr
Grey Wolf

he! he!
Old 07-21-23, 10:06 AM   #10
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Ah yes, fake news is being peddled everywhere these days, I'm just surprised that Putin hasn't produced a document from the Crimean citizens asking for him to invade the rest of the country as well. Maybe a Russian sympathiser can find a copy of it in their back pocket and give the rest of us a jolly good laugh too.
Old 07-21-23, 11:11 AM   #11
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet25fr View Post
“The good people of the Dombass and Cremea have also overwhelmingly voted to remain Russian. The UK would be wise to respect Russian sovereignty, rather than waste its time with tokenism.”
One should check the facts before posting. That way there is usually less chance of making oneself look foolish.

Old 07-21-23, 11:12 AM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ "Dombass"?

Almost 80 percent were for being and remaining Ukraine in the mainland, on the Crimea some 52 percent voted for being Ukraine, they were not prepared to resist the russian invasion in 2014, mostly because it came out of the blue. Whatever, even there there was no majority FOR Russia.
In the Donbass there were around 70 percent for remaining in Ukraine despite all the russian agents provocateurs and cheap propaganda trying to bend the general opinion.

France and its fascist MarieLePen followers would be wise to respect Ukrainian sovereignty, rather than support an illegal act of aggression by some dictatorship.
Of course, what to expect else of right wingers and dictator lovers .. as they say "Birds of a feather flock together".

I see what you are doing, but you have never lied that blatantly before
Well said that man

Old 07-21-23, 11:34 AM   #13
Exocet25fr
Grey Wolf

I'm right!, the fact is you don't accept that....ne vous en déplaise!, anyway.....
Old 07-21-23, 11:43 AM   #14
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

(An off topic comment to the discussion about Ukraine)
As Jim said to me some days ago.

People are very biased in their view and standpoint.

I try not to convince others to change their standpoint.

Lets go back and discuss the Falkland island issue-We have a Ukraine thread to be used to discuss Ukraine and it's early referendum.

(End of an off topic....)

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-23, 11:48 AM   #15
Exocet25fr
Grey Wolf

END for me!