SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-14, 07:32 AM   #1
Köhvwezd
Swabbie

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0
Default SH3 Steam version?

So I'm probably going to buy Silent Hunter 3 today or tomorrow, or whenever I get an answer ^^. However, I have a question about the Steam version of the game, since I cannot find a DVD copy anywhere, nor do I want to have a DVD copy of a game ever again. So.

Are there any problems with the Steam version? As in, any oddities like missing features or mod support, or whatever Steam could do to the game in that regard. Someone in the Steam reviews said the Steam version had worse graphics, but I find that very hard to believe. Running Win 8.1 if it helps.
Köhvwezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-14, 08:53 AM   #2
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Köhvwezd View Post
So I'm probably going to buy Silent Hunter 3 today or tomorrow, or whenever I get an answer ^^. However, I have a question about the Steam version of the game, since I cannot find a DVD copy anywhere, nor do I want to have a DVD copy of a game ever again. So.

Are there any problems with the Steam version? As in, any oddities like missing features or mod support, or whatever Steam could do to the game in that regard. Someone in the Steam reviews said the Steam version had worse graphics, but I find that very hard to believe. Running Win 8.1 if it helps.
The Steam version comes equipped with Steam's own DRM, which works great for Steam, but not so great for the game's owner - you. Check the forums and you will see that the majority of modding problems posted begin with the words "I have the Steam version...." All the problems reported can be worked around, but modding the publisher's version is easier. Buy the download from Amazon, or any vanilla game vendor amd you will have a version that works without special handling.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-14, 09:54 AM   #3
Köhvwezd
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
The Steam version comes equipped with Steam's own DRM, which works great for Steam, but not so great for the game's owner - you. Check the forums and you will see that the majority of modding problems posted begin with the words "I have the Steam version...." All the problems reported can be worked around, but modding the publisher's version is easier. Buy the download from Amazon, or any vanilla game vendor amd you will have a version that works without special handling.
Ech, I've dealth with Steam's DRM before. Don't like giving Ubisoft money due to their recent PC ports, so I'll just give a bunch of it to Gabe
Old 12-12-14, 12:34 PM   #4
FireDevlin
Nub

Downloads: 7

I play a lot of games through Steam, I finally gave up and signed up when Paradox Games left Gamersgate and went all in on Steam. I love those games, and now that I am all in on Steam I have had no issues with it and dig the platform for many reasons.

However, while I own the Silent Hunter games on Steam, I also bought them on Gamersgate sue to it being much easier to mod them. If you haven't done it yet, I would keep your SH games out of Steam due to the needed heavy modding.
Old 12-12-14, 02:45 PM   #5
Köhvwezd
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG View Post
Get rid of steam.
Now that's not gonna happen

However, good news is, my friend has a copy of SH3 he can give me