SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-15-14, 10:12 AM   #16
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Every day people make purchases that I don't understand. People buy Starbucks coffee. People buy cigarettes. People pay for Netflix. People visit hookers.

Although I don't understand or agree with these decisions, if these consumers are happy then more power to them.

I feel the same way about Steam. I've never bought anything from it. Yes, I've heard that Steam implementations can be problematic. Yet people buy from it all the time. If they find value in Steam, then more power to them.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14, 10:51 AM   #17
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
If they find value in Steam, then more power to them.
My point exactly: Tell me about that value.

People buy Starbucks because they like the coffee (really?) or the milieu. People smoke cigarettes because they got addicted to nicotine years ago and haven't been able to quit. People pay for Netflix because they value the convenience. People go to...well, they know the product they are getting before they buy it.

None of these has an alternative which is equally available, competitively priced, and useable with less hassle. (Please, let's not get into a discussion about alternatives to your last example!) Steam does. So I think it is fair to ask: Where is the added value for the guy paying for that product? So far, I haven't seen a post that even attempts to answer that question.

Last edited by BigWalleye; 11-15-14 at 11:04 AM.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 04:48 PM   #18
Jave
Nub

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
Every day people make purchases that I don't understand. People buy Starbucks coffee. People buy cigarettes. People pay for Netflix. People visit hookers.

Although I don't understand or agree with these decisions, if these consumers are happy then more power to them.

I feel the same way about Steam. I've never bought anything from it. Yes, I've heard that Steam implementations can be problematic. Yet people buy from it all the time. If they find value in Steam, then more power to them.
I initially thought Steam was a dumb idea, however after using it for the last couple years I fell in love with it. Let me explain........

I like to design and build my own computers. All the bells and whistles, water cooling, overclocking, fancy lighting, and of course being a powergamer, massive amounts of ram, giant hard drives, and powerful video cards. Because I'm anal, I also wipe my hard drives periodically so the system is always running at peak performance.
The downside to this is, wiping your hard drive also means starting over collecting all the programs that were installed, Microsoft word, Excel, dozens of drivers, Photoshop, and of course, dozens of games.

The true power of Steam is never again losing that disk, having it scratched, broken or worse, having to pay for it again. Download Steam, log in, and WALA, all your games are sitting there ready to be downloaded again free of charge.
The other advantage of Steam is having such a deep library of games to choose from. Once you load in your credit card the first time, find a game, and in 10 seconds its downloading to your harddrive. Its like having cloud backup storage for all your games in one easy to access spot that is always ready to go.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Jave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 06:28 PM   #19
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jave View Post
IWALA
Just curious. What does WALA mean?

Or did you mean 'voila'?