SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-10-14, 03:29 PM   #1
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Downloads: 155
Uploads: 0
Default Question Regarding H.sie Patcher

Hey Guys,

Just installed Hsie's patcher and all is working ok, however i am slightly confused with regard to this part of the read me and would just like a little clarification if possible please?

On the read me it says....

3.1) Adding the new messages
The new messages, which are required for some of the fixes, can be found in two files named
_Append_to_en_menu.txt (english language) and _Append_to_de_menu.txt (german). As
the filename suggests, the messages contained in these files must be appended to your
individual en_menu.txt and de_menu.txt file of your sh3-installation. Instead of directly
editing the files of your sh3-installation, I recommend the following procedure:
a. Activate ALL your desired JSGME-Mods in the correct order.
b. Copy both en_menu.txt and de_menu.txt of your sh3-installation into the (empty)
\Data\Menu - folder of the Supplement-Mod.
c. Append the new messages to the en_menu.txt / de_menu.txt files of your Supplement
Mod.

It's part C that im confused about.

So do i just copy the lines to the end of my en_menu.txt? or do i have to add them to certain parts of that file?

I know this might seem like a silly question to some and i apologize if it is but the reason i ask is because i have noticed that the text lines have numbers at the start and i was unsure if i have to add the lines in the right numerical order?

Thanks guys
Delta Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-14, 04:06 PM   #2
areo16
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 64

I would put the text lines in the en_menu.txt file in numerical order. You will see that everything is numerical. Be sure its in order.
areo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-14, 04:35 PM   #3
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by areo16 View Post
I would put the text lines in the en_menu.txt file in numerical order. You will see that everything is numerical. Be sure its in order.
Thanks Areo16, i will do that now
Old 01-10-14, 05:31 PM   #4
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Well it did not work, still getting empty messages in the message console

I get this waning when i go to install the supplement mod in JSGME

"de_menu.txt" has already been altered by the "OLC 'Gold' MkII ~ Option 3 ~ Environment with EDE and GUI" mod.
"de_menu.txt" has already been altered by the "ACM Reloaded for OLC 'Gold' MkII" mod.
"en_menu.txt" has already been altered by the "Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.2cg" mod.
"en_menu.txt" has already been altered by the "OLC 'Gold' MkII ~ Option 3 ~ Environment with EDE and GUI" mod.
"en_menu.txt" has already been altered by the "ACM Reloaded for OLC 'Gold' MkII" mod.

I wonder if i should take a copy of the the last file (ACM Reloaded) en_menu.txt's file and put it in the into the empty
\Data\Menu - folder of the Supplement-Mod. seen as that is the last file to be overwritten?

At the moment i am taking a copy from :silenthunter3/data/menu and putting it in the empty into the empty
\Data\Menu - folder of the Supplement-Mod.

Then adding the extra lines to that

any help or advice would be great... thanks all

Last edited by Delta Wolf; 01-10-14 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-10-14, 06:02 PM   #5
radcapricorn
Helmsman

Downloads: 181

Yes, normally that's exactly what you should do. Your silenthunter3/data/menu/*.txt files are the ones from the last mod that modifies them. So you should take that and add h.sie's additional strings to it.

But... Think of it like that: every mod you install replaces the files it warns you about. So whatever ends up in your data folders is the most "current" state. Granted, it can be sometimes incorrect i.e. if one mod replaces a file that another one depends on, but in this case it shouldn't really matter. I mean, as long as h.sie's additional strings are there, you should see them. If you don't, then you've either not installed something or the patcher didn't work.
radcapricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-14, 06:29 PM   #6
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Ok..

Seems to work if i dont load the game via SH3 Commander??
Maybe i need to remove all mods roll back and install mods again.

I'll report back...

@radcapricorn Thanks for your help on the ACM Reloaded scope filters....
Worked a treat
Old 01-10-14, 06:39 PM   #7
radcapricorn
Helmsman

You're welcome

Hmm... If the problem only appears when using SH3Commander... Maybe you have some mod for SH3Commander itself that replaces those files every time you run the game?
Old 01-10-14, 08:51 PM   #8
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Hi Guys,

Got it to work by rolling back Commander then removing all mods, then then adding all mods again.......

Guess i must have missed a rollback somewhere between mods
Old 01-10-14, 09:37 PM   #9
radcapricorn
Helmsman

Use the auto rollback feature, it's invaluable

Glad you've sorted it out. Happy hunting
Old 01-11-14, 07:54 AM   #10
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Auto Rollback works great - except, what happens if you experience a CTD? CTD does not exit via Commander. Are you now rolled back, or not? Does Commander know how to cope with this situation? If you restart Commander, it recognizes that Auto Rollback is enabled, and does not give you the option to manually roll back. If you then restart SH3 from Commander, it overwrites a new copy of the Commander changes, and saves the "old" files - which already contained the Commander changes. Then, when you exit Commander after this session, it "rolls back" - to the changed files.

So Auto Rollback is a fine idea, as long as you never experience an in-game CTD. A while back, I got myself wrapped around the axle this way. Had to do a complete reinstall. (I know, I know! I should have saved a snapshot! Din't.) Now I use Manual Rollback and always roll back before exiting Commander. If anyone knows a way to avoid this, I'd love to hear about it.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-14, 08:09 AM   #11
Delta Wolf
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Auto Rollback works great - except, what happens if you experience a CTD? CTD does not exit via Commander. Are you now rolled back, or not? Does Commander know how to cope with this situation? If you restart Commander, it recognizes that Auto Rollback is enabled, and does not give you the option to manually roll back. If you then restart SH3 from Commander, it overwrites a new copy of the Commander changes, and saves the "old" files - which already contained the Commander changes. Then, when you exit Commander after this session, it "rolls back" - to the changed files.

So Auto Rollback is a fine idea, as long as you never experience an in-game CTD. A while back, I got myself wrapped around the axle this way. Had to do a complete reinstall. (I know, I know! I should have saved a snapshot! Din't.) Now I use Manual Rollback and always roll back before exiting Commander. If anyone knows a way to avoid this, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for the info Bigwalleye, ill keep that in mind
Old 01-11-14, 08:24 AM   #12
radcapricorn
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Auto Rollback works great - except, what happens if you experience a CTD? CTD does not exit via Commander.
Are you absolutely sure that is the case? I never experienced problems with rollbacks after a CTD. And I wouldn't expect it since (from a programmer's point of view), Commander should wait for sh3 process to exit and perform a rollback no matter how that exit occured. Now in exceptional cases (like complete computer freezes, power outages, etc.) this wouldn't happen, and I am not sure if Commander accounts for that.
Old 01-11-14, 10:22 AM   #13
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by radcapricorn View Post
Are you absolutely sure that is the case? I never experienced problems with rollbacks after a CTD. And I wouldn't expect it since (from a programmer's point of view), Commander should wait for sh3 process to exit and perform a rollback no matter how that exit occured. Now in exceptional cases (like complete computer freezes, power outages, etc.) this wouldn't happen, and I am not sure if Commander accounts for that.
No, I am not absolutely sure. But I'm not sure what Win7 does when a program has a pathological termination. I do know this: With Manual Rollback selected, I start SH3 from Commander. If SH3 terminates normally, Commander is restarted, displays updated patrol information, and gives me the option to do a Manual Rollback. But if SH3 terminates via a CTD, Commander is NOT restarted. I go straight back to the desktop. (CTD) I can manually relaunch Commander, and it shows no update to patrol data (expected, of course) and Commander gives me the option to manually roll back. That is, Commander knows that it has altered files and written those altered files to the active game folder, and that it has not replaced those altered files with the originals which it saved.

If a CTD with Manual Rollback selected caused Commander to resume, with the option to roll back available, I would believe you were probably correct. But that is not what happens. While I am not sure that Auto Rollback does not work after a CTD, I prefer to err on the side of caution and only use Manual Rollback. This became an issue at a time when I was having a lot of CTDs and trying to troubleshoot the problem. The CTDs are gone, but I still use Manual Rollback. Of course, I could do an examination of the files that Commander alters and see if they were restored after a CTD. But honestly, I just haven't bothered.
Old 01-11-14, 10:36 AM   #14
radcapricorn
Helmsman

Hmm. Well, I guess to be absolutely sure we'd have to ask JScones
Old 01-11-14, 11:00 AM   #15
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by radcapricorn View Post
Hmm. Well, I guess to be absolutely sure we'd have to ask JScones
Actually, there is another way, as I mentioned above, and it is more reliable than asking the programmer to remember what he did 4 years ago. (I know from experience how reliable that is!)

We know (can look in the Commander files and see) what changes Commander makes to text files before overwriting them. Start Commander. Start SH3. Pause SH3. Go to the altered files and look at them, to verify that the files have been altered. Unpause SH3. Now force a CTD. (Your choice of methods....) Now check the altered files to see if they have been restored. You will know unequivocally whether they are or not. Neither documentation nor programmer memory is ever a guarantee of what a program is actually doing. The only sure way to know what a program is doing is to see what it does.

Personally, I have had my share of CTDs. I don't want to create one intentionally, even to further human knowledge. YMMV.