Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-17, 06:03 PM   #946
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un vowed to develop more nuclear weapons on Tuesday while personally decorating scientists and officials who contributed to the development of Pyongyang's most advanced intercontinental ballistic missile, the Hwasong-15.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-kor...005934324.html

Another dangerous step towards...

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 09:01 AM   #947
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Has North Korean leader Kim Jong-un executed one of his top aides?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-kor...032424844.html

A history of executions - family, allies and rivals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...rowing-unrest/

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 07:22 PM   #948
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Bet Omorosa is glad she got off easy...

<O>
Old 12-18-17, 10:55 PM   #949
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I read that N. Korea was deemed responsible for the "WannaCry" virus of last June-ish.

It was Ransomware that for those that paid the ransom, their files were never unlocked.

Made me wonder what the response to that would be. A $2B (estimated) terror attack does deserve something. Cyber-Warfare, Electronic Warfare are the new ways.

I hope the good guys catch-up.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-17, 12:22 AM   #950
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

I am not sure if robberies should be called terror attacks.
Old 12-19-17, 04:16 AM   #951
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote from a US citizen in the Aerodrome forum:

"Unlike the US, North Korea and Kim Jong-un are currently bombing no one, surrounding no nation with their military bases, invading and occupying no other countries and have never nuked anyone.

“The Libyan crisis is teaching the international community a grave lesson,” which was that Libya’s decision to abandon its weapons programs in 2003, had been “an invasion tactic to disarm the country” according to North Korea’s Foreign Ministry.
Ghaddafi accepted Bush's deal to give up their nuclear program and a few years later he was dead after a US-backed coup in Libya. Why would North Korea be so stupid as to do the same thing?

If you are the leader of a small oil or mineral bearing nation and you have NOT yet started your own nuclear program, you are an incompetent idiot failing to serve your people and protect them from US aggression."

Also: https://www.thedailybeast.com/americ...s-helping-nato

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 12-19-17 at 06:15 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-17, 07:56 AM   #952
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
I am not sure if robberies should be called terror attacks.
Agreed. In my opinion ransomware attack would only count as terrorism if target was hospital or similar institution AND information or system affected was vital for health or safety.
Old 12-19-17, 06:18 PM   #953
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Having a hard time disagreeing with this.

A bit harsh, but pretty accurate. I am sure that a lot of nations watched what happened in Libya.

This is why it will be very hard to convince KJU that possessing nuclear weapons is not in his best interest, when it is pretty clear that it IS in his best interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Quote from a US citizen in the Aerodrome forum:

"Unlike the US, North Korea and Kim Jong-un are currently bombing no one, surrounding no nation with their military bases, invading and occupying no other countries and have never nuked anyone.

“The Libyan crisis is teaching the international community a grave lesson,” which was that Libya’s decision to abandon its weapons programs in 2003, had been “an invasion tactic to disarm the country” according to North Korea’s Foreign Ministry.
Ghaddafi accepted Bush's deal to give up their nuclear program and a few years later he was dead after a US-backed coup in Libya. Why would North Korea be so stupid as to do the same thing?

If you are the leader of a small oil or mineral bearing nation and you have NOT yet started your own nuclear program, you are an incompetent idiot failing to serve your people and protect them from US aggression."

Also: https://www.thedailybeast.com/americ...s-helping-nato

Old 12-19-17, 07:21 PM   #954
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Oh cry me a river. To think they are some poor innocent misunderstood nation just looking out for the welfare of their citizens and defending their peace loving ways is absolute crap. If you want and build nuclear weapons in thus day and age then on top of that make blatent threats of using them. You had better be prepared to have your chain jerked real hard.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-17, 06:14 AM   #955
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

This is one worrying possibility.

Quote:
Is Russia and China teaming up to prevent Trump invasion?
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...n-Russia-China

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-17, 07:42 AM   #956
Delgard
Skipper

It was mentioned that there was correlation between Libya and NK and I thought that the two had un-equal patrons. Libya also had a location much closer to NATO that made it easy for many countries to quickly support the problem.

NK is much different in that China and Russia have multiple reasons to work against the U.S. from further getting involved in their stated area of influence. It would be very easy for those two countries to simply cross their border, and they probably will, and confront what United Nations forces gathered to change the government or the practices of NK.

It was also mentioned that NK conducts no terrorism or conventional attacks. They simply conduct it in a different way. In the "WannaCry" cyber attack, hospitals, infrastructure, banking, and schools, to name just a few were all directly effected by the attack. This may not have had a significant affect on U.S.-protected facilities but it did do significant damage that helped to focus U.S. policies on better defense against cyber terrorism. Damage estimates exceeded $2b and, also, showed where weaknesses were for further attacks if needed.

North Korea has also demonstrated use of chemical/biological weapons. This may not appear as surrounding and bombing a foreign country, but they are demonstrating that they will conduct such attacks.

There will always be a need for occupation (boots on the ground) but much of the warfare will not be conducted that way. It will be in Cyberspace or by small cells that long before have infiltrated to "bomb" their targets in the enemy's homeland. Because of easier and continued immigration over time, South Korea, Japan, and the U.S. are all vulnerable to heavy damage.

Anything is vulnerable, if you have the planning and preparation time.
Old 12-20-17, 11:08 AM   #957
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

While anyone can stage a cyber attack and blame it on whoever, afaik the "Wannacry" virus has been linked to China, not North Korea.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-17, 11:46 AM   #958
Delgard
Skipper

North Korea has a university-type "training facility" in China that permits the use of Chinese ISPs.

I also read aways back that NK was wanting to run a cable across the border into Russia to bypass sanctions. I think I saw that via Yonhap.

Anyway, it was put out by the USG yesterday and confirmed by the Brits. I am not sure which country determined it first, though.

I mentioned earlier about warfare moving away from traditional battlefields and this is an example.

Be nice to know the response from Trump, etc.
Old 12-21-17, 03:42 AM   #959
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Yea, we have been working on providing comunications services to DPRK, though those are comercial and legal (not sanctioned) as far as I am aware.

But then the cable was laid back in 2008 or so, so this is nothing new, except for western reporting which for some reason found out about this link only after their nuclear tests.
https://regnum.ru/news/1040647.html
Old 12-21-17, 11:40 AM   #960
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Yea, we have been working on providing comunications services to DPRK, though those are comercial and legal (not sanctioned) as far as I am aware.

But then the cable was laid back in 2008 or so, so this is nothing new, except for western reporting which for some reason found out about this link only after their nuclear tests.
https://regnum.ru/news/1040647.html
Your smarter than you look, uh?

What are you ... the Russian legal department?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
korea, north korea