SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-15, 02:30 AM   #1
SeaviewSkipper
Loader

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default CAN'T SEEM TO COMPLETE "PATROL IN BISMARCK SEA" OBJECTIVE

Hi everyone. I'm frustrated. My original patrol objective was to photograph a carrier task force outside Rabaul harbor. I did that and then decided to sink the two carriers I found, since they were at anchor. I sank them, snuck out of the area, and sent a status report back to base-Brisbane, Australia. I was given a new objective, which was to patrol in the Bismarck Sea. So, I went there, patrolled around and sank some ships. Objective wasn't completed. I continued to patrol around the objective "star" and sank more ships. The objective still wasn't completed. I was running out of fuel, so I went to Mine Bay for a refit, then headed back to the Bismarck Sea. I patrolled and sank more ships. I ran out of torpedoes and went back to Mine Bay for another refit. Then back to the Bismarck Sea. I sank more ships and used up all of my torpedoes again. I patrolled for a few days around the objective area. The mission objective STILL is uncompleted. I've now sunk 18 ships and 125,000 tons on this patrol, all but the two carriers and a destroyer in the Bismarck Sea.
I'm out of torpedoes again and don't know what to do. I don't know what the game wants from me. I would appreciate any help. Thanks. Jeff
SeaviewSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 04:22 AM   #2
depthtok33l
Sparky

Downloads: 61

Just ask for a new objective. The game does not really care about completing the objective. It's all about the tonnage and from what you've said (18 ships, 125k tons) you can end your patrol, go claim your medal/awards and some much needed R&R for your crew.

depthtok33l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 12:26 PM   #3
Spraug
Helmsman

Downloads: 35
To achieve the objectives, you have to stay close to the indicated points for a period of time. From your description I guess you are using plain vanilla version (no mods) so the range should be 50nm around the point and I guess you have to stay 24hours in this radius. While I'm not sure about the two figures, the critical point is that the time returns to zero if you leave the area in between, so just stay close to the binoculars sign until you get the message that the objective was fulfilled.

The really interesting part, however, is what depthtok said (typed): You are given objective, but they don't play a role for patrol evaluation. You can be assigned an area around Singapore and still get a Navy Cross/MoH without ever going South of Honshu if you sink a bucket full of ships.

Your 100kt will insure that the brass back home will love you, no matter how many objectives are still open.
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Spraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 03:23 PM   #4
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

There is no penalty for not completing the objective.

Since we do not know your game version nor your mod list it is not possible to answer in a more definitive way.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 01:26 AM   #5
SeaviewSkipper
Loader

I'm playing the stock 1.5 version. It's good to know that there's no penalty for not completing objectives, but I prefer to do so because I would be expected to in "real life" and I feel a sense of responsibility. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-25-15, 01:32 AM   #6
SeaviewSkipper
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraug View Post
To achieve the objectives, you have to stay close to the indicated points for a period of time. From your description I guess you are using plain vanilla version (no mods) so the range should be 50nm around the point and I guess you have to stay 24hours in this radius. While I'm not sure about the two figures, the critical point is that the time returns to zero if you leave the area in between, so just stay close to the binoculars sign until you get the message that the objective was fulfilled.

The really interesting part, however, is what depthtok said (typed): You are given objective, but they don't play a role for patrol evaluation. You can be assigned an area around Singapore and still get a Navy Cross/MoH without ever going South of Honshu if you sink a bucket full of ships.

Your 100kt will insure that the brass back home will love you, no matter how many objectives are still open.
Thanks. I didn't know that fulfilling objectives wasn't very important. As I replied below though, I prefer to because I feel it is more "real" to do so and I get a sense of accomplishment.
The issue with staying close to the objective star is that you usually miss a number of juicy convoys by doing so.
Thanks for the other info too. Jeff
Old 01-25-15, 01:33 AM   #7
SeaviewSkipper
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by depthtok33l View Post
Just ask for a new objective. The game does not really care about completing the objective. It's all about the tonnage and from what you've said (18 ships, 125k tons) you can end your patrol, go claim your medal/awards and some much needed R&R for your crew.

HaHaHaHa. Thanks. Very interesting.
Old 01-25-15, 02:30 AM   #8
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaviewSkipper View Post
As I replied below though, I prefer to because I feel it is more "real" to do so and I get a sense of accomplishment.
I usually do the same.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 11:10 AM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaviewSkipper View Post
I'm playing the stock 1.5 version. It's good to know that there's no penalty for not completing objectives, but I prefer to do so because I would be expected to in "real life" and I feel a sense of responsibility. Thanks for the reply.
Very true, depending on the objective. Drop off or pick up a coastwatcher? Sure. Photograph some out-of-the-way harbor? No problem.

Photograph Tokyo Bay? Realistically you'd be dead before you ever got close. Some of the stock objectives are ridiculous.
Old 01-27-15, 12:46 AM   #10
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Photograph Tokyo Bay? Realistically you'd be dead before you ever got close. Some of the stock objectives are ridiculous.
I agree wholeheartedly. When I say I usually carry out my orders, I emphasize usually. If they are suicidal or just plain idiotic, I will either ignore them, or modify them. If I got a mission to sneak into Tokyo Bay, I would likely just patrol the general area instead. If I get orders to go to a patrol zone that would leave me barely enough fuel to get there before turning around to go home, I would either go to a good spot halfway there, or stay put. You should use common sense with the missions, imo.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 01:24 AM   #11
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Very true, depending on the objective. Drop off or pick up a coastwatcher? Sure. Photograph some out-of-the-way harbor? No problem.

Yea, remember that one early war in Manila to do something, photo recon carriers or such. I got the mission the Japs had Manila as I spawned in at,,,,Manila. Funny, docked and being blasted....Course, bad as stock was I actually dived in about 70 ft of water and lived...

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote