SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-03-15, 05:33 PM   #1
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default Getting excited

Stayed up until near 2AM last night, with the notebook PC in bed with the lights off, wife sleeping next to me so being as quiet as I could, reading up on the many changes to the game and community since I last played GWX Gold several years ago.

Today, my trip out of town for the day was called off, so I have spent hours perusing the forum and links. Though GWX Gold was my favourite mod of all time, I admit to be being highly intrigued by the latest version of Living Silent Hunter 3. My gut is telling me this is the super mod to go with. Just reading through the documents I am seeing things that are putting an extra beat into my heart:

Interrupted surface torpedo reloads make the boat unable to dive. Wow, that is so cool. I used to play by own house rules that I was not allowed to reload in rough weather, and if interrupted, I "cut away" the torpedo and considered it a loss. Now the mod has a routine built in to simulate the process. Very creative!

Another realism feature that appeals is the uncertainty in the range estimations of your crew. I like the imprecision that implies and it say from what I am reading that it will figure into targeting. I am assuming this will make auto-targeting no longer 100%, especially at growing range? If so, hats off, again.

As I type this I am downloading the massive mod, but I am not worried as I have a high speed fiber optic connection. Right now my display shows 62% download with less than 14 minutes to go. How much we have improved since my first internet connection with a 33.6 dialup modem.

I am getting very worked up as I am downloading and reading up on the many changes. To quote Ebenezer Scrooge: "I am as giddy as a schoolchild" with anticipation.

Last edited by K-61; 10-06-15 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Correction of typos
K-61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-15, 05:36 PM   #2
K-61
Grey Wolf

One question I have, regardless of which mod I use: My gaming notebook has 8 GB of RAM. I am aware of the 4GB patch; will that still be the thing to do [I am guessing "yes"] and will it still work on a machine with 8 GB of RAM? Will my system, if not using all 8 of RAM, access and give the game at least 4?
Old 10-03-15, 05:45 PM   #3
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloaded completed, in about 15 minutes. I surely do not miss my old dialup connection.
Old 10-03-15, 07:03 PM   #4
K-61
Grey Wolf

The process has begun. I am now installing a fresh copy of SH3 from my DVD, after which I will install the no-StarForce files, and then installing LSH2015. As I am installing on a widescreen gaming notebook, I see I also have to add the widescreen mod. I've read that for best odds of flawless running to have 2 gigs of VRAM; my system has only 1, but I am willing to try.

By coincidence, as I am typing this AHC has just started to play, "The Hunt for Red October." I hope this is a good omen.
Old 10-06-15, 05:40 AM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi K-61

Good to hear that you are using the documentation as it is so important with this mega mod.

I also suggest that you look at the PDF LSH3MiniManual-2010 that you will find in the Manuals folder.
Although it comes from the earlier game version there is a lot of things in it that are relevant to the 2015 one.

This game has exceeded my expectations, more so now I have a type IXB.
Now in August 1940 all of the French ports are now available as well as Bergen Norway.

I would advise enabling the HSIE mod with any other mods.
I left enabling it later in my games and wished I had done it straight away with the other mods.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-15, 01:09 PM   #6
K-61
Grey Wolf

Thanks, guys. For now I have only the one installation of SH3, with LSH2015 installed. I may later make one or more extra installations for other mods, but for now I will stick with LSH2015 in order to get myself back into the game. If I reinstall GWX Gold I will certainly use the HSIE patch. I loved GWX back in the day; it made the game challenging enough for a veteran player such as I was back then. I was able to survive the dangerous parts of the war a few times, and a few times I was killed. I loved the "pucker factor" that the more challenging AI provided.

I am also using my time late at night when my wife is sleeping [and I should be, too!] to read the documentation.