SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-23-15, 07:54 PM   #151
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Drumming my fingers here. Drum. Drum. Drum. Drum...............
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 10:19 PM   #152
JacqueShredo
Seaman

Downloads: 285
Uploads: 0

Can't wait Capn! I've been a huge fan of your work. The OTC mod really helped me get back into SH4. I love it
Old 08-29-15, 01:24 PM   #153
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
AFAIK the only units in SH4 that can attack with torpedoes (real torpedoes) are the aircraft. They also can go up and down. I suggested some time ago to fake a submarine with an aircraft inverting properties i.e. it would raise to peri depth to shoot the torpedo and then sink again after shooting. IIRC someone gave it a try and said that travelling at sub speed was impossible for an air unit. I don't remember if that was for SH3 and not SH4, though. Maybe doing a quick try with an aircraft replacing the model by the 3d of a sub and tinkering around with the unit properties would point out if this is possible at all?

OTH any AI can shoot guns, and you can fake a torpedo with a gun. Someone even attached a real torpedo with wake and all to an invisible gun shell that travelled very slow, but I am not sure how it all ended.

This is one of those things that could eventually be faked by some alternative & creative thinking, but I'm too much out of the SH4 loop right now to be able to take care of it

UBI already put a japanese AI submarine in the game, but I don't know what AI it uses, was it a fake surface ship, a docked ship or something else?
Excuse my interruption. I don't believe anyone ever corrected this...? But actually AI units can use real torpedoes in SH4. There's no need to use the "invisible shell" workaround. I designed a torpedo-firing German Type VII submarine for a SH4 Atlantic WWII mod (we never released it), and I also equipped the Fletcher and Tribal DD's with torpedoes - the results were fairly good. The only problem is that AI torpedoes gradually sink overtime when fired at long range. You have two choices:

-Increase the torpedo speed to about 120 kts (I found this gives a good ratio of hits and misses at long range, while solving the depth problem)

-Keep the torpedo speed at historical values, but make them usable only at shorter than historical range, so they don't have time to sink (about 500-600 yards or less)

Links to the threads are below:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=154068

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...=207517&page=5

Credit for the original mod goes to DarkFish.

Last edited by iambecomelife; 08-29-15 at 01:29 PM.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 08:36 AM   #154
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife
........actually AI units can use real torpedoes in SH4. There's no need to use the "invisible shell" workaround. I designed a torpedo-firing German Type VII submarine for a SH4 Atlantic WWII mod (we never released it), and I also equipped the Fletcher and Tribal DD's with torpedoes - the results were fairly good. The only problem is that AI torpedoes gradually sink overtime when fired at long range.
Interesting!!

I'll be looking into this. It's my plan to have a campaign mission sending you into the Malacca Strait to look for German subs/shipping going to Penang. It would be good to have the enemy fire at you beyond using its deck gun. Right now, I don't see how an enemy sub can submerge when it's in "detection" mode......but we can't have everything.

Been away for a while......smelling the great outdoors in the Far North, and catching a ton of fish. You Canadians have the best beer.........as this YouTube points out!!

No time table set for a release. We're still getting great ideas.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 01:47 PM   #155
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Iambecomealive, considering the time i spent to make a working ai torpedolauncher with working torpedos and finally having REALLY solved the issue i would really want to take a look into your ai type 7 and your ai destroyers with torpedos
Old 08-30-15, 02:47 PM   #156
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhapprich View Post
Iambecomealive, considering the time i spent to make a working ai torpedolauncher with working torpedos and finally having REALLY solved the issue i would really want to take a look into your ai type 7 and your ai destroyers with torpedos
I deleted them a long time ago. But they were not hard to make - simply the regular Type VII and Destroyers with a node for firing torpedoes placed. Do you have a link to the latest version of your AI torpedo?
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 12:40 AM   #157
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Page 4 of your second link below. Could you brief me how to apply torpedos the way you did?
Old 09-03-15, 10:08 AM   #158
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

I am curious what happens if you equip a ship with an aerial torpedo - these seem to work pretty well in the game
Old 09-04-15, 12:49 AM   #159
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Wont work
The weapon class must be linked to the unit_airplane.
Old 09-07-15, 08:24 AM   #160
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Excuse my interruption. I don't believe anyone ever corrected this...? But actually AI units can use real torpedoes in SH4. There's no need to use the "invisible shell" workaround. I designed a torpedo-firing German Type VII submarine for a SH4 Atlantic WWII mod (we never released it), and I also equipped the Fletcher and Tribal DD's with torpedoes - the results were fairly good. The only problem is that AI torpedoes gradually sink overtime when fired at long range. You have two choices:

-Increase the torpedo speed to about 120 kts (I found this gives a good ratio of hits and misses at long range, while solving the depth problem)

-Keep the torpedo speed at historical values, but make them usable only at shorter than historical range, so they don't have time to sink (about 500-600 yards or less)

Links to the threads are below:
But ... the linked thread says that it is indeed a faked gun shell, not a real torpedo
Old 09-07-15, 02:21 PM   #161
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Halfways true.yes it is a torpedo BUT it is an object thats being spawned by a particle generator linked to the gun shell.thats how i did it.
Old 09-07-15, 02:28 PM   #162
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

And honestly : many modders say they made working ai torpedos
But the only way i know besides my mod is the old launcher of darkfish.and my mod is the only one i know that is an actual threat that works on ai ships and subs.i never got to know any others.but all they say " oh yes i did solve that long ago bla bla bla and oh yes ai homing torpedos i did them too.and when i ask details how they made it work they cant remember and the files got lost on a computer crash.come on people
Old 09-07-15, 07:24 PM   #163
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

jhapprich,

I understand, in general terms at least, how you got surface ships to launch torpedoes, but how were you able to get AI subs to launch them? Surface ships are made to shoot their guns, but how can a submerged submarine be made to 'fire' it's gun/tubes?

Or, must they be surfaced to launch?

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 03:48 AM   #164
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

no the submarines hull is attached to a ship node. so the subs body is submerged and can be damaged, it can sink etc. but the gun and the sensors of the sub are above water level. i solved the issue with the whole AI_unit-Node submerged and the "ship" does not sink, but i have to check the ai alfa in the AI-Torpedos mod (test mission) first, i dont remember all of it right now. but you can download the mod, it is in one of the post in iabalive`s thread in here earlier and check out for yourself. the thing is thet the unittype_submarine/AI-submarine is in the game, but it wont attack. one has to add a parent node in the *.sim that makes the sub behave like a torpedo boat/destroyer/cruiser etc. i prefer torpedo boat, for it attacks but it wont probably try to sink you by ramming ;-). i will give a try the "airplane" method as described earlier, maybe i can make the sub rise and submerge that way. but a great thing would be ai homing torpedos. in my mod, you can add any torpedo you like, but when you use homing torpedos, they WILL head towards the direction of the sound source, but as they are linked to the firing direction of the launcher "gun" they will move at the inital speed and in the initial direction ( so an acoustic torpedo may actually look like running backwards when it has passed and missed the target. another thing i can do is adding an animation of a sub surfacing, running surfaced, diving, running submerged, raisung its extensibles so one can actually see it etc. but this is a strict animation sequence, it can nit be set randomly. and besides, on can`t detect target depht ingame, right? so what sense would it be to have an opponent ai sub cruising deeper than you can set your torpedos to run. no fun either.
to sum my blabla up, yes i can make ai submarines with torpedos that can actually sink something. but do not expect miracles. the alfa i described on top is a good template.

Last edited by jhapprich; 09-08-15 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-08-15, 03:37 PM   #165
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
i will give a try the "airplane" method as described earlier, maybe i can make the sub rise and submerge that way.
If you link a sub hull to an invisible airplane but of course having the sub at sea level it should be able to move up and down on the water. Main problems are the inverted movement (Plane dives to attack and raises after and before the attack, the opposite of what the sub does) and that IIRC the planes have a minimum speed and below that they fall. But GWX did Gimps for SH3 that travel at slow speed, so there must be something around that solves the issue

Quote:
another thing i can do is adding an animation of a sub surfacing, running surfaced, diving, running submerged, raisung its extensibles so one can actually see it etc. but this is a strict animation sequence, it can nit be set randomly.
Well if you could create an invisible torpedo boat that spawns the animation of a sub going to peri depth and raising the scope then shooting a torpedo at you and dissapearing, that would already be something great. You would be able to simulate being detected by a submerged sub that stalks and shoots at you.

Anyway ... sorry for hijacking your thread Scurvy, maybe a moderator could split it?