SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-03-10, 03:50 PM   #856
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBlo View Post
Actually... if the battery life was extended to very long levels it would be a good model for AIP. As it is right now the RA AIP model is really just a nuke reactor with a 20 kt speed limit. Would it be possible to keep the Diseal/battery model, but use a ultra long range batter to simulate hydrogen power. It would take some hacking of the code though I think.
The reason why modern playable AIP subs in DW are "nuclear powered" is because of a limit in the interface files.
The towed array sensor is only available for nuclear subs, so having a real Type 212 with correct AIP modelling would have meant using the diesel eletric panel and forgo completely the towed array.
Same for Collins, for Harushio etc...
If you ask me, having the towed array is much more important than a half baked AIP modelling.
Modern diesel eletric subs have a towed array, it is a fundamental sensor that simply cannot be forgotten.

Now for old diesel electric subs, such as the old Kilo, yes an increase in battery range should be possibile.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 07:26 PM   #857
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Actually... if the battery life was extended to very long levels it would be a good model for AIP. As it is right now the RA AIP model is really just a nuke reactor with a 20 kt speed limit. Would it be possible to keep the Diseal/battery model, but use a ultra long range batter to simulate hydrogen power. It would take some hacking of the code though I think.

Actually [as we all know] AIP would be able to stay submerged much longer than a couple days at slow speeds. It would be able to stay submerged for weeks!(more than 2 weeks). And

I'm aware of the reason they didn't include the battery just as Goldorak said. I have no objection that there's no battery in AIP subs as long as they are AIP subs. Of course would be even better to have real battery on AIP subs as well one that would last say 3-4 weeks(though I suspect some of these AIP boats may be able to stay submerged for much longer like 8-12 weeks) on 5 knots or so even when the players would never exhaust the battery at all in game hence never needing to recharge.

However in my opinion the conventional electric sub is very handicapped with the very poor battery which I realize was made that way by Sonalysts due to gameplay reasons but with a more realistic battery on the conventional subs then the Kilo and such would be able to maneuver some more in each scenarios even transiting to objective submerged.

Well just my 2 cents anyway.
Old 02-04-10, 01:59 AM   #858
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
Actually [as we all know] AIP would be able to stay submerged much longer than a couple days at slow speeds. It would be able to stay submerged for weeks!(more than 2 weeks).
I don't think anyone would doubt that a nuclear model for AIP is acceptable for low speed. But some questions arise, like how long should a Type 212 be able to sprint (either to assume an attack position on a convoy, clear datum, or achieve a time sensitive objective)? I'm not sure anyone has the answer.

What if the TA sensor could be linked to another button on another screen? Perhaps the snorkle mast on the diseal interface or in floating wire on the radio interface? It would take deep digging into the engine me thinks. One could also make an perpetually deployed TA by giving the subs flank arrays TA performance.
Old 02-04-10, 04:16 AM   #859
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
I don't think anyone would doubt that a nuclear model for AIP is acceptable for low speed. But some questions arise, like how long should a Type 212 be able to sprint (either to assume an attack position on a convoy, clear datum, or achieve a time sensitive objective)? I'm not sure anyone has the answer.
So what do you gain by replacing the nuclear interface by the diesel one ?
In either case you wont know how long a Type 212 is able to sprint.

Quote:
What if the TA sensor could be linked to another button on another screen? Perhaps the snorkle mast on the diseal interface or in floating wire on the radio interface? It would take deep digging into the engine me thinks. One could also make an perpetually deployed TA by giving the subs flank arrays TA performance.
If that were possibile it would have been atempted I think.
Maybe so for the flank arrays, but then we would find ourselves with modern subs that use an arcaic ssaz (and that is not at all used in western navies, and has been also phased out in russian boats).
Waterfall display + towed array means we have to use the nuclear interface.

Edit : in the end, this whole battery thing is irrelvant in multiplayer since missions last only a few hours.
And if you're designing a single player mission or single player campaign well you can always rely on the player to act responsabile (for instace not going continuosly at 20 knots and so on) unless he wants to play an arcade style game.
But then you have to wonder what the hell he's playing DW for in the first place.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 06:00 AM   #860
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:

... But some questions arise, like how long should a Type 212 be able to sprint (either to assume an attack position on a convoy, clear datum, or achieve a time sensitive objective)? I'm not sure anyone has the answer.

One could also make an perpetually deployed TA by giving the subs flank arrays TA performance.
But sprinting in long ranges makes the sub vulnerable . . .most players would not sprint in transit . . . but of course a very long battery is better than having infinite ability to stay submerged.

That's a very interesting idea . . . though that would mean the flank array is lost in favor of the perpetual towed array.

We need DWII. Come on Sonalysts but after the previous owner died I doubt Sonalysts would be interested in making another commercial title....
Paying these Russian DWX modders would even be a good idea....you know outsourcing . . .
Old 02-06-10, 01:18 PM   #861
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

Quote:
But sprinting in long ranges makes the sub vulnerable . . .most players would not sprint in transit . . . but of course a very long battery is better than having infinite ability to stay submerged.
True. I don't know if it would effect gameplay that much. Except on long scenarios like Sicillian Wedding. Just a interesting thought.
Old 02-10-10, 06:00 PM   #862
-GrayOwl-
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
True. I don't know if it would effect gameplay that much. Except on long scenarios like Sicillian Wedding. Just a interesting thought.

On the Sicilian wedding - participates Subs not capable to the given ability (without charges of batteries). Only Sub with Diesel/Capability. And Driveable - Only Nucleer SUB - Los Angeles
Old 02-15-10, 11:27 AM   #863
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb1 View Post
Where is the latest download for RA mod? The link someone gave me is dead.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 06:53 PM   #864
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3219

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar19681 View Post
Where is the latest download for RA mod? The link someone gave me is dead.
Go to:

http://www.redrodgers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4912

RA mod version 1.0. Search in this blog the updates for 1.0 version, too.

All we are watching the update RA 1.1...We haven´t date for it...

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 08:34 AM   #865
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119

thank you

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 04:15 PM   #866
Deisel Submarine
Watch

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Actually [as we all know] AIP would be able to stay submerged much longer than a couple days at slow speeds. It would be able to stay submerged for weeks!(more than 2 weeks). And

I'm aware of the reason they didn't include the battery just as Goldorak said. I have no objection that there's no battery in AIP subs as long as they are AIP subs. Of course would be even better to have real battery on AIP subs as well one that would last say 3-4 weeks(though I suspect some of these AIP boats may be able to stay submerged for much longer like 8-12 weeks) on 5 knots or so even when the players would never exhaust the battery at all in game hence never needing to recharge.

However in my opinion the conventional electric sub is very handicapped with the very poor battery which I realize was made that way by Sonalysts due to gameplay reasons but with a more realistic battery on the conventional subs then the Kilo and such would be able to maneuver some more in each scenarios even transiting to objective submerged.

Well just my 2 cents anyway.

I think the real AIP powerd SSKs like the U212 cant stay submerged for more than 3weeks do to the fact that there is no Oxygen left in the submarine and SSKs cant make there own oxygen unlike the nuclear subs.
here is how i figure it 13days Aip power 8days Baterys but if i was a captain i would use 1day of aip power and 1day of battery power to extend my Aip power to 26days or have extra Aip for ride home.
Ive made a few missions that you have to stay under for 21days to complete if anyone is intrested message me.

But as far as the Kilos battery goes it should be 133hrs to give us a 400NM range and its about 3days and the Aip powerd U212 in RA1.0 will go under 600nm not 1248nm as mentioned in the specs.
Deisel Submarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 04:33 PM   #867
Deisel Submarine
Watch

I think the RA Team should design a gauge to show us how much power we have left much like the Kilo battery gauge

wheather or not we have the ability to stay submerged for a few weeks or for 600nm we need to know how much power we have i have ran out many times doing a 20kt speed burst the slow to 4kts and im stuck with no more power to complete the mission.

I also think we should be left a deisel engine to save or AIP power and to just to get around or in my case get back to port rather than being stranded out in the middle of the ocean.
Old 02-20-10, 08:51 PM   #868
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deisel Submarine View Post
I think the real AIP powerd SSKs like the U212 cant stay submerged for more than 3weeks do to the fact that there is no Oxygen left in the submarine and SSKs cant make there own oxygen unlike the nuclear subs.
here is how i figure it 13days Aip power 8days Baterys but if i was a captain i would use 1day of aip power and 1day of battery power to extend my Aip power to 26days or have extra Aip for ride home.
Ive made a few missions that you have to stay under for 21days to complete if anyone is intrested message me.

But as far as the Kilos battery goes it should be 133hrs to give us a 400NM range and its about 3days and the Aip powerd U212 in RA1.0 will go under 600nm not 1248nm as mentioned in the specs.
Thanks for the information . Doh maybe they'll build a 12 weeks endurance AIP sub someday. That will drive the nuclear boats nuts .
Old 02-21-10, 11:37 AM   #869
Deisel Submarine
Watch

Quote:
Thanks for the information . Doh maybe they'll build a 12 weeks endurance AIP sub someday. That will drive the nuclear boats nuts .

Very true I think that if they could add an oxygen Maker they could easily stay under for 12weeks using almost all of there batterys and Aip but @ a top speed of 4kts they could only go about 8000nm which they can already do on there deisel engine But if they ever can Nuclear boats captains will be very angry considering they have a hard enough time trying to find them Aip subs Now.

Here is where i get my imformation on the U212 and U214
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_214_submarine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_212_submarine

Enjoy.
Old 02-22-10, 12:41 AM   #870
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deisel Submarine View Post
Very true I think that if they could add an oxygen Maker they could easily stay under for 12weeks using almost all of there batterys and Aip but @ a top speed of 4kts they could only go about 8000nm which they can already do on there deisel engine But if they ever can Nuclear boats captains will be very angry considering they have a hard enough time trying to find them Aip subs Now.

Here is where i get my imformation on the U212 and U214
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_214_submarine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_212_submarine

Enjoy.
Oh well an AIP sub which could stay submerged for 12 weeks would be a nuclear skipper nightmare as that would mean now the AIP subs could patrol choke points and coastal areas for prolonged period especially in times of raised tensions and even with a completely submerged transit on the way and from assigned area albeit with a slow transit speed..

But let's go back to the thread's topic.
The update to RA that we all have been waiting for must be ready by now?!

Anyone can give us update on it?

Tags
reinforce alert