SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-02-19, 10:30 AM   #1
CDR DPH
Helmsman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Default Restricted to only one subsim, which to choose?

A long time ago, I had Silent Hunter I & II, 688 and maybe one other title. I did not play these very often because I enjoyed limited success. I currently own Cold Waters and play it all the time.

I am somewhat impatient. I don't mind learning how to best do things but I do get discouraged if I can't seem to make steady progress towards improvement. I appreciate decent graphics, good story lines/scenarios, and I really love guided torpedoes. I don't necessarily have to man every work station all the time and I do not particularly like having to drill down to the minutest detail to produce a favorable result although I accept some tasks on a sub do require a degree of finesse.

Of all the subsims currently available, that will run on Windows 10 with as few modifications as possible, that do not require and advanced degree in seamanship to enjoy, which would you pick if you could pick just one?

Thanks.
CDR DPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 10:57 AM   #2
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Dangerous waters

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 11:21 AM   #3
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
Dangerous waters
Came here to say this.

It's the one that keeps me coming back no matter what.
Old 01-02-19, 11:23 AM   #4
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Admittedly the graphics are very dated now but the whole mods and the detail is still on par with games from today.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 08:58 AM   #5
CDR DPH
Helmsman

Thank you for the input.
Old 01-03-19, 05:17 PM   #6
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

It has been a while since I played (which could be remedied by simply pulling my IBM PS/1 out of storage)... BUT appearently when you get older, you also get (more?) lazy.

I would say Aces of the Deep.
But since that doesn't work on Windows 10 ,or more specifically anything but 256 color/8bit display settings, I also don't have Windows 10...

I would say SSN-21 Seawolf.
But since that needs dosbox...

I would say SH3/4 (since it it functionally the same game engine).
But since that isn't technically "one game", and modding it is almost as involved as programming my own game...

I would say... I need to just go ahead and program my own game.
But since I don't have time for that...

Then I would say Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
But since that's not a sub sim...

What was the question again?

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 08:57 AM   #7
CDR DPH
Helmsman

I found the old DW demo v1.3 and installed it. Got the program to run on Windows 10 thanks to the Komat wrapper.

Played through the one and only sub mission...

Yeah, DW is not for me for several reasons none of which would be of particular interest to anyone.

Thx for the suggestion though. Will have to wait and see what the future brings...
Old 01-04-19, 09:24 AM   #8
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR DPH View Post
A long time ago, I had Silent Hunter I & II, 688 and maybe one other title. I did not play these very often because I enjoyed limited success. I currently own Cold Waters and play it all the time.

I am somewhat impatient. I don't mind learning how to best do things but I do get discouraged if I can't seem to make steady progress towards improvement. I appreciate decent graphics, good story lines/scenarios, and I really love guided torpedoes. I don't necessarily have to man every work station all the time and I do not particularly like having to drill down to the minutest detail to produce a favorable result although I accept some tasks on a sub do require a degree of finesse.

Of all the subsims currently available, that will run on Windows 10 with as few modifications as possible, that do not require and advanced degree in seamanship to enjoy, which would you pick if you could pick just one?

Thanks.
Everyone has their favorites so it's really hard to choose. With the mods available, the Silent Hunter franchise is excellent. Silent Hunter 3 with the GWX overlay or Living Silent Hunter or others is excellent. With the Jones generic mod enabler, you can move mods in and out of the game play at will.

Rockin Rockins is a fan of Silent Hunter 4 with the Fall of the Rising Sun overlay.

TheBerbster ( Peter ) tells me Silent Hunter 5 is great after the bugs are worked out and modified. Peter knows these games inside and out and is always ready to help people with their simulations.

Luckily, you don't have to choose. You can try them all out and see if any of these are to your liking. Enjoy trying out your simulations and Sink em' All.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-19, 02:01 AM   #9
FullMetalADCAP
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR DPH View Post

Thanks.
I own Cold Waters on a Windows 10 system but something feels very off with it to me. I was on here months ago asking if there could be sub interiors for it so that I could feel attached to my boat but that never got implemented into the game unfortunately.

I just don't feel attached to my sub in Cold Waters and that kills the immersion for me but just like you, I love being able to control guided torps in the game. But the game makes me feel chilled and cold inside my body because I feel like I'm outside the sub in that cold water and not in my boat. I served in the U.S. Navy and I've been in some freezing cold water before in the North Atlantic and so it makes me feel chilled to my core when I don't feel like I'm inside my boat. I feel warm and snug inside a cozy sub or surface ship when there's interiors. I used to play Command Aces of the Deep long long ago when I was a teenager and I loved the warm and snug feeling I had being underwater and looking up through the scope at the moon in that game, with the waves above lapping away at my scope and listening to Mozart. Years later after that, and after I had served in the U.S. Navy, Silent Hunter III got released and it brought that feeling back I had years before playing Command Aces of the Deep.

I'd say Silent Hunter III is my all-time favorite SubSim. I mean, it was a huge hit for sub lovers when it came out and it's still very popular. People had their complaints, but overall, Ubisoft made a very good SubSim with that one. UbiSoft upset a lot of people by poisoning it with StarForce though. But I still installed it and enjoyed it and with mods found on here, the game is phenomenal.

I really wish they'd make Silent Hunter III with the graphics of Silent Hunter V (or better) and full sub interiors with full crew and allow for more than 4GB of RAM to be used for mods.

I would also like to have Cold Water 2 get released with sub interiors. Even if it's just freaking panels/stations like in Dangerous Waters! Just something that allows me to feel connected to my sub like I'm inside the bloody thing.

And I hate the campaign map in Cold Waters. It's like Red Storm Rising in how you drag your mouse on the map to travel and it feels like you're pulling your sub through a sea of taffy or something. I always hated that, even back in 1989 when I played RSR for the first time on an old IBM 386 system with a 5.25" floppy drive and a joystick.

I like how travel is done in Silent Hunter III, IV, and V where you can use time compression on the map and you can go back to the 3D world at normal time any time you want. I don't like having to wait for my sub icon to run into an A.I. icon on the map for battle mode to begin in the 3D world. I want to be able to explore the ocean at any time or travel via time compression at any time on the game map with waypoints I set.

U-Boat looks promising on Steam. It's not out yet but I like the crew management aspect and interior views I've seen for that game so far. I've heard from some who got beta keys that there's no campaign right now and there's still tons of features that need to be implemented for it. I'm hoping the Devs make it into a really awesome subsim though.

OH, one more thing! I want a freaking XCOM: Terror From the Deep remake with modern graphics. Is that too much to freaking ask for after all these years?! Loved being able to fight aliens under the sea and on tropical islands.

Last edited by FullMetalADCAP; 01-30-19 at 02:16 AM.
FullMetalADCAP is offline   Reply With Quote