SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-12, 03:06 PM   #721
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
I got the impression the Empire is all that stands between Skyrim and the Thalmor. It's nice if Ulfric wins his little rebellion, but is he going to be as succesfull keeping the Thalmor out?
That's how I see it as well. The Empire might have ineffectual leadership, but the only thing Stormcloak's xenophobes are doing is giving all of Skyrim to the Thalmor.
Old 01-04-12, 03:09 PM   #722
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
A lot of the rebel Nords and their sympathizers seem to have a "Skyrim is for Nords only" thing going on, but I haven't seen any evidence of that from Ulfric himself so far.
He's relegated all of the Dunmer refugees off to a ghetto in Windhelm.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 03:11 PM   #723
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Well right now it appears that Skyrim is under the jurisdiction of both the Empire and the Thalmor, who are there anyway doing as they please to the population and with the Empire's official sanction (personal preferences of some Imperials notwithstanding). Maybe the rebels would prefer the option of an independent Skyrim fighting the Thalmor openly and losing, if it came to that, over a continuation of their current situation. IMO that would seem far more honorable to the Nord mindset.

There really is no all around good guy in this, and it will break my heart to have to take part in an attack on Whiterun and see the current Jarl deposed if the Stormcloaks win. Sad to think it could all be avoided if only the steward there would offer me a bigger house to live in.

Quote:
He's relegated all of the Dunmer refugees off to a ghetto in Windhelm.
Please, let's not muddy the waters with facts.

I know, I know. But there aren't many black/white choices in this game and so when faced with two options that are equally unappealing in some way I choose the one that looks to benefit me personally in the way that I most desire (whether it pans out that way or not, is another question). Or I choose based on some gut instinctual reaction to the sum total of my interactions with representatives of both sides so far.

It's not perfect, but as long as Bunnies Slaughtered = 0, my conscience is clear.

Last edited by frau kaleun; 01-04-12 at 03:29 PM.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 03:55 PM   #724
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Also: I really wish I'd thought of this first.

Old 01-04-12, 04:51 PM   #725
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Well.....

It wasn't hard for me to pick sides. The thing that mainly made it REALLY is for me was the Thalmore. The whole idea of elven overlords who could tell me what i could or could not believe in got my gander up. That and the whole homeland thing. If there is ONE thing worth fighting for in this world, it is HOME.

Of course this is real world feelings creeping their way into a fantasy realm, but, here i could act on them. So im currently level 34, and pushing errr, more like squashing...the Imperials out of my "homeland." (Im playing the True nord / braveheart type) Even before I joined the stormcloaks, i made it a point to kill every Thalmore I saw. The trick is,to provoke them into attacking you first. Then you can slaughter them without any bounty.

Next go around, instead of playing as a "Beowulf" type of character, maybe i'll play a "Maximus" type of character.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 05:02 PM   #726
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
I got the impression the Empire is all that stands between Skyrim and the Thalmor. It's nice if Ulfric wins his little rebellion, but is he going to be as succesfull keeping the Thalmor out?
Probably not, but any character is going to have a hard time siding with the guys that just tried to have you executed.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 05:07 PM   #727
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

I'd like to see the Thalmor try and keep a hold of Skyrim, it would be akin to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Never underestimate the Nords...and in the game.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 05:13 PM   #728
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
Probably not, but any character is going to have a hard time siding with the guys that just tried to have you executed.

Yeah, that definatly comes into play from the get go. In fact, I didn't realize the choice of whose side your leaning towards begins right after the dragon attack with who you choose to follow.

My first inclination was NOT to follow an Imperial, but the guy who I had something in common with .... the chopping block.
Old 01-04-12, 05:15 PM   #729
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Yeah, that definatly comes into play from the get go. In fact, I didn't realize the choice of whose side your leaning towards begins right after the dragon attack with who you choose to follow.

My first inclination was NOT to follow an Imperial, but the guy who I had something in common with .... the chopping block.
I usually play Bretons due to the fact that I like the magic resistance. And even though the Nords are doing the exact same thing to the Bretons in The Reach that the Imperials are doing to the Nords, I still have a hard time not wanting to side with Ulfric.
Old 01-04-12, 05:46 PM   #730
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
I usually play Bretons due to the fact that I like the magic resistance. And even though the Nords are doing the exact same thing to the Bretons in The Reach that the Imperials are doing to the Nords, I still have a hard time not wanting to side with Ulfric.
also served to cement my decision. I mean, aside from wanting to run away from the people trying to behead me at the very start of the game.
Old 01-04-12, 05:57 PM   #731
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

I'm considering joining the Imperials. I don't like the whole "Skyrim for the Nords only" stuff (maybe it's because my country has made some bad experiences with that).
Besides the peace with the Thalmor was a forced one that won't last forever and I'm pretty sure both sides are already preparing for the next round and for that we need a united empire that can kick butt. Otherwise Skyrim will have to condone much more than a handfull of Thalmor roaming the land. So if you want to prey to Talos you have to make sure there will be an army that can knock some sense into those dark elves and that's nothing Skyrim will be able to do alone.
Old 01-04-12, 06:10 PM   #732
Biggles
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 5

During my current character, I followed the Stormcloak soldier at the start, but I ended up killing Ulfric and bringing victory to the legion!
Old 01-04-12, 08:36 PM   #733
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

I followed the Imperial out of Helgen, but only because he was the first dude I saw who seemed as intent on getting out of there as I was. Plus IIRC he was the one who hesitated at my execution because I wasn't on the list, and he cut my wrists free.

The main reason I want to take a side is because it appears that the civil war storyline is not going to progress one iota unless I do, because the game has to preserve the status quo there indefinitely just in case I do decide to join up with one side at any point in my character's career. And frankly, having been to the Palace of the Kings numerous times in my previous character's adventures, I am sick and tired of hearing Ulfric and his general discuss whether or not they should send the Jarl of Whiterun a message. I guess that would be my job if and when I join the Stormcloaks, or given to someone else (or disappear entirely from the storyline) if I join the Imperials instead. Either way they ain't gonna shut up about it unless I do something.

This time around, I'm picking the Stormcloaks. In another life I may go the other way. Having so may options is part of what makes this game so awesome.
Old 01-04-12, 08:59 PM   #734
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
And frankly, having been to the Palace of the Kings numerous times in my previous character's adventures, I am sick and tired of hearing Ulfric and his general discuss whether or not they should send the Jarl of Whiterun a message.

I completely agree. I remember wishing that he would just attack already during the 400 times that I had to enter the Palace during the Blood on the Ice side quest.
Old 01-05-12, 01:26 AM   #735
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

FUUUUUU-ng Farkas!

Doing the stupid artifact mission for the Companions and he keeps rushing ahead and dying leaving me alone to kill 5 Silvehand guys and 3-4 Draugrs

Im going to stab this dirty werewolf in his face if he doesn't get off his arse and do something

F it... Those bastard Companions won't get their artifact until they send me a competent follower.

Last edited by Krauter; 01-05-12 at 01:36 AM.
Krauter is offline   Reply With Quote