Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-17, 03:38 PM   #1
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0
Default dogs are smarter than they look

proof of what every dog owner instinctively knows, the buggers have us twisted around their little paws...

Quote:
That little pooch you shower with love and affection knows how to get what it wants.

A new study published in the journal Animal Cognition has found that our canine companions are able to deceive us in order to get something they desire. And they can figure out how to do it quite quickly.
Quote:
In order to study the behaviour, Heberlein and her research team from the University of Zurich conducted an experiment. Using 27 dogs, the team paired each one with two human partners: a co-operative one who allowed the dogs to eat treats, and a competitive one who withheld the treats.

After the dogs learned which was which, the dogs then had the chance to lead them to one of three boxes: in one there was a sausage; in another was a less appetizing dog treat; and the last one was empty.

On the first day, the dogs led the co-operative partners to the sausage box more often than expected by chance and more often than the competitive partner. On the second day that increased in both cases.

By leading the competitive partner to the incorrect box, this meant that the dog had a chance to keep the delicious sausage for itself later on, when the experiment was repeated with a co-operative partner. Hence, the apparently deceptive behaviour.

This ability, the researchers say, was learned quite quickly compared to other studies involving primates, which can take upward of a hundred trials before the animals made this association and acted accordingly.
Quote:
Humans tend to think of themselves as unique, and cognitive abilities is one of those things that some believe sets us apart — and above — other animals. But more and more, this belief is being challenged as other species are found to be making cognitive choices.

Still, the speed at which the dogs learned was notable.

"I do think it's impressive that they got the co-operative/competition task quite quickly," Buchsbaum said. "It's promising that they're solving the problem and not just gradually learning more simple association."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/do...tion-1.4019103
Old 03-13-17, 03:49 PM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The wife and I occasionally disagree on which one of us gives in the quickest and I readily admit it is usually me.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 04:52 PM   #3
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Old 03-13-17, 06:45 PM   #4
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
There's a dog who knows where the sausage is...

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 12:50 AM   #5
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

I remember a friend telling me that I did a good job training my dog. I remarked, " I'm not sure who trained who " Sometimes though, dogs earn a degree of wrath and need to be punished and shamed.

Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 02:34 AM   #6
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Human's uniqueness is its ability to collaborate and the consequence of the evolution of universal morality.

Bees are also much smarter than most of us would acknowledge. It can perceive, THINK, and have the awareness for self-preservation just like an individual. It's probably as smart as a dog.

Lobsters too aren't the unfeeling automaton animals we often dismiss them to be out of our stupidity and ignorance....

But human beings are the only species on the planet that's capable of transcending space, time, and individuality. That's full humanness. Sadly, this doesn't happen to most of us who never blossom into a full human being. Most of us live not much different than animals in lower consciousness mode of living that involves strong attachment to the ego.
Old 03-14-17, 10:18 AM   #7
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

It's an evolutionary response. The canines that acted the nicest to humans long ago got the best rewards, and survived longer. It's a truly beautiful symbiotic relationship. Everybody needs a good dog at their side.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 02:29 PM   #8
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
Human's uniqueness is its ability to collaborate and the consequence of the evolution of universal morality.

Bees are also much smarter than most of us would acknowledge. It can perceive, THINK, and have the awareness for self-preservation just like an individual. It's probably as smart as a dog.

Lobsters too aren't the unfeeling automaton animals we often dismiss them to be out of our stupidity and ignorance....

But human beings are the only species on the planet that's capable of transcending space, time, and individuality. That's full humanness. Sadly, this doesn't happen to most of us who never blossom into a full human being. Most of us live not much different than animals in lower consciousness mode of living that involves strong attachment to the ego.
Ever try to rub a bee's belly or take a lobster for a walk?
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 09:23 PM   #9
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Ever try to rub a bee's belly or take a lobster for a walk?
Hehehehehe

Concerning bees
http://europe.newsweek.com/scientist...0257%3Frx%3Deu

Concerning lobsters
http://www.animalsaustralia.org/feat...ster-facts.php
Old 03-14-17, 10:14 PM   #10
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Boiled alive lobsters are quite tasty when you dismember them and dip the meat in butter and who doesn't like honey?

Old 03-15-17, 08:41 AM   #11
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

This is our big girl total alpha female. Even now at 15 years she still doesnt take crap from other dogs. Once she was made aware she could not eat the pup we brought home she taught him how to go for the jugular and take down prey when they played. They became the bestest buds.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-15-17 at 09:33 AM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-17, 07:26 PM   #12
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Boiled alive lobsters are quite tasty when you dismember them and dip the meat in butter and who doesn't like honey?
You really remind me of online Chinese trolls.

What makes boiling lobsters alive to taste better?

Do you know you're not making sense by saying that if you boil lobsters alive they would be tastier?

Doesn't make a difference if you kill them first before boiling them.

Thank you for your trolling attempt. Obviously, you're not very smart. Take it easy. If you want trouble you'll get it.
Old 03-15-17, 09:06 PM   #13
August
Wayfaring Stranger

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
You really remind me of online Chinese trolls.

What makes boiling lobsters alive to taste better?

Do you know you're not making sense by saying that if you boil lobsters alive they would be tastier?

Doesn't make a difference if you kill them first before boiling them.

Thank you for your trolling attempt. Obviously, you're not very smart. Take it easy. If you want trouble you'll get it.
Oh come on now it's just a lobster not your cousin Bob.

I'm not apologizing for finding boiled lobster absolutely delicious. And yes alive is exactly how they go in the pot at every restaurant and home kitchen that i've ever had them at over the past half century living in New England. They're kind of a specialty around here.

Out of curiosity though what would be the PETA approved way to dispatch them first? Electrocution, lethal injection?

Old 03-16-17, 06:01 AM   #14
Castout
Silent Hunter

Never mind August. Thank you for reminding me why I am that.

There's no Bob, there's no lobster, there's no August, there's no Castout.

There's only It, the One all there is.

You enjoy your lobsters but please kill them before boiling them. You can google how to kill them humanely. It's more difficult to kill a crab humanely though.

They are not just lobsters, they are you too August...even when the sentence doesn't make sense to you.
Old 03-16-17, 09:45 AM   #15
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post

Wait? Are we talkin' lobsters or lobstahs?

These sounded like snow flake lobsters. They need their safe spaces and still live at home with their parents... until the octopus eats them alive.

Then there's those dumb Maine lobstahs. Uncultured brutes.

...then there's the Bahston lobstah. Wicked pissah! Eats snowflake lobsters in their safe spaces.

Then there's the "lobstah back"

(note, no Steeds were harmed in this post, but his sense of pride was smothered in butter and served as a wicked lobstah roll.)

Remember when Steed was into punk?