SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-28-20, 06:44 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I did the first movie in a new format, timewarp 5x. It was originally meant to be just another test run over 80 minutes of a short bike tour, but then I turned it into a 12-minute-movie nevertheless. It illustrates nicely that the Hero 8 has improved capability to handle direct sunlight from the front and right in the middle of the lense better than the predecessor. It illustrates further the nice function of digital stabilising timelapse recording while it already is beng recorded, the picture is much smoother and calmer than the way I did it last year with adding timelapse in postprocessing of normally recorded material. The film gives a nice idea of how it feels to watch such a fast movie for a longer period of time, and to my surprise it works better than I feared. Indeed I even prefer it to the old videos I did last year. This year, I will cut my films less than last year, there is no need. I will increase the 5x footage by additional 2x factors to get the speed to 10x in parts, instead of cutting them out. Nevertheless I get much short running times this way, even if not cutting stuff out. The video this way is more complete and still more easy on the eyes.

Simple tour through the Rieselfelder and then upwards the channel, then back on the other side . The mood was quite captivating on the way home, time of day was approaching sunset. Youtube'S compression has messed up the music, however, it is not that over overamplified in original. The first 40 seconds or so are even in 10x.

The financial invetsment of getting the Hero 8 just after having bought the 7 last year, to me was worth it, the imrovmeents and the manual controllabilty of the Timewarp mode alone are worth it - I did not use Timewarp in the 7 at all, now I us enothign else anymore. There are some more improvements int he camera as well, and the colour prfile in general also is more to my taste, less blueish, slightly more reddish, warmer. Penty of gold in colours in this film are due to the already low sun, however, and you could manually chnage colour temperature in thje camera anyway.

If you know what you get for the money, I recommend the buying of the 8 even if you have the 7. Its expensive, but an incredible kit. I love it.

[deleted April 18th 2020]

Last edited by Skybird; 04-18-20 at 03:25 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote