SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-18-19, 12:19 AM   #1
tbcon
Nub

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
wolf_howl15 A cub's cry

Generally I would like to ask if there is any table or something similar that shows which mods are immediate compatible, which can work together with mediocre computer skills and so forth.

A ''bit'' of my SH3 experience also:

I have GWX. I was happy, I completed the Naval academy, started a career and naturaly, soon enough (before I even lost sight of the port!) I wanted to check something technical. I quickly ended up in subsim with 10+ tabs open on my browser.
I don't even remember what I initialy wanted to check anymore tbh!

When I discovered all of these mods around I stoped playing and started reading and reading and reading....
I saw that a lot of people have troubles but also a lot of people have huge modsoups as well.

I may have a 10 years old laptop but as SH3 is an even older game I hoped that I can enjoy most of the mods out there.

BTW here are my specs of my proud Acer Aspire 5739G, funny compared to a modern system, but capable enough I want to hope!
Win7 64bit-CPU2.20GHz- 4Gb RAM -Nvidia GT240M

I did the mistake to think that I can have anything which I quickly surpassed.

Afterall I am running a nice megamod which is already a lot more from the stockgame itself.

But I still kept thinking that I could get a decent mod cocktail. I may not had a terribly long modlist but I would certainly have something more than the optional GWX mods provided!

So, I continued reading and reading...

But then, I started feeling intimitaded, almost everything interferes with something else and a lot of details are really hard to find between countless posts.
I started taking notes but soon my notes were too much and of little value so far.

After that, I reached the inevitable point where I realized that I had to make sacrifices and by that I mean serious things ommited, not just a minor Das Boot skin or the Integrated orders that I liked a lot.

I tried to nail down what I would use and I found out that some tinkering, beyond what the readme files say will be present.

So, I tried to merge two simple mods that I wish to have in my soup and in order to get more confident and able:

Depthcharge Shake v2.01 and the LifeBoats&Debris_v4.

It is just the SDL file with little differences but still...

Two of them are enough to have me stuck.

I tried 3 different tools I found on the forums, Winmerge seemed more to the point regarding showing the differences.

The first diference is right on the top, it seems innocent but I have no idea if that's the case and ofcourse I have no idea what to do.

The second is at the bottom and is obvious -by comparing the 2 mod SDLs with the stock SDL as well- that it's a heavy one.
So... what am I supposed to do here? Add the one beneath the other? Is it so simple, just a copy-paste?

I have yet to bother with differences between resolution mods and the FM_NewInterior v2.1D also. Sadly, the latter seems to get sacrificed to the cyber Neptune as well because it seems interfering with other mods too.
It seems beautifull and fortunately I haven't yet checked it in game, otherwise I get locked!

Also, I haven't yet touched the hardcore fix, only read the thread and the readme but is a must-have for me.

I am planning to use SH3C of course, I even gave it a tour and I liked it. I happened to have even with this questions alhough I read all the related thread and well-documented files:

It's about the additional files for the GWX.

Do I need to just run the installer or should I put as well the additional files manually somewhere? IIRC the installer created a folder inside the SHC plus 2 others in it, maybe an cfg one. I have it uninstalled in the moment so ,I can't tell exactly.
Anyway, should I move those files somewhere else?
I think I have seen 2 contradicted answers for this, but the ''just install in the right directory'' seems to prevail.

The conclusion I made from the readings during the whole past week is that I must pay attention to the slightest detail and that a problem will not always be an obvious CTD but something that can ruin a career after a lot of smooth playing, something that I want to prevent ofcourse.

That's why I have unexpected questions.

I don't even get completely when people say ''install this mod on top of that mod''.
Because in JSGME when a mod is upper on the list this means that it gets overwritten by another mod which is shown lower on the list if they are conflicting. So, what ''on top'' means in the end?
Upper or ''stronger''?

I know, it may sound silly to some but that's my case.

I won't present you with a thousands mods and ask you how to do it -although I must admit I am really tempted- I know it's not going to work, but I really feel I need close help in order to set up the game beyond the stock GWX given mods.

If I have to list the must haves, those would be:

1) A resolution one definetely (a 1366x768)- After I made the mistake to try one (the Conus' SH3GWXWS 2.3), I can't go back, I need that WS because my screen is not big anyway

2) The H.sies harcore with Stiebler's probably

3) The SH3C and the SH3gen

Besides the harcore that needs some work, but as I stated I haven't yet tried so I don't need any assistant for the moment, the others seem easy to enable.

BUT when I want to add something like the depthcharge or the lifeboats, not to mention the Enhanced Dammage or some 20km visibility mods that I think I should have, things are getting nasty.
I feel that MFM will not be a problem currently, but I have a bad feeling for b GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V7 as I can see sdl, cfg etc involved.

How far can I go I wonder...

Any help on my countless querries (and the countless I didn't write!) is more than welcome!

I understand that it's an old game, things have been told again and again and time is precious nowadays, so I don't worry a lot.

BUT, if I don't get any decent help I will return to the SH of the air, the great -and buggy too, alas!- B-17 and bomb those subpens with all my high skill, I promise!
tbcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-19, 01:18 AM   #2
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 0

Hi,welcome a board!
Try with Aces combined sh3 sdl ,here http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...171019&page=27,folderAces. Regards!
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-19, 03:29 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Hi, tbcon. Welcome Aboard!

I'll try not to make this too long, but I also want to try to answer all your questions.

Quote:
I quickly ended up in subsim with 10+ tabs open on my browser.
I don't even remember what I initialy wanted to check anymore tbh!
Been there, done that!

Quote:
When I discovered all of these mods around I stoped playing and started reading and reading and reading....
I saw that a lot of people have troubles but also a lot of people have huge modsoups as well.
A couple of years back I kept a log thread of my latest adventures playing with SH3 installations. You might find it interesting (or not).
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=217586

Quote:
I tried 3 different tools I found on the forums, Winmerge seemed more to the point regarding showing the differences.
I can't help you there. I suck at computer tools.

Quote:
It's about the additional files for the GWX.

Do I need to just run the installer or should I put as well the additional files manually somewhere? IIRC the installer created a folder inside the SHC plus 2 others in it, maybe an cfg one. I have it uninstalled in the moment so ,I can't tell exactly.
The additional SH3 files for Commander modify the file that controls which keys control which functions. I don't remember the name offhand, as I haven't had SH3 installed in awhile. I've found that as I slowly created my own add-on mega-mod I manually altered that file and kept a copy somewhere. I don't remember where but I'll find it someday, or more likely just start over. At any rate I reached a point where I saved my mod mix and could easily re-install the whole thing at one time, then add that file back in. It's a lot of work but I think it's worth it.

Quote:
I don't even get completely when people say ''install this mod on top of that mod''.
That just means to install the "this" mod after "that" mod, and not before.

Quote:
Because in JSGME when a mod is upper on the list this means that it gets overwritten by another mod which is shown lower on the list if they are conflicting. So, what ''on top'' means in the end?
Upper or ''stronger''?
I originally wrote a long explanation of JSGME, and now that I see you refer to it I had to go back and delete that part.

Quote:
I won't present you with a thousands mods and ask you how to do it -although I must admit I am really tempted- I know it's not going to work, but I really feel I need close help in order to set up the game beyond the stock GWX given mods.
By all means ask. I would only suggest that you ask one question in one post, rather than create a huge list and a generic "How do I get these to work?"

Quote:
If I have to list the must haves, those would be:

1) A resolution one definetely (a 1366x768)- After I made the mistake to try one (the Conus' SH3GWXWS 2.3), I can't go back, I need that WS because my screen is not big anyway

2) The H.sies harcore with Stiebler's probably

3) The SH3C and the SH3gen
I once paraphrased the old "meat and poison" saying with "One player's Must Have is another players Avoid At All Costs. I haven't seen a widescreen mod that I liked. I've just learned to live with a little stretch.

I use h.sie's mod, which does so much that I do consider it necessary. I like SH3 Gen, and have it, but don't consider it vital.

SH3 Commander is so much more than a mod that I don't see how anyone can play without it. I've created a couple of mods that only work with Commander and use its potential as best I can, basically my 'Ship Names' mod, which assigns historically correct names to the ships you sink.

If you read the thread I linked you'll see that my personal list includes dozens of mods that others may consider a waste of time. That's just the way it is.

Quote:
I feel that MFM will not be a problem currently, but I have a bad feeling for b GWX 3 Wilhemshafen,St Naz,Schluese and xtra ships V7 as I can see sdl, cfg etc involved.
In my linked thread I got a lot of help with some of those. It can be done. It just takes time and patience.

Quote:
BUT, if I don't get any decent help I will return to the SH of the air, the great -and buggy too, alas!- B-17 and bomb those subpens with all my high skill, I promise!
You'll get as much help as you're willing to sit still for. As for air war, I'm currently catching up with Wings Over Flanders Fields, which I've read about for years but have never had time to try. Now I have, and it's sucking up all my spare time. We all have our personal loves.

I'm looking forward to your questions, and helping where I can, and cheering you on when I can't help. Best of luck with it.
Old 04-18-19, 06:45 AM   #4
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

My advice; if you want to actually PLAY the game vs mess with it and your computer, keep the mod list short and to the point. Have your men tie you to the mast; it's the only way to ignore the siren's call !
Most of the megamods have a lot of the individual mods already applied anyway.