SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-18-15, 09:21 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

bullhorn [REQ] Mod request for deck gun sounds

I received a question from one of the members, he wants to see if we can improve the sound fx for 3.5 & 4.5 deck gun firing for TMO 2.5. "Right now they sound like someone is spitting out a piece of chewing gum...What they need is more of a CRACK sound,like the main gun on a M-60A3 firing sabot..."

I'll send a Subsim mousepad to whomever can make this happen, plus a bump in rank.

cheers
Neal
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-15, 11:20 AM   #2
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Somehow Ducimus changed and added to the 'muzzle flash' sounds and what triggers them, however the sound that sounds so feeble in TMO 2.5 has the same file name as the Stock 40 AA gun.

This is way beyond me - the finding out what triggers the added sounds in TMO 2.5 part.

In the TMO Sounds folder there is one very powerful (deck gun(??) 'muzzle flash' sound.... Maybe try renaming a copy of that file to the same name as the very weak 'muzzle flash' sound in TMO.

The above 'band aid' approach, except maybe that isn't how SH4 handles the sound files for the different size guns.

It could be like the engine files for example, how does SH4 make that one diesel engine file change pitch as it accelerates the generators to a higher & louder rpm?

Although I have the TMO files, I don't have TMO installed to find out if changing the name of a copy of the loud deck gun 'muzzle flash' sound to the same name as the weak 'muzzle flash' gun sound would work, or would it just make the 40 AA's sound like a 5" gun.

Since I've never heard anyone else mention this problem, maybe a re-install of TMO 2.5 might fix the problem. Although it is mostly reliable, the JSGME sometimes skips a file here and there when uninstalling and installing large mods - especially over and over.

I've written more than I know about sounds here... lol. Sorry. The re-install of TMO 2.5 would be what I'd try first because I can't believe Ducimus would be satisfied with pop gun sounds for the 3.5 & 4.5 guns.

Good luck.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-15, 06:36 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Well, I'm trying to upload now but have had no success. I can fly all over Subsim but when I try to up............NEVER MIND!

So here you go, and this is more than you asked for, Neal. You know I've been on a kick for Universal Plug-in Mods, which are certified to make no changes to any game configuration but the ones the mod announces. This one joins the family, as it not only works with TMO, but every crazy configuration possible, making absolutely no gameplay changes, UI changes, HUD changes, music changes, or any of the other changes modders are so fond of changing.

So Real 5-25 Deck Gun Sound.

In the mod, along with the readme file, is a video of a real 5-25 deck gun being demonstrated aboard a real fleet boat, probably during the war. It's a very interesting video and it might have changed some opinions during Beery's RFB deck gun controversy.

SH4 turns out to use only one sound for the deck gun regardless of the size you have mounted.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 10-19-15 at 07:30 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-15, 08:30 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Very nice! I'll be using this one.

I noticed some interesting things in the video. One, the boat was heading forward but it looks like they trimmed her for the stern to come up first. I would guess this was to facilitated getting the gun cleared faster. Two, by my stopwatch it took more than forty seconds before the gun was fired. Of course there were a couple of camera changes, so it might have been shorter than that.
Old 10-19-15, 08:37 PM   #5
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215
Uploads: 0

Tomorrow I will try it in my heavily personalized GFO. You win RR....

Many thanks and best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-15, 05:32 PM   #6
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166

Sounds good but can you lower the bass for a sharper sound??
Old 10-20-15, 05:46 PM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Wolverine View Post
That is the actual sound! You want it sharper because you may have heard similar guns fired on land. There you get a live environment with echoes reflecting off surfaces all around the source of the sound.

But at sea you are in a dead environment. The water is all you have to reflect sound and it reflects nothing. So you don't get the sharp "crack!" that you might get on land.

Same thing happens up north when there's snow all over. That is also a dead environment with no echoes to sharpen up the sound. And the sound of a rifle changes markedly in that environment. And think of this, the recording I used was made on a wire recorder, which takes most of the bass out anyway. The real sound was bassier than what you don't like.

That being said, if you aren't concerned about realism I can alter the sound just about any way you'd like. We can even release a mod where the deck gun says "I taught I taw a Puddy Tat! I taught I taw a Puddy Tat!" Realism isn't all there is you know!

But in the interest of providing what people want, here is Sharp 5 in 25 cal Deck Gun Sound! This is yet another Certified Universal Plug-in Mod. Install with confidence that it makes NO CHANGES to anything but the deck gun sound.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 10-20-15 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 06:16 PM   #8
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Sounds very well for me in my GFO. A great work. Many thanks RR!

Best regards,

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
Old 10-20-15, 09:33 PM   #9
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

I stand corrected...I was a tank commander and did not know the differnce between the two enviroments..
Old 10-20-15, 09:44 PM   #10
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Just loaded it up and it definitely sounds like a real cannon being fired...To RR..Thank you!!! Fine job...
Old 10-21-15, 07:33 AM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
I stand corrected...I was a tank commander and did not know the differnce between the two enviroments..
I KNEW it! Thank you for your service , and yes, tank guns are very, very similar to the guns they used on the submarines. I can understand totally the sound you were looking for. And I think both guns sound awesome.

Thanks to the Navy for saving that recording of the actual gun so we could use it in a game. The weird thing is that as long as I set the volume for no clipping, it just sounded wimpy. Then I realized that when you're beside the real gun there's plenty of "clipping" as your ears are completely saturated by sound. You hear plenty of distortion in the real gun. So I ramped up the volume to make lots of clipping and suddenly I had a great gun sound.
Old 10-21-15, 08:07 AM   #12
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

What if someone came to claim a prize and found an empty prize booth?

Party! Okay, I'll celebrate among myself.
Old 10-21-15, 11:01 AM   #13
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
What if someone came to claim a prize and found an empty prize booth?

Party! Okay, I'll celebrate among myself.
Nice RR - except I think you need to post a [REL] topic to 'get the prize', so Hurry(!! ; ) before fitzcarraldo post's it ..... lol
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-15, 11:39 AM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That is the actual sound! You want it sharper because you may have heard similar guns fired on land. There you get a live environment with echoes reflecting off surfaces all around the source of the sound.

But at sea you are in a dead environment. The water is all you have to reflect sound and it reflects nothing. So you don't get the sharp "crack!" that you might get on land.

Same thing happens up north when there's snow all over. That is also a dead environment with no echoes to sharpen up the sound. And the sound of a rifle changes markedly in that environment. And think of this, the recording I used was made on a wire recorder, which takes most of the bass out anyway. The real sound was bassier than what you don't like.

That being said, if you aren't concerned about realism I can alter the sound just about any way you'd like. We can even release a mod where the deck gun says "I taught I taw a Puddy Tat! I taught I taw a Puddy Tat!" Realism isn't all there is you know!

But in the interest of providing what people want, here is Sharp 5 in 25 cal Deck Gun Sound! This is yet another Certified Universal Plug-in Mod. Install with confidence that it makes NO CHANGES to anything but the deck gun sound.
An astute observation Having fired a very loud .375 H&H or a 45-70 Sharps in the frigid wasteland MN and Utah snows, I hadn't thought about the 'snap' of the detonation being deadened. In SHII, SHV and AoD as well as DC the gun sound, to me, is quite satisfactory(but now I'll pay more attention. The ocean void is certainly the No-crack case here: And best of all: Footnote: I don't think the gunfire is 'dubbed' as these are low budget films...so 'what you hear is what it is.'

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-15, 11:40 AM   #15
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Nice RR - except I think you need to post a [REL] topic to 'get the prize', so Hurry(!! ; ) before fitzcarraldo post's it ..... lol
The prize is for RR, of course!!! I did nothing except a test with GFO!!!

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

PD: I read your PM, aanker. I was Fitzcarraldo, but I thinking what was the subron. SH1 of course...

For all the community: Is it possible to download the PTC cycles for SH4?