SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-10-19, 11:36 PM   #1
erahmig
Watch

Downloads: 88
Uploads: 0
Default Can't move the hydrophone controls with the mouse

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as is documented in this thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=238115 - I can't move the hydrophone controls with the mouse pointer in a Gato class sub. The Home/End keys do work, as does the mouse scroll wheel. It's just the mouse pointer that doesn't work.

CapnScurvy created 2 flavors of a mod to fix this problem:
* one for the stock v1.5 game (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4099)
* one for the the game with OTC installed (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4098)

Unfortunately for me, I have GFO installed. Both GFO and CapnScurvy's mod change NSS_Gato_CT.sim.

I searched for a GFO-compatible version of CapnScurvy's mod but could not find one.

Does anyone know of another mod that fixes the hydrophone controlling issue for GFO?
erahmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-19, 01:38 PM   #2
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Odd. I've never noticed this. I just use the mouse wheel...... It's so much easier. I thought clicking it to move it was SH3, and for SH4 it has always been the mouse wheel.
Old 05-11-19, 02:12 PM   #3
erahmig
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
Odd. I've never noticed this. I just use the mouse wheel...... It's so much easier. I thought clicking it to move it was SH3, and for SH4 it has always been the mouse wheel.
Yeah, I didn't notice this either until I tried a Gato class sub.

And, it's not that I mind using the mouse wheel. It's just that for me scrolling via the mouse wheel is very slow. One full turn of the mouse wheel ends up turning the hydrophone only a small number of degrees.

If I want to do a full 360 degree sweep I feel like I'm turning the mouse wheel for hours . I'm obviously exaggerating but it's ... less than ideal.
Old 05-11-19, 03:30 PM   #4
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erahmig View Post
Yeah, I didn't notice this either until I tried a Gato class sub.

And, it's not that I mind using the mouse wheel. It's just that for me scrolling via the mouse wheel is very slow. One full turn of the mouse wheel ends up turning the hydrophone only a small number of degrees.

If I want to do a full 360 degree sweep I feel like I'm turning the mouse wheel for hours . I'm obviously exaggerating but it's ... less than ideal.
I'm guessing you've tried clicking everywhere? I can confirm clicking works in my S-Boat in FotRSU, but that doesn't really help you. Have you tried moving the camera a bit? Sometimes the placement of the camera prevents you from interacting with things.

What mod are you playing with? You should be playing as far away from "vanilla" SH4 as possible. Vanilla SH4 is just awful in my not so humble opinion.
Old 05-11-19, 05:01 PM   #5
erahmig
Watch

Quote:
I'm guessing you've tried clicking everywhere?
Yes I have. Thank you for double-checking though. No matter where I click the mouse is captured and, after that, any subsequent mouse movement just moves the camera view instead of the hydrophone controls.

Quote:
What mod are you playing with?
I'm using GFO.

Here's the list of mods I have installed:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[d:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS]

1 Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1
2 New Orders Bar Menu
3 Bigger Better Protractors
4 SH4 Authentic Flags Mod
6 3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1600x)

Last edited by erahmig; 05-11-19 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-11-19, 05:27 PM   #6
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erahmig View Post
Yes I have. Thank you for double-checking though. No matter where I click the mouse is captured and, after that, any subsequent mouse movement just moves the camera view instead of the hydrophone controls.

I'm using GFO.

Here's the list of mods I have installed:
Code:
[d:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS]

1 Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1
2 New Orders Bar Menu
3 Bigger Better Protractors
4 SH4 Authentic Flags Mod
6 3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1600x)
When I get a second I'll test Gato in my set up. I'm sure she will have the same problem in FotRSU. Looks/sounds like a stock issue built into the game.
Old 05-11-19, 05:38 PM   #7
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

[C:\Games\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 - FotRSU\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.81_RC1_PublicBe ta_EN
KGBM Radio
KGMB Add On
BBC World
RadioStationManager
S-Boat Salmon Creak Fix -Personal Mod
Accurate Fleet Boats -Personal Mod
My Sounds Mod -Personal Mod

Odd. It must be a stock only issue. With my setup, loading into a single mission lets me click to move it. But CapnScurvy is a member of the FotRSU team, so it's logically to expect they have incorporated some of his fixes into their mod. I've heard they are somewhat close to a newer release version from their mod page.

I'd play through your current set up, then I might suggest trying out FotRSU as it seems to solve that issue. Of course that isn't all the mod does either.
Old 05-11-19, 06:06 PM   #8
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

In my stock 1.4 version I can click on the circle to move the pointer from S class to SARGO. Tambor or anything later it responds only to the scroll wheel.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-19, 06:18 PM   #9
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

And so the mystery continues. I have no idea what it is.
Old 05-11-19, 07:16 PM   #10
erahmig
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
In my stock 1.4 version I can click on the circle to move the pointer from S class to SARGO. Tambor or anything later it responds only to the scroll wheel.
I'm glad to hear that - not because I want you to have the same problem but because now I know I'm not the only one who experiences this. I always hate it when I'm the only one with a problem.

I'm on v1.5 and am still seeing the problem.

This must be the reason why CapnScurvy created those mods I referred to in the first post.

Just wish there was a version compatible with GFO. Ah well.
Old 05-11-19, 08:41 PM   #11
Sniper297
The Old Man

Well, for me it's not really a problem - SARGO has 8 tubes with a total of 22 fish, GAR/TAMBOR/GATO/BALAO have 10 tubes with a total of 24 fish. To me that doesn't seem like a significant improvement, SARGO has everything I need.

That said, I'm an old geezer with a lot of time on my hands anyway, so I'm currently downloading the OTC and GATO sonar fix mods, so I can take a squint to see if I can analyze the fix and figure out what GFO needs to fix it.

Back later.
Old 05-11-19, 09:52 PM   #12
erahmig
Watch

Quote:
That said, I'm an old geezer with a lot of time on my hands anyway, so I'm currently downloading the OTC and GATO sonar fix mods, so I can take a squint to see if I can analyze the fix and figure out what GFO needs to fix it.

Back later.
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar
Old 05-11-19, 10:11 PM   #13
Sniper297
The Old Man

Hmmm. Using an unmodified copy of SH4 1.4, tested GATO, confirmed clicking on hydrophone dial does nothing. Copied ONLY the NSS_Gato_CT.sim file into \Data\Interior\NSS_Gato\ folder, now it works the same way earlier subs do. Optical Targeting mod isn't necessary to make the dial work.

So copied then renamed his mod file to fixed.sim, copied and renamed the original to broke.sim, then opened both in S3D to compare them side by side.

Only thing I found was line 35 - it's labeled gyrocompass, should have nothing to do with sonar, except that the sonar dial has a gyrocompass repeater? Dunno, but in the original the dispval and realval have values of 0 and 360, he changed both to 360 and 360.

Okay, restore original backup, fire up game and confirm clicking on dial doesn't work, change the values in line 35 to match his, restart game, still doesn't work. Copied and pasted the mod file to overwrite my hacked original, works that way.

Obviously I'm missing a line other than line 35, NSS_Gato_CT.sim is the only file in the sonar fix mod.

For now I would suggest making a backup copy of NSS_Gato_CT.sim from GFO, copy the one from the sonar fix into the \Data\Interior\NSS_Gato\ folder and see if it breaks anything.
Old 05-12-19, 12:28 AM   #14
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

That process is the exact thing I did to solve the creaks not playing in S-Boat and Salmon class boats in the FotRSU. I essentially copied the stock file and replaced the one in the mod with it.

I'll have to check my mod to remember which file exactly I copied for them.

But the process of copying the unmodded file on top of the modded one is the same.

Last edited by Slyguy3129; 05-12-19 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-12-19, 01:40 AM   #15
erahmig
Watch

Quote:
For now I would suggest making a backup copy of NSS_Gato_CT.sim from GFO, copy the one from the sonar fix into the \Data\Interior\NSS_Gato\ folder and see if it breaks anything.
Quote:
That process is the exact thing I did to solve the creaks not playing in S-Boat and Salmon class boats in the FotRSU. I essentially copied the stock file and replaced the one I the mod with it.

I'll have to check my mod to remember which file exactly I copied for them.
I'm pretty sure I understand what you guys are saying. Thanks btw for all of your testing!

Since there are 2 versions of this mod which fix this problem, which version of the mod do y'all suggest I use to overwrite my game's current NSS_Gato_CT.sim? The stock sonar fix or the CTO sonar fix?

I'm guessing the stock one (based on what Slyguy3129 said), but I'm so new to modding this game that I need some help figuring this out ...