SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-09, 11:07 AM   #1
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Submarine Trivia

Ok, I will start and anyone that has new stuff please add on.

Which boat was credited with sinking three Japanese Submarines in WW2?

What was the Skippers name?

How long did it take to bag all three Submarines?

Where can this boat be seen today?
Old 04-06-09, 11:48 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Batfish, Captain John K Fyfe, 3 Japanese subs in three days, beginning on February 9, 1945. They were tipped by Ultra and sent to a spot for the specific purpose of nabbing a submarine. They paid off 3-1. http://www.subvetpaul.com/Saga_02_85.html thank you Paul Wittmer for preserving this irreplaceable website of the US Sub Vets of World War II.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 12:19 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Fyfe swung his glasses on the reported bearing and saw what the lookout was seeing: Japanese submarine, unobtrusive shears, very low in the water.

"She doesn't appear to be zigzagging, Captain," commented the exec.

"Radar bearing dead ahead, range one three double oh." sounded through the bridge speaker. A moment later, the range to the target was 1,200 yards. BATFISH was on a course for a ninety-degree starboard track. Fyfe had made up his mind to shoot when the gyro angles decreased ten more degrees to ten degrees left.
Holy cow! He's running the first case I can document of a Dick O'Kane type attack! Course 90º to the track, ten degree lead angle, most of the elements are there. That is entirely cool.

Notice that he's going to shoot 10º early because he, like me, really does not want to be spotted and every second of delay means another second for some sharp-eyed enemy lookout to ruin your day. He's also not running the Dick O'Kane technique as I teach it in the game because he's tracking the decreasing gyro angle. That is done with the help of the PK. But all the other elements are there!
Old 04-06-09, 05:51 PM   #4
Frame57
Sea Lord

Bravo on all questions. Your reward will now be to post the next trivia question.....
Old 04-06-09, 06:11 PM   #5
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frame57 View Post
Bravo on all questions. Your reward will now be to post the next trivia question.....
Quote:
Which boat was credited with sinking three Japanese Submarines in WW2?

What was the Skippers name?

How long did it take to bag all three Submarines?

Where can this boat be seen today?

Hold on there he didn't finish the answers. 4 question 3 right that is 75%, almost failed. Come on RR finish it.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-09, 06:42 PM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

We don't smoke mar-wana in Muskogee..... But we put submarines on dry land!

It was either that or import lake Michigan to Oklahoma.
Old 04-06-09, 06:53 PM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

OK, next trivia question. I'm going to keep this historical for now. Future victims can do as they please.

In 1944 a submarine was fired on from 9,000 yards by a Japanese destroyer. One shell landed in this submarine's wake, the other was a direct hit, holing the pressure hull and rendering the sub impossible to dive. After hightailing it out of there, this captain was ordered to abandon ship to another submarine. He unloaded his crew, but decided to personally disobey the order and attempt the trip back to base. So he led the other sub over 5 days and 2,000 miles, sucessfully returning the damaged goods to a waiting very unhappy admiral.

Time, both subs involved and name of captain please! Extra credit for the name of the admiral.

And a hint, an actual photo of the sub, showing the path of the dud 8" shell through the boat taken as she was landed at.....base. Hold it. I have to disguise the origin of that pic! A look at the URL would have spilled the beans for sure. OK, we're cloaked...

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 04-06-09 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 11:30 PM   #8
Frame57
Sea Lord

The boat was the Bergall and her Skipper was CDR J.M. Hyde. The other boat was the Angler. I am stumped on the Admiral so I have to guess Lockwood or Vogue.
Old 04-06-09, 11:55 PM   #9
Frame57
Sea Lord

That was a good one RR. I spent three hours reading Patrol logs to find it...I will cook up a good one for you guys. But I will see if anyone else wants to jump in beforehand.
Old 04-07-09, 06:58 AM   #10
breadcatcher101
Captain

Downloads: 1

I believe the Admiral was Christie.
breadcatcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 12:12 PM   #11
Frame57
Sea Lord

Which boat had the crew earned the nickname "Joe's Jugheads"?

What was this boats claim to fame in WW2?

What was this boats most successful post war contribution?
Old 04-07-09, 01:23 PM   #12
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Yes, Admiral Christie was the admiral and isn't that a remarkable story, with a DD firing two shots from 9,000 yards with one direct hit, luckily a dud, holing the pressure hull. Christie said "abandon ship" and Hyde said "no way!" His command survived the infraction.
Old 04-07-09, 01:34 PM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Joe's Jugheads was a dual purpose name, referring both to Joe Enright's crew and a wolfpack consisting of Archerfish (the only submarine ever renamed by its crew!), Batfish and Blackfish.

Joe was a hard-luck guy who felt so responsible for all his misses early in the war that he resigned his commission and took up a position on Admiral Lockwood's staff. Unfortunately, after the deed was done, he found out it wasn't his fault. Admiral Lockwood esteemed Joe so highly he wasn't willing to give up his services at Pearl and it looked like Joe had gone to sea for the last time. But by and by the Admiral relented, just as the USS Archerfish was coming available.

Joe wasn't too successful in Archerfish. Only sank one ship of any size at all. But you see Joe's luck had changed. His one decent success just happened to be the Japanese super-carrier Shinano. Even then his luck held and they cheated him out of half the true tonnage of his prize. After the penalty he still had the largest target of the war and it put him in the top ten tonnage producers of the war all by itself.

After the war, Archerfish's most successful production was its tour of the Pacific as the Playboys of the Pacific, sponsored by real Playboy bunnies and everything! They were giving goodwill tours everywhere and living the high life. So you KNOW that can't be the end of it. They were really performing sensitive top-secret Operation Sea Scan, the first detailed scientific survey of the underwater ocean environment. They had sophisticated gravitometers, salinity testers, magnetic anomoly testing, high voltage scientists... the job wasn't fun but their cover story was a blast!
Old 04-07-09, 05:03 PM   #14
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

OK, let me give it a whirl: In the movie "Destination Tokyo" starring Carey Grant, a crew member aboard the sub "USS Copperfin" comes down with an acute case of appendicitis and needs an emergency operation. The surgery was successfully performed by the Pharmacist Mate aboard. This movie event was copied from an actual case which happened aboard what submarine?
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 05:34 PM   #15
Frame57
Sea Lord

RR you are a wonder of knowledge. Bravo! Fish I am gonna be up tonight looking for this one...