SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-16, 05:38 AM   #1
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Hello gap,

if I am right, one of your questions remained unanswered.

I think, SH3 supports ambient occlusion OR normal/bump maps. There are some models with either ambient occlusion or normal channels but I am not aware of any with both ambient occlusion AND nomal maps. Some have ambinet occlusion and bump maps.

My suggestion, do only an ambient occlusion map. It works reasonably well.

Cheers
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-16, 11:02 AM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
Hello gap,

if I am right, one of your questions remained unanswered.

I think, SH3 supports ambient occlusion OR normal/bump maps. There are some models with either ambient occlusion or normal channels but I am not aware of any with both ambient occlusion AND nomal maps. Some have ambinet occlusion and bump maps.

My suggestion, do only an ambient occlusion map. It works reasonably well.

Cheers
Thank you very much for sheding some light on the topic, the_frog. All the models I worked on so far were for SH5, where the only limit is the extended data allowed by the granny file used as template for importing the new models.

As far as a GR2 file is in the correct format for accepting AO and/or normal maps, and a material with those maps is binded to a mesh subset, SH5's GFX engine will use them both automatically with no need of any extra controllers. Anyway I think there is a workaround to this SHIII limitation: I can create a not overlapping UV map for the diffuse channel, bake an AO map on it, and blend diffuse and ambient occlusion textures in one file; this way I will still be able to assign a normal map. I already used this method for SH5, mostly for small objects, when I didn't want to set secondary UV coordinates for the AO map, or when the GR2 file I was working on didn't support them. The only downside to this method, is that the diffuse texture needs to be bigger than usual, or the details painted on it will look blurry.

Talki
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 04:18 PM   #3
gap
Navy Seal

At last!

I finished modelling the squid laucher. Now it is time to unwrap it. Creating a good UV map can be a boring task, but it shouldn't take as long as the modelling part.

Last edited by gap; 05-05-20 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-12-16, 04:16 AM   #4
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Wow!

Great work, gap!!!!

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Mods for SH3
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 06:57 AM   #5
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 155

This is just perfect mate. Next part is the animation for the projectiles...
Fahnenbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 09:21 AM   #6
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 849

SSS
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-16, 10:37 AM   #7
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

The World According to Gap
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 04:48 PM   #8
gap
Navy Seal

Default Just a thought...

Today I was re-thinking about this mod and the way to bypass the limitations of the hedgehog controller that we need to use if we want the AI to fire the new weapon correctly.

What if add three dummy nodes to the launcher model (one for each of the three muzzles, each aligned with the main axis of its respective barrel) and we attach an individual wpn_Hedgehog controller to each of them? We could then equip the controllers with dummy and invisible hedgehog projectiles, and set the weapon to use a modified fire_effect particle generator which will spawn a motion-aligned squid projectile (as done for the AI torpedos). Given the different alignment of the three nodes, and by setting appropriately the starting velocity of each charge (this would require the use of three slightly different particle effects, one for each barrel/projectile), I think we could obtain a triangular lauch pattern ca. 250 m in front of the ship, similar to the one created by the real squids. By further fine-tuning DC's speed and the max_range and diameter properties of each contoller (but also the the fall_speed, detonate_depth and depth_precison of the dummy hedgehog and of the sqid projectiles are playing a role), we should get the weapon to score some hits.

Ideally the three controllers composing a "single squid unit" should fire at the same moment, and the squids should hit the water more or less in the same point and at the same time than their dummy counterparts. For this reason it could be handy setting the dummy hedgehogs as visible before release.

What do you think? Might it work?
Old 09-25-16, 02:38 PM   #9
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi gap,

it's great that you are still thinking about the mod!

I think your idea could work, however, you would still get 24 DCs per barrel.

The hedgehog controller always fires 24 times (i.e., 24 muzzle flashes, 24 sounds,...). At least I could never find a way to reduce this number and therefore, I could never have less than 24 objects spawned. I tried with random spawn rates,... but never succeeded

Best, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-16, 09:31 AM   #10
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
At last!

I finished modelling the squid laucher. Now it is time to unwrap it. Creating a good UV map can be a boring task, but it shouldn't take as long as the modelling part.
thats ,absolutelly, wonderfull work here

thank you Gap

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-16, 02:24 PM   #11
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi gap,

absolutely great work

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished launcher!

Best, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote