Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-08-13, 01:55 AM   #1
kg6eyr
Wheelchairing Weirdo

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0
Default Another Submariner Entering the Flotilla

Ahoy everyone!

I'm Max, but if there's any hams in the midst, you'll have no problem in figuring out my other moniker. Or, if you're like my family that doesn't know anything about amateur radio, my name, or "kegger" would also suffice. I'll leave it to personal discretion.

At any rate, I figure I ought to post here, instead of being my typical semi-anti-social self. In a nutshell, as I don't want to ramble on as if I'd been spending all night pub crawling just prior to deployment, I was born with cerebral palsy nearly 31 years ago, would have been in line with the Navy had it not been for my disability, and I'm no stranger whatsoever to naval simulations. Although, I do think my patience has diminished, along with some of my mathematics and reflexes...

I was introduced to the world of naval simulations by a little gem put out by Microprose in the 90's known as Task Force 1942, and actually before that there was a lovely little game on the NES called Silent Service. (If you haven't heard of it, I'd be really surprised.) Anyhow, I'm currently running SH3-5 (although 5 is quite choppy on this laptop. I've got a desktop, but other people are always using it, so yeah...) via Steam, and so far, I'm liking it far better than let's say Naval Assault on the Xbox 360. (Thank you, time compression!) I hate to admit it, but I'm one of those players that has a hard time waiting on targets, and there are times where I'll decide to do a whole mission restart because of a dud torpedo, or near miss. I've been perusing the mods, but since I'm confusing myself with JSGME and Steam, I might at least try to attempt a vanilla playthrough before modding. I've been known to mod before even trying a game out, so we'll see.

All hatches are secured, and the ship is rigged to dive. If anyone needs me, I'll be at my duty station, happily near the galley and coffee-maker.

73's,

kg6eyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 02:04 AM   #2
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

A very warm welcome to you sir!

Happy Hunting!
Old 06-08-13, 04:55 AM   #3
troopie
Captain

Downloads: 33

G'day Kegger!
Old 06-08-13, 04:58 AM   #4
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

welcome aboard
Old 06-08-13, 05:00 AM   #5
Valentino
Weps

Downloads: 26

Welcome kg6eyr !
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 05:05 AM   #6
kg6eyr
Wheelchairing Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
A very warm welcome to you sir!

Happy Hunting!
Thank you for the warm welcome! It's good to know that this gimpy Cap'n is welcomed with open arms!

Just a note for der Onkel: Despite being a new member and having a really limited, fixed-income, the dedication and activity I see here on the site impresses me quite a bit. I'm a member of a couple of online communities that have been around about as long as Subsims, so I'm fairly well-versed in what it takes to run a successful outfit like this. That being said, this disabled gamer plans to be tossing you a donation probably within the next month. It's not to gain a custom avatar, or even for the elevated or special permissions - but for the simple fact that when I see a heartfelt project like this, I feel it's worth it. (At least I'll feel tons better than I did when dropping $20 for Naval Assault...) Plus, with your Amazon commissions set up, it looks like I'll be buying my Anker power-brick, as well as some LED/EL lighting for my wheelchairs through it. When money isn't an issue, of course.

Now, I'll shut my trap before I ramble any further, and get back to killing time and frustration between SH3 and 4. Kinda makes me wish that WotP had a campaign and career akin to what's done in 3 and 5. I'd play the heck out of 5 if it wasn't so laggy on this laptop...

Rigging for silent running.

EDIT: And a thank you to all the others who posted while I took my sweet ol' time writing this post! Here I was thinking that out of all the people online, not a single other person was going to reply. Serves me a good slice of humble pie, eh? *lol*

SH4 Current Status Report: Sub School 4/5 - Convoy Attack WIP - Pre-Pearl Harbor Career

SH5 Current Status Report: Patrol 1.5: British Supplies: 22 Sunk - Total Tonnage: 125462 - Post British Coastal Waters
Old 06-08-13, 08:25 AM   #7
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Welcome to SubSim kg6eyr.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 09:04 AM   #8
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6eyr View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome! It's good to know that this gimpy Cap'n is welcomed with open arms!
Hey. It's a friendly community. Everybody welcomes new members with open arms

Quote:
Now, I'll shut my trap before I ramble any further, and get back to killing time and frustration between SH3 and 4. Kinda makes me wish that WotP had a campaign and career akin to what's done in 3 and 5. I'd play the heck out of 5 if it wasn't so laggy on this laptop...
SH4 has many great mods that fix the campaign that IMHO is better than SH3.
Old 06-08-13, 10:01 AM   #9
von Kinderei
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 150

Wel-come aboard Kaleun ...
Old 06-08-13, 10:47 AM   #10
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

Welcome to subsim
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 11:21 AM   #11
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Welcome Aboard!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 12:46 PM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Welcome. Enter freely, and of your own will.
Old 06-08-13, 05:06 PM   #13
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3222

Welcome aboard!!!

I'm playing SH3 and SH4. Both, with the mods created by very talented modders of this community, are very very nice games.

Enjoy the site and remember: SINK' EM ALL!!!

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 05:25 PM   #14
kg6eyr
Wheelchairing Weirdo

(Pardon my Deutschsprechen. It's been ages since I've practiced it, and I'm worse off than a green-behind-the-gills SR from the backwoods of Kentucky that's gone overboard and washed up along the shores of the Rhine...)

Danke schön, meine Kollegen und Korvettenkapitäne und Kapitänleutnante! Möge unsere glückliche Zeiten ohne Hindernis fortsetzenund das Meer unserem Guide zu sein!

At the moment, I'm taking the desktop rig out on a shakedown cruise for SH5, just to see if it performs better. If it does, I think I'll go ahead and restart career mode. Afterall, I always love getting better scores.

So far, I might have to restart the Pre-Pearl Harbor campaign in SH4, just because I couldn't find the IJN Task Force, NW of Oahu. Of all things, there was a storm about, and if I wasn't mistaken, it was more like an Atlantic squall, and not some Pacific monsoon. Either way, never did find the convoy. Makes me wonder how the AI managed to fly through that driving rain and pea-soup top-cover...

I don't have the specs nearby, but for the time being, I'm relegated to using my laptop for playing, at least until I can move the desktop and connect it to my wireless network. (Hard to believe, but I get way better speed on my wi-fi than I do on my hard-wire.) That said, it looks like it's mostly SH3-4. Which mods would you all recommend? I'm looking for something a bit 'easier' than what standard low gives, or at least helps walk me through proper auto-and-manual TDC usage. What can I say? I tend to crank up the time-comp, mostly because I can't stand letting her run at 1x for twenty minutes hunting for contacts. Well, I can if I'm not distracted...

Basically, I'm looking more for the single-player epic campaign (not Elite in difficulty, but I'd like to be able to crank up the renown once and again to get new boats and promos. I've heard it's doable in 3, but not 4. Correct me if I'm mistaken, please.) that if I don't TARFU my ship and get deep-sixed during the campaign, would span from the beginning to end, and keep at least some historical accuracy. Afterall, isn't it just shoddy to be assigned a matching name and registry number, only to find out that in history, that particular vessel is already reefing it up in Davy Jones' locker?

I'll be sure to update my findings about my desktop though.

Before I forget, it's not that I don't know the tactics, but I'm having a hell of a time on the torpedo and convoy exam/sub school in 3 and 4, respectively. Any pointers would greatly be appreciated, and heeded to the best of my ability.

Also, just because I find it oddly funny, one of my ex's has a father who was a COB on a Boomer, turned hippie/Dead-head truck driver. I knew I was in for it when he poured me a snifter of Single Barrel, and passed me a joint. Imagine the scuttlebutt I had to endure...

SH4 Current Status Report: Sub School 4/5 - Convoy Attack WIP - Pre-Pearl Harbor Career

SH5 Current Status Report: Patrol 1.5: British Supplies: 22 Sunk - Total Tonnage: 125462 - Post British Coastal Waters
Old 06-08-13, 08:48 PM   #15
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6eyr View Post
(Hard to believe, but I get way better speed on my wi-fi than I do on my hard-wire.)
Upgrade the cable.