SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-26-15, 08:09 AM   #1606
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Saw The Martian yesterday. I liked it overall, though I think Scott missed an opportunity to make it even better. If the Earth scenes would have been removed and the whole movie would have taken place on Mars until the very end, him being completely alone would have worked better.

Good examples of this formula are Cast Away and Moon.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-15, 09:31 AM   #1607
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I watched Joyeux Noël last night. Made in 2005, it's a highly fictionalized telling of the 1914 Christmas Truce. Made-up characters aside, it does recount many of the real events of that historic moment. Extremely well made and acted by a cast of mostly unknowns, and everyone speaking their own language (English, French and German), I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 12-26-15, 09:36 AM   #1608
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Saw The Martian yesterday. I liked it overall, though I think Scott missed an opportunity to make it even better. If the Earth scenes would have been removed and the whole movie would have taken place on Mars until the very end, him being completely alone would have worked better.

Half the book takes place on Earth, the rescue operations, preparation, mutiny...
The best thing about the book was reading how the rescue operations were handled.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-15, 09:48 AM   #1609
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post

But Cast Away didn't take place solely on the island, nor was he alone all the time?
Old 12-26-15, 10:09 AM   #1610
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
But Cast Away didn't take place solely on the island, nor was he alone all the time?
He was alone on the island and during that, we didn't see anything of the outside world.

@Betonov: Haven't read the book, so I can't comment much on that. I just thought it would have had more of an impact if not much of the rescue attempts were shown and instead we would've learned about them through the messages.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-15, 06:28 PM   #1611
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Just watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey oh dear what went wrong?

Why was The Hobbit a single book made into three films? Clearly Peter Jackson milked this one on the back of TLOTR three books which were made into three films and so he did again with a single book! Way too long and drawn out in parts and I was left with a bitter taste in my mouth. I find it hard to bother with parts two and three when they arrive on TV as I just don't give a toss to care.

What a massive let down this was.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-15, 09:08 PM   #1612
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Just watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey oh dear what went wrong?

Why was The Hobbit a single book made into three films? Clearly Peter Jackson milked this one on the back of TLOTR three books which were made into three films and so he did again with a single book! Way too long and drawn out in parts and I was left with a bitter taste in my mouth. I find it hard to bother with parts two and three when they arrive on TV as I just don't give a toss to care.

What a massive let down this was.
Not a Hobbit fan myself, but the above illustrates just what a "no-win" situation adapting a book, particularly a very popular book, to film really is; if Jackson had made a single film and lopped off or compressed parts of the book to keep a single film adaptation manageable, there would be other Ring fans complaining and saying it should have been made into a multi-part adaptation. I really do feel sorry for the director or screenwriter faced with any popular book adaptation: ya just can't win for losing...

<O>
Old 12-29-15, 07:08 AM   #1613
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Not a Hobbit fan myself, but the above illustrates just what a "no-win" situation adapting a book, particularly a very popular book, to film really is; if Jackson had made a single film and lopped off or compressed parts of the book to keep a single film adaptation manageable, there would be other Ring fans complaining and saying it should have been made into a multi-part adaptation. I really do feel sorry for the director or screenwriter faced with any popular book adaptation: ya just can't win for losing...

<O>
Read the comments on amazon, Hobbit fans are going nuts telling people don't buy the box set and wait for the extended box set, what more!

No thank you.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-15, 10:17 AM   #1614
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

There's a guy out there who made what he calls "The Tolkien Cut". He edited out everything that wasn't in the book. It's about the length of two movies that way.
Old 12-29-15, 04:47 PM   #1615
Betonov
Navy Seal

Someone should make a Weir cut on the Martian. So much good stuff from the book was cut. About 4 hours of movie time.

I mean, they left out the duct tape quote, the bloody duct tape quote

How the hell can you leave out the duct tape quote out of a movie based on a book that's a love story to duct tape.

And sooooo much detail how he made things, how he made compost, how he jerry rigged the rover etc.

And a lot of the humor that really shined in the book was also gone. Gems like this

So much left out.

But I still loved it

Last edited by Betonov; 12-29-15 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-29-15, 04:59 PM   #1616
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betonov View Post
Someone should make a Weir cut on the Martian. So much good stuff from the book was cut. About 4 hours of movie time.

I mean, they left out the duct tape quote, the bloody duct tape quote

How the hell can you leave out the duct tape quote out of a movie based on a book that's a love story to duct tape.

And sooooo much detail how he made things, how he made compost, how he jerry rigged the rover etc.

So much left out.

But I still loved it
So, basically, you're saying they should have made a multi-part movie...

The whole "keep it in, take it out" problem with adaptations is one reason why more and more such stories are now going to the cable/web limited series method of presentation such as was done with "The Man In The High Castle". The real downside is, for some of the more 'epic' type stories, the impact of the big screen theater experience is lost. Again, the dichotomy of maintaining faithfulness to the original story versus the technical and marketing limitations of film production...

<O>
Old 12-29-15, 05:09 PM   #1617
Betonov
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
So, basically, you're saying they should have made a multi-part movie...
A miniseries would be nice.
But also hard to watch for some, Andy Weir really goes into details.
He explains why he can't regrow potatoes, how can he make compost despite some biological issues, the calculation on how much water he needs per plant and step by step how he made his water making device...
Old 12-29-15, 07:40 PM   #1618
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betonov View Post
A miniseries would be nice.
But also hard to watch for some, Andy Weir really goes into details.
Details is exactly why the movie was the way it was. It wasn't that so much that irritated me so much as there were some changes completely from what the book did...but in the big picture most were relatively minor.

I loved it but saw room for improvement.
Old 12-29-15, 08:38 PM   #1619
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I watched Joyeux Noël last night. Made in 2005, it's a highly fictionalized telling of the 1914 Christmas Truce. Made-up characters aside, it does recount many of the real events of that historic moment. Extremely well made and acted by a cast of mostly unknowns, and everyone speaking their own language (English, French and German), I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I liked that movie as well and watched a second time.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-15, 07:49 AM   #1620
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Wrap out the holiday season with the best Christmas movie of all time!!!
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
films, movie, movies