SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-08-08, 07:54 PM   #571
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr
Sorry to here about the **** you're going through right now, OLC. Nothing I can say or do can alleviate that but I want to say thanks for this mod of yours. It's your MOD combined GWX that keeps me playing SH3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Enemy ships definitely get better at spotting you as the war progresses. Still in March 1941, I just tried a surface attack in clear, calm weather, at the darkest time of the night. I was spotted at 3km! Those ships certainly aren't "blind" in OLCE2 by any measure. I'm thinking this level of night visibility is about right, no? :hmm:
What speed were you traveling? It's hard to find concrete data on stuff like this so were left with first hand accounts of night time surface attacks by ex submariners. In Iron Wolves, Herbert Werner writes about coming within several hundred meters of an unsuspecting target early in the war. Edward Beach writes similarly about up close and personal attacks in pitch darkness although a foamy wake from high speed runs could easily give you away if you an astute watch crew on the target ship.
The conditions were: 0m/s wind speed, excellent visibility (16km). From what I know about sensors, this is when you are most easily detected. My speed was quite fast, around 15kts - again, that makes you easier to detect. Finally, I was fully surfaced (not decks awash). Basically I wanted to see whether they'd see me or not, and they did. I know I could have gotten closer by going slow and decks awash, but I won't know how much closer until I try it. I'll keep posting reports.
Old 05-08-08, 07:56 PM   #572
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

I've done some reading on night surface attacks. Apparently, entire wolfpacks would perform co-ordinated attacks on the surface at night. Given that only one of them would need to be spotted in order to put the enemy on high-alert, I'd say that's a good indication that subs were very hard to spot indeed at night.

Hitman once read an account of a u-boat crew being able to hear the conversation among the crew on a target ship during a surface attack, they were that close.
Old 05-08-08, 08:03 PM   #573
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Quote:
Enemy ships definitely get better at spotting you as the war progresses. Still in March 1941, I just tried a surface attack in clear, calm weather, at the darkest time of the night. I was spotted at 3km! Those ships certainly aren't "blind" in OLCE2 by any measure. I'm thinking this level of night visibility is about right, no? :hmm:
Sincerely ?
I absolutely do not know.
Why ?
Simply because I've not sailed at the darkest time of the night trying to spot anything.
I think you better ask this question to a man who could give you a proper answer... If I am not mistaken, I've seen a few posts from Bill Nichols saying that he served on a submarine some time ago. :hmm:

@ Bill : Excuse me if I'm wrong, the posts I'm speaking about have been posted more than a year ago... And I sincerely apologise if I'm mistaken.

Also, @ OLC : Here's wishing you'll get RL things sorted soon...
Thanks Alex.
About the sensors... when I said "enemy ships get better at spotting" I meant in SH3, not RL. This, I assume, is because "use crew efficiency" is set to TRUE in the visual sensors section of sensors.cfg. The reason I mentioned it at all is that I've tested enemy ship night-time spotting in 1939 and found them to be almost completely blind, and reported it here. I'm just trying to let people know what to expect from night-time sensors in OLCE2. It's really as much of a voyage of discovery for me as for anyone here, but if people can agree that daytime sensors are now the same as GWX, and night-time sensors are at least a step in the right direction compared to GWX, then I'll be happy. Originally I didn't want to affect sensors at all with this mod, but, well... things didn't go that way... but if I can make it so the changes are for the better, overall, and not for the worse, then it'll be something I can call a feature and not a bug....

Edit: Ooops, I re-read your post and understood it better the second time.
Yes, maybe I'll ask Bill. Thanks!
Old 05-08-08, 08:11 PM   #574
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

Right, mate !
You've done your best until now... And deserve to find compromise between night and daytime sensors.
Best of luck to you, my friend.

Old 05-08-08, 08:19 PM   #575
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
RDP, this is "above bar"!? Christ, I thought I was acting like a... well lets just say my recent behaviour hasn't been what I would have liked it to be.
I did say overall, not all

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 08:22 PM   #576
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
...Best of luck to you ...
Echo that, hang in there OLC, best wishes.

Just put on 2.1 btw, it's top notch .
Old 05-08-08, 08:22 PM   #577
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallydedpoet
Quote:
RDP, this is "above bar"!? Christ, I thought I was acting like a... well lets just say my recent behaviour hasn't been what I would have liked it to be.
I did say overall not all

RDP
lol, okay, fair enough
Old 05-08-08, 08:40 PM   #578
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
I'm not a public service.

Bug reports and constructive criticism are still welcome and I'll try not to bite the head off people for it. That's the best I can do at the moment.
Man I though I had it bad...

OLC stay strong. No matter how bad it looks... fight it. Survive what ever way you need to do to keep your family going. I know how you feel. I was sweating a few years ago too. My wife and I had to fight the Provincial government on a service they provided for disabled people with new borns, because they wanted to can the service a few years later to save money. My wife is diabled and my daughter at almost 2 years old had a blood conditions that made her weak to fight infections that common cold could kill her.

So they tried everything in there power to stop the service an force put my daughter into a day care with other children, because they didn't believe my wife could raise her. Also with the blood condition my daughter had at the time if she got sick... well I and my wife wasn't going to loose our miracle child. There service agents I like to call them profiled us daily and tested our child and us... For 3 years we were threatened, probed and treated like cattle. They even threatened to take our child away by force if things didn't look good on paper. There where many night I didn't sleep because I was scared who would be bashing my door. I informed my entire family the possiblity of leaving the country just encase we got a whiff of bad thing to come. We had a few friend inside the system that would warn us if it got bad.

In the end it wasn't I or my wife or friend or family that help win the battle. It was my daughter proving us all wrong. Some how at her early age she put on a the best show ever and shut those morons up. She learnt and adapted faster than thought possible for her age all on her own. She knew somehow?:hmm:
3 years we finally kicked them out and I told them choice words for there wonder ful services. We had a clear perfect record with them. But we had to fight for our lives. For my family.

OLC fight don't give up. In your own world you will find the light. Believe in yourself and those who care for you. You will win.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. Your not the only one who has issues

And thats only a battle in life's war.

Peace

WH
Old 05-08-08, 10:39 PM   #579
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

WH, thanks for the words of support and I'm glad to hear things ended up okay for you guys.
Old 05-08-08, 11:22 PM   #580
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Downloads: 7

Dear OLC,

Take all the time you need for RL issues. We can wait (gasp)!

Take care.

Subtype Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 12:07 AM   #581
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtype Zero
Dear OLC,

Take all the time you need for RL issues. We can wait (gasp)!

Take care.
Thanks. I don't want to take time off from modding, I just felt an explanation for my recent ... temper ... was in order.

Thanks for the words of support from all who gave them, but I'm a bit embarrassed now, so lets get back to the thread topic.

I'm releasing 2.1.1 today.

I've done some research (that means Googling) into underwater viewing distances. The furthest distance I've yet seen for underwater visibility is 70m, with 40m being a more realistic maxiumum in clear water. On the lower end of the scale, visibility can be as little as 1m in dirty water. I also watched several YouTube scuba dive videos and judging by those I'd say that a 40-70m maxiumum does look about right. I've therefore tweaked the underwater fogging effect to give a visibility distance of 50m (it was 150m before - I thought I had changed it to 500 but I'd changed only one of the two settings, oops) and increased the minimum fog amount to make the water look a bit murkier.

Since we don't have HDR in SH3 I've retained the darkish underwater look, otherwise it looks silly when water washes over the scope.

Here's a screen. It's still WIP, some small issues to fix.

I've also been tweaking OLC Realistic Map Contacts modlet, this time the hydrophone contacts. In 2.1.1 warship contacts are now indicated by red lines (like in stock - I've no idea why that was removed, since your sonarman can easily tell the difference) and I've made the lines a bit fuzzier and wider-spaced so that it's harder to tell exact distances. Here's another screenshot.
Old 05-09-08, 03:29 AM   #582
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfon
Another question to bother you with...
In case one wants to deactivate te OLCU ; should he replace the U-boat folder with the original one? I'm reffering to SH3Cmdr of course.
No you don't need to do anything with SH3C. The OLC U-boat files won't be used when you're not using OLC GUI.
Thanks for the reply.
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 08:20 AM   #583
NAZ2222
Seaman

Downloads: 25

OLC, I hope you can resolve your situation for the better soon! In fact I'm experiencing a similar time, currently my father is unemployed and my mother's shop it's not doing that well. I'm on the 3rd year of environmental engineering and I cant tell if will be able to fininsh it! Sometimes playing SH3 with your mod, is the only way I can blow off some steam!

About your new underwater update, it looks really good, and I wondered if it would be possible, to creat a effect like particles(mud, algae) in suspension on the water?
that should raise even more the realism of the game

Stay strong in there
NAZ2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 12:23 AM   #584
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

I'm sorry to hear that, Naz. Best of luck to you and yours, too.

Particles underwater... definitely out-of-scope, at least for the moment. It's the sort of thing that might be possible, but it would be a lot of effort (for me) for a little gain.
Old 05-10-08, 01:11 AM   #585
mainexpress
Ensign

Downloads: 292

Quote:
In my current career it's March 1941. Playing GWX 2.1 + OLCU 2.1 I came across a large British convoy in unfavourable weather: broad daylight, no clouds, excellent visibility (16km), wind speed 0m/s. I could have waited for night time (or for the weather to change) but the convoy had been making frequent zigzags and this was the first time I'd managed to get into a firing position without it changing course before I could attack. I therefore decided to attack the left flank at long range.

I recorded it, and I'm posting the video in defiance of anyone who says the new attack scope isn't usable.

OLCU Convoy Attack March 1941
Hi OLC thanks for explaining the depth procedure in high seas,and that tutorial video helps me out alot,I can get an idea now how to attack a convoy,because im playing your mods with 100% realisim now,and manual targeting,having a blast with SH3 now,its like a whole new game for me.I still need alot of practice yet with my shots.Man you sure now how to plot on that nav map...lol. I need to learn more about the plotting tools,and how to use them properly.I downloaded both of your tutorial videos,and been watching them over and over to learn.I need to understand those speed charts too,im sure that would help me.Quick question, how do you set the depth on the torps,for different ships?,do you go by the draft measurements?
mainexpress is offline   Reply With Quote