SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-13, 01:11 PM   #1
Jonny-Dog
Sailor man

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] JayJay's Hydrophone Fix v1.0

JayJay's Hydrophone Fix

First of all:
This mod is based on Xrundel's "R.E.M_by_Xrundel_TheBeast_1.2 - no hyd on surface - NewUIs-IRAI compatible".
I have just edited some of the values in his mod to correct some issues that bugged me.
Credits should go to Xrundel and TheBeast for their work.

This mod corrects the absence of hydrophone sound at periscope depth when using the KDB type hydrophone. In R.E.M.'s version, no sound can be heard above 16 meters. I have changed it to 10 meters.
It is even worse when using "R.E.M_by_Xrundel_TheBeast_1.2" (not the "no hyd" version); no sound is heard above 27 meters.

I have made 3 different version of this fix. Use the one you like better:
  • JayJays Hydrophone Fix v1.0: KDB hydrophone working at periscope depth up to 10 meters. GHG hydrophone works on the surface too, which i believe is historical correct.
  • JayJays Hydrophone Fix v1.0 - No hyd on surface: KDB hydrophone working at periscope depth up to 10 meters. GHG hydrophone is working up to 7 meters.
  • JayJays Hydrophone Fix v1.0 - KDB on surface: Both KDB and GHG hydrophone is working on the surface. I have heard someone say the KDB was an addition to the GHG. This should simulate the sub equipped with both systems.

All other data is the same as in "R.E.M_by_Xrundel_TheBeast_1.2 - no hyd on surface - NewUIs-IRAI compatible".

You can apply this mod any time (JSGME compatible).

Download here: JayJays Hydrophone Fix v1.0.rar

Last edited by Jonny-Dog; 03-20-13 at 01:34 PM.
Jonny-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 01:50 PM   #2
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 77

KDB does work in conjunction with the GHG...but not on the surface. I don't know the specs on the GHG's ability to be used on the surface....tho I would suspect it would be less effective then being deeper....which I dont think is modeled. The KDB is sticking out of the deck (read: above water) while the sub is surfaced (you can see it rotating on forward of the bridge whiled on the surface (should be stowed), while the GHG was a series of microphones build into the side of the boat...under the waterline (on the surface)...hence it's ability to 'hear' while on the surface.

Thank you for MODing this ...as it was annoying the hell out of me.
finchOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 02:30 PM   #3
keysersoze
Ensign

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchOU View Post
KDB does work in conjunction with the GHG...but not on the surface. I don't know the specs on the GHG's ability to be used on the surface....tho I would suspect it would be less effective then being deeper....which I dont think is modeled. The KDB is sticking out of the deck (read: above water) while the sub is surfaced (you can see it rotating on forward of the bridge whiled on the surface (should be stowed), while the GHG was a series of microphones build into the side of the boat...under the waterline (on the surface)...hence it's ability to 'hear' while on the surface.
I don't think the regular GHG had the ability to detect contacts while surfaced. Rössler says the GHG could detect single ships at 20 km and convoys at 100 km with "crude" bearing accuracy. However, when he describes the Balkon Gerat (the improved GHG in balcony arrangement), he says this:

Quote:
At the beginning of 1943, an attempt was made with a Type IXC boat to determine whether receivers set lower down would be more effective and whether listening would be possible in a surfaced boat. Initially, the receivers were simply built into the ballast keel, which was made somewhat wider at this point, but subsequently 2 x 24 receivers were collected into a special gondola (balcony) in front of the keel. This arrangement proved extraordinarily successful, and critical bearings could be obtained from all directions with the exception of an angled segment aft of 150-210 deg. (p. 144).
If my reading is correct, one of the reasons for developing the Balkon Gerat was to allow U-boats to use their hydrophones on the surface. The implication is that the original GHG could not do this.

I have not looked into hydrophones extensively, so if anyone has contradictory information, I would be very interested in it.
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 02:49 PM   #4
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker68 View Post
First of all:
This mod is based on Xrundel's "R.E.M_by_Xrundel_TheBeast_1.2 - no hyd on surface - NewUIs-IRAI compatible".
Quote:
Originally Posted by poker68 View Post
It is even worse when using "R.E.M_by_Xrundel_TheBeast_1.2" (not the "no hyd" version); no sound is heard above 27 meters.
It's veeery interesting.. I've never seen this version in the original mod by Xrundel&TheBeast

What do you think Gabriele?

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 02:55 PM   #5
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
If my reading is correct, one of the reasons for developing the Balkon Gerat was to allow U-boats to use their hydrophones on the surface. The implication is that the original GHG could not do this.
Interesting....Thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-13, 06:11 PM   #6
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Just a couple of remarks:

1. There is an obvious reason for the KDB not being able to detect contacts on surface: being placed on deck, its sensors stickyied out of the water surface at that depth; it meant no reception at all. As for GHG and Balkon Gerat, they were basically the same device, and their sensors were mounted on each side of the boat's bow, near or below the keel. Due to their position, they were always submerged. Still, the interference created by waves made GHG's use model ponitless on surface, as its sensor were very sensitive to any source of noise, both internal or external. One of my sources (http://www.cdvandt.org/GHG1996.pdf), reports a minimal depth of 20 m for a good hydrophone reception. On the other hand, the Balkon apparatus introduced several improvements:
  • being mounted inside a special hull, below boat's keel, balcony hydrophones were maintained at a 2.5 m lower level and thus were less vulnerable to many sorts of hampering interference;
  • Improved electronics and doubled number of sensor, made the new device ore sensitive and lesser subject to interference.

2. At close range, the KDB had a better detection accuracy over the GHG . This was at the cost of an extremely reduced range and to an even more prononced susceptibility to noise sources. For the above reasons, the KDB was never used as a standalone device, but rather coupled with the GHG.
I ignore if the same can be done with SH5 upgrades. If not, KDB sensors settings should be tweaked to simulate the simultaneous use of a GHG, or selecting it as U-boat upgrade would be pointless.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 08:26 PM   #7
keysersoze
Ensign

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Just a couple of remarks:

1. There is an obvious reason for the KDB not being able to detect contacts on surface: being placed on deck, its sensors stickyied out of the water surface at that depth; it meant no reception at all. As for GHG and Balkon Gerat, they were basically the same device, and their sensors were mounted on each side of the boat's bow, near or below the keel. Due to their position, they were always submerged. Still, the interference created by waves made GHG's use model ponitless on surface, as its sensor were very sensitive to any source of noise, both internal or external. One of my sources (http://www.cdvandt.org/GHG1996.pdf), reports a minimal depth of 20 m for a good hydrophone reception. On the other hand, the Balkon apparatus introduced several improvements:
  • being mounted inside a special hull, below boat's keel, balcony hydrophones were maintained at a 2.5 m lower level and thus were less vulnerable to many sorts of hampering interference;
  • Improved electronics and doubled number of sensor, made the new device ore sensitive and lesser subject to interference.

2. At close range, the KDB had a better detection accuracy over the GHG . This was at the cost of an extremely reduced range and to an even more prononced susceptibility to noise sources. For the above reasons, the KDB was never used as a standalone device, but rather coupled with the GHG.
I ignore if the same can be done with SH5 upgrades. If not, KDB sensors settings should be tweaked to simulate the simultaneous use of a GHG, or selecting it as U-boat upgrade would be pointless.
Very clear explanations. Thanks gap
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-13, 12:37 AM   #8
finchOU
Samurai Navy

^^^^what he said^^^^
Old 03-21-13, 01:38 AM   #9
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

thankyou for the mod , 3 options
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-13, 10:48 AM   #10
arnahud2
Frogman

Downloads: 724

Thanks a lot for this mod, i will test it asap. Meanwhile :

arnahud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-13, 08:07 PM   #11
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Can you upload it on other site than this crappy one please?
Plenty others without having to create account!...or no one will get it.
Old 03-21-13, 09:05 PM   #12
Jonny-Dog
Sailor man

Downloads: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Can you upload it on other site than this crappy one please?
Plenty others without having to create account!...or no one will get it.
I don't think you have to create an account in order to download the file. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to download without an account, you have to wait 20 seconds.

If anyone with access would upload it here to Subsim's download, that's ok with me.

J.J.
Jonny-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-13, 10:39 PM   #13
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Sorry, but i wait and nothing...Tried many times, but same.
Yes, better would be on Subsim, or either on mediafire (easy download)...

Tags
hydrophone