SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-14, 07:59 PM   #1
CptGlub
Mate

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0
Default Ctrl + N To Clear Weather Is Bad

Nearly two years into the war and I get 5 straight weeks of rain and heavy fog at guam. Each and every time I surfaced it was pouring rain and I could maybe see 50yds. After being far more patient with it than it deserved, I figured it was a bug and went searching for solutions. Several sources on web say ctrl + n will clear the weather. Problem is that it clears the weather for the player but leaves the AI wallowing in the same dismal weather the player escaped. I know this because a warship guarding guam from off shore sat still without turning a screw while I pumped 3 torps into a freighter moored at the docks. There is no way he could not have seen the fire if he had the same weather that I did. Had one torp left and decided to take a pot shot at the warship. I figured as soon as the torp left the tube he'd bug out. Nope. From a long, long ways away my shot got him and sank him. At the very last second he fired up the engines and tried to move but it was too late. My victory celebration was cut short when I realized that he had behaved as if his visual range was still subject to bad weather. So...the short story is that while ctrl+n solves the immediate problem, it screws up the campaign. I also experienced weird weather anomalies after ctrl+n like rain falling from clear skies. Is there another way to change the weather but really change it so that all the elements of the game see the same weather? I'm running the latest version of TMO. Thanks
CptGlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 06:35 AM   #2
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

I recall reading that the weather engine "breaks" at higher than 2048 time compression.
Long periods of high TC lead to weather anomalies and never ending awful weather.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 11:17 AM   #3
Lexandro
Navy Dude

Downloads: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427 View Post
I recall reading that the weather engine "breaks" at higher than 2048 time compression.
Long periods of high TC lead to weather anomalies and never ending awful weather.
I use high compression a fair amount and can confirm that the weather indeed does go wonky when you run the game this way. Basically your running the game so fast that it cant change weather patterns properly in the time it has. This usally results in endless fogs or flat calm weather that stays for weeks. If you use the reset weather command, do it when no AI ships are in the area.
Lexandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 06:08 PM   #4
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Never had this issue with TMO for years running high compression, etc. The only weather changes I've ever seen are when weather changes, may get some mild rain with the sun out, but it last less than a minute....

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 06:50 PM   #5
Lexandro
Navy Dude

Well ive never actually used TMO itself, but with both real enviroments and improved stock enviroments mods I have had weather weirdness at 4xxx or higher. Including the weather going from flat calm perfect weather to heavy fog & fully overcast thunder storms in a hour of in game time.
Old 09-02-14, 07:10 PM   #6
CptGlub
Mate

Downloads: 76

Thanks for the responses. I find this a bit disturbing since an accidental acceleration of time to 2048 can be a common occurrence.
CptGlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 07:30 PM   #7
Kermit the Frog
Seaman

Downloads: 150

I used to use not more than 512x TC. I've never had weather problems.
Kermit the Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 09:00 PM   #8
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexandro View Post
Well ive never actually used TMO itself, but with both real enviroments and improved stock enviroments mods I have had weather weirdness at 4xxx or higher. Including the weather going from flat calm perfect weather to heavy fog & fully overcast thunder storms in a hour of in game time.
The weather transitions do happen very fast because it works based basically on a switch rather than a timed transition. However, rarely do you happen to catch a weather transition. The danger you have to watch for is being in a storm close to the enemy and thinking you're OK and in TC or watching the map and the weather clears and you're dead....

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Old 09-03-14, 11:36 AM   #9
Lexandro
Navy Dude

Yeah I figured the transition wasnt "staggered" but even still the change mentioned was extremely abrupt. One thing I have noticed is that all the different weather and environment mods have way way too much fog. Fog is a rarish occurance at sea, strong winds and storms are far more common. But with every enviro mod fog springs up every few days. Is there a probability factor for fog that I cant change to reduce its occurrences? Its a little stupid when fog is more frequent than rain.
Old 09-03-14, 02:51 PM   #10
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Yeah I figured the transition wasnt "staggered" but even still the change mentioned was extremely abrupt. One thing I have noticed is that all the different weather and environment mods have way way too much fog. Fog is a rarish occurance at sea, strong winds and storms are far more common. But with every enviro mod fog springs up every few days. Is there a probability factor for fog that I cant change to reduce its occurrences? Its a little stupid when fog is more frequent than rain.

i haven't in files in forever, but it would be somewhere in the scene.dat. If you play with it, make sure you use a copy from the mod you're using, such as real env or change it within that mod....Always best to make a copy and make your own changes and test...and lot quicker to load

Old 09-03-14, 03:15 PM   #11
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

After using TC, if my crew don't have their rain-gear on and it is raining, I'll hit Ctrl-N. Usually I don't have problems with the weather, however I don't go into the high TC numbers either.

Enroute to the PZ from Pearl/Midway I usually listen to a radio show on the gramophone... easier to swap them out than edit the radio files. Right now I'm listening to old episodes of Gunsmoke, not historically accurate but good nevertheless.
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 03:36 PM   #12
Lexandro
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
i haven't in files in forever, but it would be somewhere in the scene.dat. If you play with it, make sure you use a copy from the mod you're using, such as real env or change it within that mod....Always best to make a copy and make your own changes and test...and lot quicker to load
Yeah I have had a look around scene.dat with silent 3ditor but for the life of me I cant work out what the variables are and what they control. I was hoping it was a simple % chance variable or somesuch that could be tweaked. I dont want to mess around with the actual data chunks for the weather (because as I said i don't know what they do), just reduce the chances of fog.

Does anyone happen to have a link to a rough guide or similar for scene.dat editing?
Old 09-07-14, 04:42 PM   #13
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Never saw a weather issue with time compression no matter what mod I used. TMO, RSRD, OM, Traveller ... they all work fine with TC and never a weather issue.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
RFB_2.0
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010
RSRDC_RFB_V575
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Ship Physics_1.1
Real Subs
EAXsoundsim_without_WebstersManeuver_STOCK_GFO_OM

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 03:37 AM   #14
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Are you using the latest version of RFB? I seem to remember early versions of RFB (and others) had fog issues, but I seldom see fog in RFB 2.0

In any case, fog is supposed to represent not only actual fog, but wind blown spray as well.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 12:12 PM   #15
Lexandro
Navy Dude

I dont use RFB, the whole swapping crew around every time I dive is annoying. Its all the enviromental mods, Pacific/Real/Improved Stock. They all have fog that appears far too frequently. In every single patrol I see more fog than rain or high winds. Also wind blown spray doesn't cut visibility to less than 1000 yards, and all these mods have "light fog" that may as well be heavy fog such is the vision nerf. I mean I actually live on the coast in a major shipping area and have been at sea numerous times myself. I've been in some real pee-soupers that you couldnt even see the bows of the ship, and heavy fog represents this very well, but both medium and low fog intensity and frequency is just far far to high in these mods.

Last edited by Lexandro; 09-08-14 at 01:33 PM.