SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-11, 04:51 PM   #5851
Chubster
Beach Leaf

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0
Default Inane question time....

When loading my career the splash screen says GWX Orders...Blah blah blah 1st and 2nd flotillas are advised to do a 5 day shakedown patrol then dock at home port...

When Game starts my orders are to patrol grid "whatever".....which am I supposed to do ?
Chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 05:00 PM   #5852
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubster View Post
When loading my career the splash screen says GWX Orders...Blah blah blah 1st and 2nd flotillas are advised to do a 5 day shakedown patrol then dock at home port...

When Game starts my orders are to patrol grid "whatever".....which am I supposed to do ?
GWX sends you out on a short shakedown cruise for experience before you get thrown into the real deal. Are you starting in August 1939? I'm not sure if it does that if you start your career when the war is already on.

The war doesn't start until Sept 1, and then only with Poland - not with England and France until Sept. 3, so if you are starting in August '39 there is no one to shoot at anyway because there's no war and everyone is still neutral.

If you are starting from Konigsberg, you'll have orders to do "target practice" on some ships that are conveniently scattered around nearby, and you'll lose renown for it (because the game considers them all neutral still) but GWX will have given you extra renown if you start from that flotilla to make up for it. (But stay away from any armed units - even your own - for 24 hours after you do any shooting, otherwise they'll fire on you because shooting at people when there's no war on makes you a rogue kaleun and they'll be after your hide!)

If you start from somewhere else in August 1939, just do your short shakedown patrol and return to base and then start a second patrol, which should put you out at sea closer to the start of the war.

GWX removes the renown reward for going to your assigned grid and doing the "required" 24 patrol there, so the only reason to follow those particular orders is because you want to for the sake of realism.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 06:48 PM   #5853
BRNR
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Here is what I did with the steam version.

I went to the steam apps folder and made a copy of the shIII game folder. I renamed that folder shIII GWX. I had two exact games folders now. I added the mod to the shIII GWX folder.

This left me with a vanilla install of SHIII and another install of SHIII with GWX. I then went to my steam library, and added a non steam game link and added the location of the SHIII GWX install as the new game. I renamed it in steam so when it pops up it says Silent Hunter III with GWX 3.0.

So after testing both installs, all works well.

MY QUESTION IS, how does this effect career files? Theres just the SHIII folder in my documents. I assume I might have to back that up.
Old 03-29-11, 07:59 PM   #5854
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNR View Post

I went to the steam apps folder and made a copy of the shIII game folder. I renamed that folder shIII GWX. I had two exact games folders now. I added the mod to the shIII GWX folder.

This left me with a vanilla install of SHIII and another install of SHIII with GWX. I then went to my steam library, and added a non steam game link and added the location of the SHIII GWX install as the new game. I renamed it in steam so when it pops up it says Silent Hunter III with GWX 3.0.

MY QUESTION IS, how does this effect career files? Theres just the SHIII folder in my documents. I assume I might have to back that up.
Excellent work! This may allow me to try out other super mods....

Make a backup of each SH3 folder in the mydocuments. You can swap them out as needed, but make sure you get the right folder with the right app, as they will both read the same folder and it may cause conflicts. But the careers folder is "hot-swappable" i believe, as I have just saved that folder as a backup and swapped it into new installs.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 11:43 AM   #5855
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRNR View Post

Rename each one to individually correspond with the installation the saves are from.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 03:46 PM   #5856
Chubster
Beach Leaf

Downloads: 162

Thanks again frau kaleun...your becoming my very own guardian angel
Chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 03:56 PM   #5857
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Thanks again frau kaleun...your becoming my very own guardian angel
Hmm... usually I'm more like the devil on the other shoulder, but whatever.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 04:21 PM   #5858
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Old 04-01-11, 03:20 PM   #5859
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 10:50 PM   #5860
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
What I do is a quick shake-down, which consists of a quick trip around the harbor. next I use Commander to set the Days In Port to 18. My next patrol starts on August 19, which is when fourteen u-boats were sent to the North Atlantic and told to wait. That way I get to make one free trip through the Channel and am in position on September 3.

Afterwards of course I reset Commander's Days In Base to 'Random'.
Old 04-02-11, 12:57 AM   #5861
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
What I do is a quick shake-down, which consists of a quick trip around the harbor. next I use Commander to set the Days In Port to 18. My next patrol starts on August 19, which is when fourteen u-boats were sent to the North Atlantic and told to wait. That way I get to make one free trip through the Channel and am in position on September 3.
Very sneaky...

Good way to jump the gun and put yourself in the right place at the right time. Might give this a whirl instead of the usual race for the straits before the big declaration.
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 01:31 AM   #5862
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish In The Water View Post
Very sneaky...

Good way to jump the gun and put yourself in the right place at the right time. Might give this a whirl instead of the usual race for the straits before the big declaration.
Sneaky? Well, since there were a bunch of boats on station I don't see why mine shouldn't be one. Then again I didn't see much traffic, and came home with four ships total.

On the other hand I only did that with my 2nd Flot boat. My 1st Flot Type II didn't make her first voyage until September 26. I haven't started the career in my 7th boat, but she probably won't put out any sooner. On the other hand her assigned grid will be AO95.
Old 04-02-11, 02:24 AM   #5863
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Sneaky?
In a good (stealthy - a.k.a. silent hunting) sort of way...

Quote:
Then again I didn't see much traffic, and came home with four ships total.
Too bad, still a good idea though. Never hurts being in the first echelon.

Quote:
My 1st Flot Type II didn't make her first voyage until September 26..
Wow, call me before the war's over...

I can almost hear the old war story now. Must have gone something like this:

"What did you do in the war daddy?"

"Well son, we spent the first month tied up at the dock, and then when we finally set sail we pretty much just hugged the shore."
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 08:51 PM   #5864
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3222

Default GWX environments

Some questions about the environments in GWX 3.0:

The "stock GWX" environment is a 8 KM environment?

What is the "polygon removed/reduced" environment in GWX 3? Only the 16 Km? Or the "stock GWX" also?

The question is how I see both environments: the "stock GWX" looks better in my machine, and it seems to have no polygons effects...I see the fog better in the "stock GWX" env.

Many thanks and best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 10:58 AM   #5865
BRNR
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Can we assume that if we load up SH3 with GWX and try to go online with a friend that is running the stock version of SHIII that it will not be a successful connection?