SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-04-10, 12:52 AM   #1
Paulie76
Seaman

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 5 - Honest Opinions?

I've been reading reviews, watching gameplay videos, looking at screenies and examining mods. My poor old computer probably couldn't take it. Though upgrades in Ram, video card, etc... have kept it in tip top shape, there's only so much upgrading you can do to a five year old beast, lol. But still I watch and think about SH5.

What I'm wondering is, based on what I've seen, what does SH5 offer me that would make it worth a whole new computer for me? What is there in the game that I don't already have with my modded SH3 (beyond graphics...thinking more in gameplay here)? To me, it looks like a glossed up version of what I've already got...so is it worth it?

Anyone have it? My questions aren't really answered with the screenies or videos I've seen since it's not really about graphics for me at all. But is the dynamic campaign that much better? Crew Management? etc...? Are the features of it worth the upgrade, or is there nothing new that I don't already have with my GWX, MaGUI, SH3Speech, etc...

Been wondering about this for a while. I was deathly afraid of reinstalling SH3 onto Windows 7 after reading some horror stories and I thought seriously of SH5 during that time. I'm very happy that my SH3 fears were put to rest and I'm happily cruising the GWX waters in search of convoys, but still the thought is niggling in my brain. So I ask for honest opinions. Is it worth it?

Paulie
Paulie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 01:12 AM   #2
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

I second this question.

Having enjoyed SH3+GWX so much, I've considered upgrading to SH5.

is it worth it?

Stock SH3 was just a game, but GWX feels immersive. I dont want to lose that feeling by 'upgrading'

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 01:55 AM   #3
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

The best thing you can do is ask this question in the SH5 forum as well. That way you can balance the "SH5 sux, that's why we still play SH3" comments from here with the "SH5 looks good enough to eat!" comments from the SH5 forum.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 06:35 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
The best thing you can do is ask this question in the SH5 forum as well. That way you can balance the "SH5 sux, that's why we still play SH3" comments from here with the "SH5 looks good enough to eat!" comments from the SH5 forum.
Agreed but I will say this....I can't think of any game worthy of a new computer purchase unless said rig is already planned/necessary anyway.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 06:59 AM   #5
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

I agree. I certainly wouldn't buy a new computer based solely on the weight of peoples' recommendation's here for one game. Might be a very expensive $1050 or whatever if the OP follows the "I agree "s but ends up not liking it himself. Much better to have a personal reason for upgrading (I upgraded my computer in Feb because I was sick of my daughter nagging me for one...), and then determining whether or not to stick with SH3 or go to SH5. At least then if SH5 "sux", you feel like you've only wasted $50, not $1050 (...so I have no regrets not installing SH5).

Having said that, I think a few people upgraded their computers just for SH5 and are happy, so to each their own.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 07:06 AM   #6
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Yep, I'd agree with Jasun and Jim. If you're going to buy a new computer then buy one, but don't buy it just for one game... Five years is a reasonable age to want to swap, and I think the more modern PCs will last much longer.

Every game, no matter how good/bad has it's knockers and it's pro-brigade, but the fact that now SH5 is available for only a tenner then it's got to be worth a peek, but only if your rig is up to it. Only you can then decide which camp to park your butt in.
Old 11-04-10, 07:15 AM   #7
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300

I agree with Jasun and Jim. I just will not buy a new PC or even upgrade for just a game.
Moreover I haven't read the best reviews for this game , full of bugs etc.
Anyway IMO SH3 + GWX and all these mods I can find is everything I need.
VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 08:54 AM   #8
Kapt Z
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 153

I'm still having too much fun with SH3+mods.

I haven't even made it to SH4 yet.

Besides, from my understanding SH5 seems to give you more eye candy, but not much else.

Type VII is the only boat you can choose.
Not a true dynamic campaign.
The war ends in 1943

Didn't see any need to rush out and get it.

Then again, it's been a long time since I visited the SH5 forum so maybe they have changed some things for the better.
Old 11-04-10, 09:01 AM   #9
Yoriyn
Planesman

Downloads: 154

Heh.
I upgrade my computer years ago to play SH3
Yoriyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 09:41 AM   #10
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Agreed but I will say this....I can't think of any game worthy of a new computer purchase unless said rig is already planned/necessary anyway.
I'm glad my wife didn't see that comment before I bought my last desktop. Otherwise she wouldn't have let me get it. I even bought a six piece surround sound speaker setup and a large "C" shaped desk so that I could place the satellite speakers in a proper surround sound configuration. The desk takes up nearly half of our bedroom. My wife would have chopped it up for firewood by now, but we don't have a fireplace in our home.
Old 11-04-10, 09:41 AM   #11
Paulie76
Seaman

Downloads: 60

Oh no no...sorry if I didn't explain right! Sometimes my typing gets ahead of my brain and it all stops making sense, lol. I should have worded it better.

My computer is old. I've upgraded it as much as I can and so any next step I take would be to a new computer. Regardless of gaming. I actually use it more for writing and 3D modeling and such rather than gaming. Just mulling over in my head when (and if) that new computer comes if I should dive into SH5 or reinstall SH3. That's all. I wouldn't buy a new computer for a game because at the moment there's only two games that I actually play, X-Plane and SH3.
Paulie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 09:43 AM   #12
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 39

Speaking of SH5, did they finally integrate truly functional AI boats and wolf packs, and if so, are they any good?
Old 11-04-10, 09:54 AM   #13
SilentSnake
Seaman

Downloads: 86

I believe they have. Its included in the IRAI mod by TDW. I dont think they can use the deck gun though but they definitely attack ships now together.
SilentSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 10:08 AM   #14
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie76 View Post
Oh no no...sorry if I didn't explain right! Sometimes my typing gets ahead of my brain and it all stops making sense, lol. I should have worded it better.

My computer is old. I've upgraded it as much as I can and so any next step I take would be to a new computer. Regardless of gaming. I actually use it more for writing and 3D modeling and such rather than gaming. Just mulling over in my head when (and if) that new computer comes if I should dive into SH5 or reinstall SH3. That's all. I wouldn't buy a new computer for a game because at the moment there's only two games that I actually play, X-Plane and SH3.
Well if you put it like that then a new rig it is, one of the first things you should do is install SH3, even if you buy SH5. And X-Plane. You'll get good returns on these games with a new multi processor and modern RAM and graphics cards. Just time how long it takes to load a session of SH3, before you buy your new rig, from clicking to start the game to getting past the 'Not so long ago...' screen. Then repeat with a new machine and be amazed
Old 11-04-10, 10:11 AM   #15
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I can't agree with those who say "Don't buy a whole new computer just for a game", mainly because I bought the one I have now just so I could play SH3. Everything else I do could be done on the rig I bought in 1998.

I would have bought a new computer already, but I had to put money into other projects, so I'm still waiting. And I need a newer rig to play SH3 with all the mods that have come along, let alone SH5.

As for SH5, it is better than SH3 in more ways than just graphics, but if it was just SH3 with the new graphics I'd buy it. Unfortunately, while there are improvements, it is incomplete as far as boats you can run and length of time you can play into the war. Still, the only thing keeping me from buying it is the DRM, which requires a constant connection. If you can live with that and its other failings, the price is certainly right.