SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-27-13, 06:52 AM   #211
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

There's a Guide - it's in .doc format, but you can read it with open office, and probably wordpad, - in the mod folder. The filepath is: OMEGU_v300\Support\OM_Readme_files\KiUB user guide. It's pretty comprehensive. My internet access is fairly limited so I can't do a lot of looking on youtube for tutorial vids. I found one - but it's not for the Karamazov KiUB. I like messing about with movie maker, so the idea of making a tutorial vid appeals, but it strikes me that it's the sort of thing that should be done by someone with more skill than me. The trouble is now I'm thinking about it I'm probably going to do it anyway.....

In case this helps: Here's a screenshot of the attack periscope screen:.....

Left panel: - pretty self explanatory really: T-Geschw = Torpedo speed; Tiefe = Torpedo depth; Pistole = detonating pistol; Laufstrecke = straight running distance, in hundreds of metres, for torpedoes that have FaT pattern running capabilities. - [the dial with the red and green segments sets the direction of the pattern after the straight run is finished]; Einzelshusse = tube selection for individual fire, the T/S dial sets individual or salvo fire; Streuwinkel = Spread angle, for salvo fire; Salvenschusse = Selects tubes to be fired as a salvo.

Either side of the bearing dial, there are two buttons: The left one is the Stadimeter, the right is the AoBF wheel. When you use the stadimeter, you put the waterline over the mast top in the usual way, but then you note where the reference line crosses the vertical degree scale. You match that number up, on the AoBF wheel, with the reference mark appropriate to the magnification you're using, and the target range will be next to the height. The scales run from outer to inner; [1] Target length/height in metres [2] Range x100m/Time/sec [3] Target Height/Length in degrees [4] AoB.

This is a pretty brilliant tool. It will give you all the info you need for a firing solution. use it in conjunction with the ID Target button on the periscope toolbar. Point your head towards the target and set your scope dead ahead and time how long it takes for the target to cross the wire. Then set the time in seconds [using the range scale] against the length [outer scale] and the target speed is under the red index mark. in dim light where you can't get an ID, but you can see enough to time the target through the crosshairs, just note the time and wait until you can ID it to do the sum. Then set your course to cut the target track at 90 deg, and stop working there. If you're not set up for a 90 degree shot then you need accurate range and AoB info, and the PDF tells you how to work that out. It's scary accurate, but you have to make sure your screen resolution returns the right info - mine doesn't, and so I had to do lots of practice shoots to get the correction factor - which is only an issue with hail mary shots anyway - set up for a shot on the beam and you're in target heaven....

Right hand panel - Target info:
Gegnerfahrt
= Target speed;
Auftreff-W
= Track angle/ impact angle - this is important because past a certain angle - about 20 deg I think - the impact pistol won't work, so you either wait for a favourable angle or use the magnetic pistol and risk a premature detonation;
Gegnerlage = AoB The numbers in the cutaway segment are individual degrees, the dial increments are in tens of degrees. read the number in the colour appropriate to the bearing. In the pic the AoB is 117 port;
Peilung = bearing to target. The lower dial is in tenths of a degree;
Entfernung = Range to target;
The bottom two dials are the gyro angle, once again one is calibrated in whole degrees, the other in tenths;
The blue light in the middle is the manual input button. set your target info, lock the target in the scope, turn off manual input and watch the gyro angle move towards zero - when it gets there, fire.

It's worth playing in the mission editor to build yourself a mission with a stationary sub and four or five stationary targets at various ranges and aspect angles. Make a note of their ranges and headings, run the mission and make sure that the info you're getting from the stadimeter is accurate, and if it isn't, what the correction factor is. If you don't fancy the maths, then doing this will give you an idea of either how much to aim off, or how big a gyro angle means abandoning the shot. Of course, my display is a funny one - yours may be fine, but it's worth checking.

Anyway, I hope this, and the user guide clears up any issues you might have. Manual targeting is the only way to go.....
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke

Last edited by in_vino_vomitus; 07-27-13 at 08:18 AM.
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-13, 03:00 PM   #212
airsangel
Loader

Downloads: 215

thanks alot i found the guide trying to learn anything...but is there a way to change the german text and markers to english ?
airsangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-13, 05:56 PM   #213
in_vino_vomitus
XO

I haven't installed it, so I can't say for sure, but there's a KiUB_English module - that sounds like it should be the thing...
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO17_19_different_smoke
Old 07-27-13, 08:02 PM   #214
airsangel
Loader

will trying installing everything from scratch an installation for tmo and other for om... and i will even try adding some minor mods like longer sinking times and ship sink from fire
Old 07-28-13, 05:35 PM   #215
in_vino_vomitus
XO

There are a couple of Kriegsmarine chart mods that I like - and I'd definitely recommend a german language pack - it doesn't seem right having a U-Boat crew sounding American
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO17_19_different_smoke
Old 07-28-13, 09:07 PM   #216
airsangel
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_vino_vomitus View Post
There are a couple of Kriegsmarine chart mods that I like - and I'd definitely recommend a german language pack - it doesn't seem right having a U-Boat crew sounding American
i thought OMEGU updates game file and has german speaking crew ??

or should i download the spax german speech fix...i used it before
Old 07-29-13, 03:42 AM   #217
in_vino_vomitus
XO

That's a good point. The first time I installed OM/OMEGU I didn't read the documentation and so I didn't unpack the individual modules, so I have no idea what speech pack comes as standard. by the time I'd worked that out, I had DBSM downloaded. Given the work that obviously went into the mod, it seems reasonable that the speech would be made authentic too - my bad....
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO17_19_different_smoke
Old 07-29-13, 09:36 AM   #218
airsangel
Loader

today i will check spax speech fix and one coming standard with omegu...to see which is really better...in terms of speaking voices of all commands i give..and alarms and indications...etc
Old 07-31-13, 03:48 AM   #219
SnipersHunter
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 201

Good job
SnipersHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-15, 12:39 PM   #220
nonakosa
Watch

Downloads: 196

Hello, I apologize if this has already been addressed, but I have been unable to find clear instructions. I am using SH4 1.5 and I would like to use Operation Monsun with the OM Plot mod. The instructions seem a bit confusing to me as OM Plot says that it is OMEGU minus the eye candy. According to the OM Plot readme:

If you wish to play US Navy and Uboat operations and use OM Plot
OM v705
OM v720
OM v720 Patch4
OM Plot V415

But, according to the Operation Monsun:

If you wish to play US Navy and Uboat operations and use OMEGU
RSRDC v550
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
OM v705
OM v720
OM v720 Patch5
OMEGU v300
OMEGU v300 Patch 7

Wouldn't OM Plot V415 take the place of the OMEGU mods in the second list? Is there a reason that the RSRDC mods work with OMEGU, but not with OM Plot?

My concern is that I do want to play both US and German, but I would rather not have to swap mods between or have multiple installs. Is it safe to just swap the OMEGU mods in the second list for the OM Plot mod if that is all I want? If not, what would I be losing by not having the RSRDC mods?

Thanks
nonakosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-15, 05:11 AM   #221
ChaosDuck7
Loader

Downloads: 107

Is there any way to get the SH3 style targeting "notepad" back? Where you can estimate speed, AOB, range via stadimeter and send the info to the tdc?

Or is this mod ONLY manual targeting?

Why are a ton of merchants named with random letters? And it even seems like some have duplicate entries

Another thing, is there any way to remove the crosshairs from the binoculars? They really bug me lol.

Finally, is there a hotkey to toggle the TDC on and off? I played a GUI mod for SH3 that set it to "control T" and it was super helpful.

Last edited by ChaosDuck7; 07-08-15 at 05:48 AM.
ChaosDuck7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-15, 09:29 AM   #222
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosDuck7 View Post
Why are a ton of merchants named with random letters? And it even seems like some have duplicate entries.
That is based on the American system of identifying ships by the layout. 'F' stands for funnel, 'K' is for kingpost (cargo hoist) and 'M' is for mast. In the US recognition manuals all ships of similar layout are grouped together so it's quick and easy to find the ship type under observation. On the other hand the Germans system was nothing like that, at least as far as I'm aware.

I use Op Monsun, but I don't use OMEGU for that very reason, that it changes a lot more than just the environment.

Old 07-08-15, 08:01 PM   #223
ChaosDuck7
Loader

hmmmm thats kinda unfortunate.

I think it would bother me too much having an american identification system on a german uboat. Im really picky about these things.

No way to fix that im assuming?
Old 07-08-15, 08:21 PM   #224
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I don't know. As I said, it's one of the reasons I don't use OMEGU.
Old 07-08-15, 08:34 PM   #225
ChaosDuck7
Loader

Oh but its in regular operation monsun im pretty sure?

Brb gonna go make sure.

edit:
Yeah i disabled omegu and i still have the merchants with the american identification system in the ident book.