SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-08, 11:28 AM   #346
Sockeye
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0

Been doing quite a bit of reading the passed few months, and thought I'd share a few highlights and quick impressions.

Decided to give Tom Clancy a second shot after being disappointed by one of his more recent novels which I won't name. "The Hunt for Red October" was an excellent read, and I was actually surprised how "small" a role Jack Ryan played for the most part--i.e., I thought it was at a more realistic/believable level in comparison to the movie. I'll probably stick to Clancy's earlier works rather than his newer... stuff.

Read "Apollo 13" by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger. I think this is a rewrite of "Lost Moon" with a more recognizable title after the movie came out. Not really any surprises about the events if you're familiar with them, but a good read. I wish this one had been a bit more technical, but I guess there's other books for that.

Probably the most interesting in terms of that "human condition" thing people talk about is "The Hunters" by James Salter. Basically, it's about a flight leader in the Korean War who's having a stream of bad luck in the kill department, with others questioning his courage, etc; the implicit responsibilities of being not only a flight lead, a combat pilot, but a man in general. Surprisingly deep stuff for a combat novel I thought, and well written. Usually I shy away from all this emotional stuff when trying to be entertained, so maybe it's simply the setting, but this one's pulled off well in my opinion.

Just finished "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe about the early American space program, which I thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end. If you've seen the movie, there are some differences in the book, but they both have the same "gung ho" attitude, and I think that's what counts here. "Averages? Those are for people with the average stuff!" This one is a favourite for me now.

Just started "Cross of Iron" by Willi Heinrich, about a German Wermacht platoon on the Eastern Front in WWII. Have only read about a dozen pages, but I like how the author is setting up the platoon dynamics so far. I haven't seen the movie in years, and can only remember a few things from it, so it'll be interesting to compare the two once the last page is turned.

Sockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 10:07 AM   #347
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2

I am with you there Sockeye. I agree, Clancy's earlier stuff was better IMO. I have found the same same with King and Kooztz. I cannot read any of their newer releases, they are just horrible in comparison to their earlier works. Maybe it is like the story of the songwriter, they only have so many songs in them. The same may be true with these Authors.
Frame57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 01:16 PM   #348
wireman
Sparky

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts
Well, I was trying to read Theodore Mason's Battleship Sailor... but some library patron had torn pages out of it at random.

Jackass.

What a shame. I've read all 3 of Mason's memoirs: Battleship Sailor, Rendezvous With Destiny, and "We Will Stand by You": Serving in the Pawnee, 1942-1945. They are all very entertaining.
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 09:08 PM   #349
TheBrauerHour
Mr. Eastwood

I am reading this book:

"The Depths of Courage: American Submariners at war with Japan, 1941-1945" by Flint Whitlock and Ron Smith.

http://www.amazon.com/Depths-Courage...6347061&sr=8-1
TheBrauerHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 09:22 PM   #350
AirborneTD
Engineer

Downloads: 23

Bringing the Thunder (The Missions of a WWII B-29 Pilot in the Pacific) by Gordon Bennett Robertson, JR.
Old 07-18-08, 11:12 AM   #351
mcf1
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 10

Recently I crashed with my motorcycle and now I'am have 6 weeks off to recover, so I have a lot of time now, so I read the GWX 2.1 manual twice, I read a book called "Luciano" and currently I'm reading "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (probably for the fifth time) and I'm thinking about reading the Bible.
mcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 10:47 AM   #352
TheBrauerHour
Mr. Eastwood

Wow, hope you have a speedy recovery. Enjoy the reading though.

By the way, what is Luciano about?
TheBrauerHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-08, 01:36 PM   #353
DemonTraitor
Loader

Downloads: 0

Hi peeps

I am reading "The Naked God" By Peter F Hamilton - it is the last book in the "The Night's Dawn" trilogy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night%27s_Dawn_Trilogy

I am also reading: "U-Boat War Patrol - The Hidden Photographic Diary of U-564"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/U-boat-War-P.../dp/185367575X

Also...

I am listening to:

"Thievery Corporation" http://www.thieverycorporation.com/
"Zero 7" http://www.zero7.co.uk/
"Massive Attack" http://www.massiveattack.co.uk/

Also...

I am watching:

"Lost" (currently on series one - I know we are a bit behind but we have not had much time to watch too much TV, and I had to download all the episodes to watch via the PS3)

"Heroes": Which is currently end of season

"Battlestar Galactica": Which is also currently not running due to the writers strike

Demon.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die"
DemonTraitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-08, 12:41 AM   #354
mcf1
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrauerHour
Wow, hope you have a speedy recovery. Enjoy the reading though.

By the way, what is Luciano about?
Thanks
Luciano is about a mafia boss called "Lucky" Luciano, who helped the allies for the invasion in Italy. I read it in German and it's title is "Luciano", but I think the original
English title is "Luciano's luck"
mcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 12:48 PM   #355
trojer
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

I am reading The rules of the game :Jutland and British naval command by Andrew Gordon. Excellent book but long at over 600 pages.
trojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 01:23 PM   #356
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Just finished taking notes an constructing a timeline from Morison's The European Discovery of America. Now starting volume 2: The Southern Voyages - 1492-1616.
Old 07-22-08, 02:57 PM   #357
Kaleun
Chief

Downloads: 266

Hi,

Just finished "Submarine : An Anthology of Firsthand Accounts of the War Under the Sea, 1939-45"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Submarine-An...6756809&sr=1-4

Very personal, no bias - just stories told by those who were there! whether you be american, german, british, polish, russian, italian or french - there are diary entries from all the major sub nations of ww2.

Bloody excellent and i paid full price, not what the link above is offering.

Kaleun
Kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 03:23 PM   #358
Captain Strangelove
Mate

Hi All.

I am currently reading 'Red Scorpion - The War Patrols Of The USS Rasher' by Peter T. Sasgen and published by the Naval Institute Press.
It is written by the son of one serving aboard and is nicely told (despite the slightly silly title).
But those Bluejacket books by the NIP are always a good read.

Cheers

Kai
Captain Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 11:31 PM   #359
LobsterBoy
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 44

I'm currently reading Silent Victory by Blair, which I bought at the Bowfin museum in Hawaii on my honeymoon. Next it will be Thunder Below by Fluckey.

Finally, if someone is looking for a book on the current Iraq war, House to House by Sgt. Bellavia is an excellent memoir.
LobsterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 02:12 PM   #360
IotaSigma
Nub

Downloads: 1

The Boats of Cherbourg, by Abraham Rabinovich. It tells the story of the development of Israel's missile boat program and the sea battles fought with Egypt and Syria during the Yom Kippur War.
IotaSigma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books