SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-04-08, 08:30 AM   #16
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
Quote:
"The Boat" is definitely on my list
You'll be in for a shock with that one, definitely not for kids!!
My 6 year old son loves the movie. We watched it during some boy bonding while mom and daughter were at a wedding shower doing girl bonding one Saturday. The boy was full of questions. It was a lot of fun. Afterwards, we played SH3 and had a blast.

The other night, he was looking at my copy of the book and asked if he could read it. I told him it was pretty hard to read for a six year old and said there was some parts not quite appropriate for little children. Told him he'd have to wait a few years before taking that one on.

I've been expanding my library quite a bit with U-boat books and my son loves looking at the pictures in the books and asking a million questions as well as watching me play and asking a million and one questions.
“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 11:34 AM   #17
Piggy
Ensign

Downloads: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
Quote:
"The Boat" is definitely on my list
You'll be in for a shock with that one, definitely not for kids!!
Well if the movie was any "hint" at what was in the book I think I have a good idea of what you're talking about , no worries Im 34.

I do have a 2-1/2 year old boy though, a little young to watch the movie (or even sit still for 1 minute...) but in the future Im pretty sure he'll be into dads movies/games/books. He does have a toy sub he plays with in the bath, seems to really like it...

Cheers
Piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 03:45 AM   #18
Stingray67
Seaman

Downloads: 2

I have just finished reading Wolf: U-boat commanders in World War II by Jordan Vause
I found it impossible to put down and read it through in one day.

It deals not so much with the events of the war and the u-boat campaign but rather concentrates on the commanders involved, notably tracking the careers of Jürgen Oesten, Victor Oehrn and Wolfgang Lüth as well as painting a detailed portrait of Karl Dönitz.

This is a must-read for anyone even remotely interested in the u-boat war.
Old 09-12-08, 03:44 PM   #19
wireman
Sparky

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy
Wow, Im a little overwhelmed by the responses, thanks everyone, I have my work cut out for me just looking at all of the books mentioned.

I always buy hardcover if I can, (curious about why the 1st edition is best though?) Im into the techincal books as well as personal stories, the latter I find the most intriguing but a great techincal book with pics & detialed specs are great as well.

Cheers
1st. edition isn't always the best. They often contain the errors that are fixed in later editions. Hardcover is always better for endurance and resale.
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote