SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-25-10, 07:14 AM   #1
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Its the fact its not optimized, I'm running a 5870 and with maxed settings or lowest settings the control room always stutters, and the mouse lags about. ANYWHERE else on the sub its smooth as you would imagine a monster gpu like the 5870 would run.

Edit: I would like to mention that with vsync off the game runs just fine on any settings High, Med, Low, Custom. So I'm inclined to think the vsync is the issue.. as the shadows make no difference on my system.
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 09:29 AM   #2
Capt_Sluggo
Watch

Downloads: 13

The prior posters are correct in that for whatever reasons, SH5 (and 4 too) are more GPU-demanding than other high-end graphics games.

Check the temperature - your card may be getting too hot. I have a fully water-cooled system and my 2-year-old 260 runs SH5 butter smooth at max settings, 1900x1080 (Samsung 37" ). That is, except for a little bit of hesitation mousing around in the control room which seems to afflict everyone regardless of GPU. Shadows on/off makes no difference in frame rates.
Capt_Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 03:05 PM   #3
reboot
Mate

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Its the fact its not optimized, I'm running a 5870 and with maxed settings or lowest settings the control room always stutters, and the mouse lags about. ANYWHERE else on the sub its smooth as you would imagine a monster gpu like the 5870 would run.

Edit: I would like to mention that with vsync off the game runs just fine on any settings High, Med, Low, Custom. So I'm inclined to think the vsync is the issue.. as the shadows make no difference on my system.
I have a 5770 and everything maxed, but have to turn off vsync as well.
Everything runs great. I upgraded from an 8800 GT, which ran the game ok, except for shadows. Maybe the patch will take care of some of these issues.
Old 04-25-10, 03:08 PM   #4
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Hmm, try setting the nvidia contorl panel choose the settings if your haveing issues with Nvidia, I knoticed a improvement with that.
game runs nice with a smaller resolution with everything on high on my 8800gts.
Old 04-25-10, 03:53 PM   #5
goldwing
Watch

Downloads: 30

Here are some details of my problem. I have been playing with this now for 24 hours. Pc specs are Intel Q6600 step, 4 gig ddr2@1066, 650w ps, Rez@1920x1080, Win7 64 . I have been using the second on the list of historical missions called "in site of everything" as my testing scene, using the first few minutes of the mission to look at my fps. As some as you know the first part has no shooting or explosions but has plenty of ship movement so alots going on. After many hours of peaking my old 8800GT i was getting 32fps outside on bridge, main map i got 59fps, if i stepped down to the attack periscope i got mid 40's i believe (Both hatches closed). I told myself "not bad..playable.... but i want more". Hence the new GTX260...now comes the fun part... same setting/scene with only difference being the card swap i am getting at best 14fps outside on bridge, at attack periscope with hatches closed i get 14fps yet at main map (heres where i want to pull my hair out) i get 75fps. So 50% improvement at map and 50% loss everywhere else. Does that make any sence to anyone? Hell i was just looking for a 20-30% increase but nothing like this. Any ideas would be great

Game settings are set to high except shadows and uncheck v-sync and 3d clouds.
goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 05:14 PM   #6
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

hmm, strange, have you checked your drivers?
Old 04-25-10, 05:29 PM   #7
goldwing
Watch

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force View Post
hmm, strange, have you checked your drivers?
Yes i used 197.45 for both cards which are the latest.
goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 06:50 PM   #8
Nico09
Gunner

Downloads: 45

I have recently upgraded from 512mb 8800GT Overclocked to a 1GB GTs 250 and am puzzled by your performance or lack of it . Im using the same drivers as yourself but have no drop in gameplay. I am unsure of the FPS as until reading this thread I didn't know how to, although control room is very smooth with no lag. I am playing on 1280 x1024, with everything maxed, i'll have a proper look at the settings tommorrow and let you know

Playing on Intel Core Quad Q6600 @2.4Ghz
3GB RAM (unsure what type)
Vista 32bit SP 2
Nvidia 1GB GTS 250 Overclocked

p.s. Try dropping back your drivers to older versions, may help.
Nico09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 08:03 PM   #9
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

I'm using a GTS250 (1GB) and no issues at all. Only thing i turned down was shadows to medium. Everything else maxed at 1680x1050

My System:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (Dual Core) /w 2GB System Ram

It's almost 2 years old now & getting long in the tooth.. but im still playing all the games out with high detail.

I had Windows7 on here briefly, but i got alot better performance in games with XP... so i promptly removed 7. Maybe after a few service packs and i build a new PC i'll give it another try.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote